1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lonzo Ball is one

harold bingo likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Long list. And personally I don't consider him a pure point guard. I see him as a combo guard too. But I'll bite. How do you propose we obtain him?

Corrosion and Os Trigonum like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It was just an observation, Ball is definitely a pass first point guard. KPJ is not. And he’s also not on the level of some of the elite combo guards pretending to be point guards.
    You’re right in the sense that there aren’t many younger pass first guards. Ball is close to a younger Rubio, which is what this team needs if………..the goal is to have Green be main scoring guard and actually use our big men for more than blocking dummies.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, you’re not a point guard if facilitating is a weakness.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

So, Porter vowed just to be himself and to be better, with the former bringing him confidence he would achieve the latter.

“I meant that label, that ‘point guard’ label,” Porter said. “Basketball today is hardly traditional. I tried to become a traditional (point guard) but that’s not me at all. I’m ‘Scoot.’ I get a bucket or set my guy up. (On Friday), you could see I was more comfortable being aggressive and making my decisions. That’s just how I’m going to have to play — Scoot ball.”

“It’s more so, getting people in the right spots, seeing the mismatch, seeing things before they happen, getting my pieces right together,” Porter said. “I think I did a good job (Friday) with the mismatches and trying to get that switch, going to the post with C-Wood (Christian Wood) and D.T. (Daniel Theis) with the drop-offs. But I just have to do that a lot more.

“I have to be more vocal and I will move my pieces around like a chess game. I have to get my guys in the right spots to be successful. Playing against people like that, I’m going to learn at a rapid pace.”

“For him and me, it’s really focusing on what he’s doing well,” Rockets coach Stephen Silas said. “He really is doing some good things at the point but it’s a hard position to learn.

“It’s like a rookie quarterback. It’s tough when your whole life you thought about how you play and now, you’re in a position to try to make a group play well. That’s a hard adjustment. He’s doing some things that are really good. He has to understand that.”

Rudyc281, Bo6, tycoonchip and 5 others like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

well, we have the words of Dame and Kevin Love saying he has among the highest potential in the league on one hand, or of rando teenagers saying we should cut him immediately so Josh Christopher can play PG on the other…

Decisions, decisions. I don’t envy Stone.

8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

My problem with him is that he doesn't seem to be bothered by all this losing. All he cares is his statline.

9. TimDuncanDonaut

KPJ may be a better player than Green right now, because of defense and longer time in the league. But if Jalen really needs the ball to succeed. Could Green play PG and KPJ moves to the SG? Let Jalen be that combo guard. Even though Jalen is skinny, against other team's PG, his height should still match well.

If Jalen is the future, I'm OK with ending the experiment on KPJ, make KPJ a 6th man, if we have to. Because KPJ's being an OK player, can't be at Green's expense. I know the original intent was to make both of them work, but the offense is so bad, that starts with the 'quarterback', and that's KPJ.

cheke64 likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jalen is not a PG.

11. fattz

fattz Member

Hey coach change the system and run through Sengun in the high post. This puts BOTH GUARDS in winning positions. Coach you change to fit the players. Maybe you are the rookie quarterback.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ha. What gives you that idea? All I see is a young kid getting frustrated with losing. He is working as hard as anyone on the team to improve. That is such an ignorant take.

harold bingo and D-rock like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It needs to be the other way around. Green should become the sixth man playing against other team’s second unit to gain confidence. Put Gordan and Sengun playing with Porter and find out if Porter can turn the corner with a more prepared group of guys. Of course, Silas is a fool, so probably won’t happen.

D-rock and Bobbythegreat like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Pretty much what I said a page earlier .... Link

Make Green the 6th man and put some damn shooters around KPJ.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Clutchfans hate him but all-stars love him lol

D-rock likes this.
  16. PatBev

PatBev Member

I actually think KPJ actually shows the most frustration with losing. Especially if it’s his own mistakes. He seems to take that **** to heart

Plowman, D-rock, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

A lot of you blaming Kevin Porter Jr being the problem of the Rockets' losing right now. But maybe this team isn't good enough to win? They also been playing playoff teams lately another reason why they keep losing.. Hey at least they get another chance to get another top 5 pick next year. Let's get positive here!

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen, brother.

D-rock likes this.
  19. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Problem is we don’t have a PG on the roster :eek:

20. StrawberryJamm

He really needs a good floater.

Crashlanded19 likes this.