1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Texans Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Talk about off-season stuff here.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Asschin can't hurt us anymore, but this offseason will still be hampered due to his incompetence.

Really not a ton the new regime can do talent wise this year. Just have to get your system in place and coach em up, see what players are worthy of keeping. This offeason they need to eat some cap money so we can actually start to add some talent next offseason. Rip the band aid off now and don't let it linger.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Damion Laverne

A lot of tough decisions have to be made.

Like the Cowboys, the Texans have handed out a lot of money to guys who didn't perform well. The defense needs to be overhauled. I think the secondary gets a little bit too much blame. This team has no pass rush or linebacker depth, either.

Offensively, I don't think it's nearly as bad. Interior O-Line and running back would be my priority.

I see no reason why JJ Watt should be on this team in 2021.

Deshaun had his best statistical season this year. I think he needs to sit down and figure out how to beat blitz coverage faster, but I liked the improvement in other areas of his game. Also, D4 needs to take more ownership of the offense (call more plays, audible more); the OC let him down way too much.

Finally: the sooner Easterby is booted out of the building, the better. This guy is a huckster and a snake. He cannot be trusted. I REPEAT--HE CANNOT BE TRUSTED.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

GUYS I WOULD CUT:
    Martin, Merciless, McKinney, Watt, Fulton, David Anderson, I'd cut Cooks too since his contract is not guaranteed (no safety blankets right lol) bye to Cobb and Murray.

I'd also cut/let walk the juicers in Fuller and Roby.

Get rid of all that dead weight and hope that the new GM/Coach combo have a better knack for talent evals and throw money at some stop gap vets who can buy you a year or two across the board.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Find the right GM, find the right coach, and overhaul the defense. We could easily win our division; went toe to toe with the colts and Titans and lost to them in the waning seconds

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

King1 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, such a critically important offseason with respect to those key hiring decisions!!

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Gannon said D4 is going to Cabo tomorrow!? Maybe he's gonna beach train a la Zeke?

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Trade tunsil for Miami's 2nd rounder (#36 via HOU) and fire easterby.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Not all of these cuts would save capspace, some would need to be traded.

We should explore trades for picks first

Fantasma Negro and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Man. Where to begin? O'Brien just absolutely gutted this team. They need to hire a good GM ASAP and let him get started on the lengthy process of fixing all the holes. They need a coaching staff so the GM can determine what kind of players they need for whatever system they plan on running. They need a LOT of help on defense no matter what they plan on doing on that side of the ball because they don't have the personnel to run ANYTHING at the moment. I mean, ****, they need basically everything aside from a QB. The offense might be okay, but literally every other thing is a disaster in this organization. What a mess!

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sure if possible. Im not thinking there would be much interest, and late round picks are more saving face type of moves to me anyway which is what you would be looking at.

Whatever it takes. Get rid of the players who are not earning their money or who could open up enough room to inject youth and optimism into the next era.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

yeah, ok on that Tunsil trade......

15. Mr. Clutch

Yeah, I agree. Cut the ones that save space. With someone like Mercilus, I guess you hold onto him and cut him next year since it wouldn't change the cap hit anyway

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

I would actually be curious as to what picks we could get for him

cmoak1982 and Astrodome like this.
  17. payaso

payaso Member

18. Fantasma Negro

19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Do we have to? o_Oo_Oo_O

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Whitney is the worst graded OLB in the entire NFL. No hyperbole. Its time to cut strings. Sad for me to see Greenard struggle so much with separation as and edge. He doesnt seem to have the tools needed to play edge at the NFL level to me. Maybe he takes a HUGE step next year, but he didnt really do much for me, neither did Ross Blacklock, but they are young and cheap and easy to digest when they dont play well.

Watching Whitney play gives me heartburn.

raining threes and UTSA2step like this.