1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Verlander and Cole Linked to “Doctored” Baseballs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by vator, Jan 8, 2021.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Sticky substance used to increase spin rate. Just when you thought it was over. This is going to be big in the news cycle. Evidence of more cheating. Meanwhile, still no news on the Yankees.

2. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

Obligatory Yankees did it first post (2014):

[​IMG]

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

What a joke... lots of players involved in this yet most of the articles out put this on the Astros in the headlines and some don't even mention the other players by name.

Here are the names according to ESPN...

"he identified Cole, Justin Verlander, Edwin Jackson, Max Scherzer, Felix Hernandez, Corey Kluber, Joba Chamberlain, Adam Wainwright and Tyler Chatwood among the pitchers who previously asked for his specific blend of pine tar and rosin."

"Harkins also named several current and former Angels -- Percival, Brendan Donnelly, Kevin Jepsen, Cam Bedrosian, Keynan Middleton, Yusmeiro Petit, Luke Bard, Matt Andriese, Dylan Peters, Jose Suarez, Kaleb Cowart and Dylan Bundy -- who used the blend."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...-attendant-names-pitchers-ball-doctoring-case

JayGoogle and everyday eddie like this.
  5. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

whatever happend to joba

6. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

The real scandal is about to be blown open folks. Get ready.

Htown Stros and Joe Joe like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Unlike Astros version of sign stealing, I suspect sticky substances matter a lot more. Though, I expect greater than 50% of pitchers use it so it may average out.

8. conquistador#11

Doctored baseballs? MLb should know something about that.

BigM and ryan_98 like this.
  9. Radricky

Radricky Member

So let me get this straight. The angels orginazation supplied illegal substances to pitchers across the league for years, supplied drugs that resulted in the death of a player, but the Astros orginazation is still the scum of the league?

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Change person to team and the Astros can relate to this.

The Beard likes this.
  11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Most are Angels and this came from an Angels employee (or former Angel employee). The same franchise where a pitcher died of substance abuse that was apparently rampant with the team and others around the team. The Angels should be the headliners in this article with the Astros at the footnote. If you want to demonize a franchise, go after the one that contributed to an actual player's death die due to actions of others in the franchise. Crazy, but Astros will get singled out again but at least the Astros are not the only ones named so the beloved LA franchise will not be dragged through the ringer on this and therefore neither will the Astros. Don't see this becoming a big deal due to so may others being involved. Swept under the rug as they say.

Invisible Fan, Astrofan59 and TWS1986 like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

The outrage of reporters and fans over "cheating" in baseball just shows how incredibly large the gulf is between what those on the outside think goes on and is accepted by players and managers and what ACTUALLY happens.

Cheating has been rampant in baseball for as long as the game has existed. When I worked for the Astros I saw players openly discuss cheating and anything to get an advantage... everything from medicine to improve concentration, to altering baseballs and bats, to substances on baseballs and even discussions of hormone treatments. This is really a non story to me, but whatever. I still remember Astros players being envious that the Cards pitchers were better at cheating, including Jeff Supan and others.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Of the cheating going on, I suspect service time manipulation and doctoring the ball are the biggest impacts on the game today. I hate having a rule and not enforcing it during games consistently. Either remove rule or enforce it.

I think the number of Ks dropping would be statistically noticeable if MLB kept pitchers from doctoring the ball.

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

There is no question that doctoring the ball at this point is the largest issue with spin rates and the such.

Service time manipulation is a big problem but I will tell you that from the front office perspective there was and likely still is a lot of chicanery with international players and signings. Some teams like the Braves and Padres and Dodgers are famous for under the door payments and payments to runners/agents/scouts to get the best of the international players. The Braves were recently punished but if you believe what is said around the game, the Padres and Dodgers were HEAVILY involved in just the last few years.

jiggyfly and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While I suspect the international player signings have more shadiness on them, the impact of each service time manipulation is huge. The Dodgers getting a year of Bellinger in 2017 without having to use up a year of service time is basically a $40M dollar cheat or the payroll for Cleveland this season.

Nook, Screaming Fist and The Beard like this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

How could the Angels be sooo bad in pitching while having these 'resources' in-house?

...and do the Nationals now vacate the title due to Max Scherzer?

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Everyone is cheating the astros just had mike fiers tell on them. They should have just paid him off.

Duke Fan likes this.
  18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Braves GM ended up with a lifetime ban.

Nook likes this.
  19. Screaming Fist

It’s surprising usage isn’t universal outside of sinker/change pitchers. You’re literally losing out on money by not doing it.

No Worries likes this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Surveys of players/coaches a while back suggested it was 70 or 75%. My skepticism or surveys suggests it is either much higher or much lower than 70%.