1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Sixers felt Houston did not call them back for a counteroffer before Brooklyn deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Naw. A contending team is keeping him to contend, unless he can be traded for something better like Harden.

2. Denovo

Denovo Member

It’s also highly unlikely that they will walk and the Nets still remain a playoff team. Nobody is giving up assets for 34 year olds.

they won’t bounce back immediately and for those down years we have their picks.

the Nets weren’t even Kyrie and KDs first choice. It was the Knicks.

It’s much more probable for them to be a lottery team after this run than a playoff team.

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya exactly, if he was worth all these picks he’d have been traded in a 3 way for someone like beal

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

What’s the point - Simmons isn’t a #1 guy so the trade wouldn’t have ever made sense without a few high draft picks included that Houston could take a shot in getting one. Otherwise, what was the point in collecting “Robins” and being capped out on the off chance you have a chance to sign a Batman?

napalm06 likes this.
  5. HROZ

HROZ Member

Really cutting off our nose to spite Morey imo.

I'd have prefered Simmons Thybulle

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you're right, but to say market is irrelevant when that is the only reason they are stacked right now is short sighted. You felt your previous statements were backed by numerical "facts". Well, as long as NYC is largest city in America, players will continue to go there in search of endorsement deals and branding. The Knicks have blacklisted themselves because of Dolan, that is the only reason people aren't headed there as well. I can't believe I'm debating with someone whether a large market team will be attractive to players in the future. It's the sort of thing that is basically ruining the league right now. I assure you, Leonard wasn't considering the Twolves, Thunder and the Pelican. If we were talking about one of those teams, then sure, I think you would be right.

7. Denovo

Denovo Member

it not about whether they will be attract to free agents or not. I agree with that. I said market isn’t relevant to this argument.

you’re saying they won’t have a drop off into the lottery after the KD Harden era because BKN is a big market. When the Knicks and LA have proven otherwise.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Both of those franchises have a second team in that city, so players are still choosing to go to that city, just not that team if they have a choice. While players were avoiding the Knicks and Lakers, Nets and Clippers got stacked.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I believe you are in the minority on that one

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Every trade scenario on CF over the last couple months mentions some dude Thybulle like he's a household name. Like Simmons AND Thybulle!! I'm like "what am I missing here? I must not be paying attention"

I finally look this dude up, and he averages 2.6 ppg. WTF.

Bo6, BigShasta, Jayzers_100 and 2 others like this.
  12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

So did Rodman and Ben Wallace. Thybulle's value is not in his PPG. That said, I think he's overrated as well. I think he would have been great with Harden though, he hits corner 3's and plays elite defense. Not much different than what Tucker gives us,just in different ways

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So with the report that the Sixers FO were split on trading for Harden it sounds like entertaining more calls when you wanted this to get over with ASAP wasn't in the Rockets purview. Sixers were still dragging their feet on this and the Rockets were ready to make a deal especially with what recently happened and they were going to sit him out games.

I can see why the Rockets just pulled the trigger on the trade, get the picks, get Oladipo, and just move forward.

BigShasta, Easy and Patience like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is what I thought too. Sixers have been reported that they had more than one voice internally in this deal. It is likely that waiting for them to make a decision would take too long (unless there is a very good chance that they would offer something far better than the Nets, which is not very likely).

HP3 and JayGoogle like this.
  15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

F' you Morey! Seriously. Jerry West practically gifted Pau Gasol to the Lakers. Our parting gift was a giant F' U Houston and now I'm going to try and steal your best player? Seriously? In my industry we call it poaching employees. I respected Morey's decision to leave. It was his right and I get working for Tillman may suck. Attempting to poach Harden though is just bad juju.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

simmons looks like a f'n joke in this game against MEM. and ****** morey stuck w/ that contract now lol

ChillyPete32 and BigShasta like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah and the longer this dragged the more it just hangs over the team every day. It seems like the Rockets were at least contemplating letting it play out longer as we heard they planned on just sitting Harden out if you remember so it really does feel like they just decided to take the best offer they had and move on.

Easy likes this.
  18. delta69er

delta69er Member

IMO - this was definitely a middle finger to Moraye by Ferntits. No matter what they say, business IS personal.

19. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Rockets dodged a bullet???

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ben Simmons is a joke when it comes to being a franchise player, but that’s what many were calling him on here.

Rockets trying to build around him the next couple of years would’ve been a complete waste of time

IB4 somebody says he’s a jumper away from being on Bron’s level...