1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fantasy Football advice thread [2020-21]

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by primtim24, Sep 3, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow, hindsight... I reckon its impossible to predict that a player with minimal injury history (pulled thigh muscle in 2018 preseason) would get hurt on the very first play of a game (one analyst asked if he got hurt in warmups). So, in hindsight, he should have been sat... not that Lindsay, Taylor, or Dobbins did anything. But Taylor did get the gimmie 1 yrd TD. So apologies for steering you off that.

I mentioned I started Lindsay over Zeke. Neither did anything. In fact, I think once you got past CMC, Cook, AK, James Robison, the really productive RB performances were few and far between. I was all excited about some of my starts... James Conner, Chase Edmunds, Deejay Dallas, Jackson... a lot of meh.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

up 4 points and they have NE defense. wish me luck

edit: hell yea brother

#82 fallenphoenix, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

So Im in a 14-team, so the options are not very good, I have Stafford, but he is injured from his thumb, and last game, only had 178 yards against Carolina, so I start him tomorrow vs Texans or I can pick up Dalton or Alex Smith, there is no much option on the waiver wire
    Thanks in advance!

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

K. Murray @ NE or Hebert @ Bills.

Both west coast teams traveling East but weather doesn’t appear to be an issue.

Starting to feel like Hebert is the better option with Murray’s bum shoulder. NE with the better pass def too.

5. NewRoxFan

I'd feel better with Herbert. ARI also missing Fitzgerald (Andy Isabella might be a good dart throw, especially since NE can give up deep passes). You are lucky to have two great QBs... some of us are struggling with worse choices (like Brandon Allen or Mike Glennon?). Good luck!

ron413 and leroy like this.
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's how I'm leaning. Got Hebert off the waiver wire in like Week 4 or 5. Just wish I had a healthy McCaffery to go with these guys so that these close losses would stop.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  7. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Derek Carr @ ATL
    OR
    Tom Brady vs. KC

#87 ron413, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  8. NewRoxFan

I know how you feel. I have six different redraft teams. Frustrating that I usually go 3-3 each week, and most of my teams are around .500. One team does well, one week, then craters the next. Most of my teams are in decent shape in scoring (two or more positions higher than my W-L)... suggesting when I do win I win big and when I do lose I lose close games.

But my highest stakes team got clobbered. SuperFlex team, lost Burrow last week, so down to one startable QB (Watson, second round pick) and Mullens as an emergency QB. My first round pick Zeke has checked out for the season (perhaps career?). Conner (my third round pick) is out with COVID, Claypool had to be on the bench because uncertainty about Tuesday's game, Jeudy had to sit because his team started a practice squad WR at QB, Lindsay for the same reason, Jordan Reed was invisible, same with Cooper Kupp, and had to start ancient Frank Gore, Nelson Agholor, Nelson Agholor, and Cole Beasley.

That team will fall out of the playoff picture... all I can do is shrug and hope for better luck on other teams.

9. NewRoxFan

Argh... looks like David Johnson will play this Sunday, so Duke Johnson goes back to being virtually worthless.

So my high stakes teams RBs are Zeke (puke), Gore (LOL), Lindsay (hurt), and Duke Johnson (puke). I have James Conners on COVID-19 list with no idea if he even comes back this year. Perfect timing... my team is 7-5, in 7th place (only top 6 get into playoffs) and I play the 8-4, 2nd place team to try to win to get a shot at the playoffs.

I was outbid for Cam Akers $77 to my $1 bid (all I have left in FAAB).. RBs on waivers: Gio Bernard, Malcolm Brown, Ito Smith, Brian Hill, Joshua Kelly, Jeff Edwards. Of that list, is there anyone I should drop Duke Johnson for?

10. NewRoxFan

What a Sunday. Started Herbert in two games including the first round of playoffs. Started Gore in two games, including the high stakes league that I lost Burrows then James Conner and needed a win to get into the playoffs. Started Matt Ryan over Carr because Julio was playing. Started CEH bec6 he was active after being ill and he simply suited up to stand on the sidelines.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

So, what do you think about Brees returning, I dont think he is 100%, my backup QB was Stafford who had an injury to the ribs too, so at the beginning of the week, I picked Jalen Hurts( im in a 14 team, league) so he was the only worth taking right now, so the debat is if Brees is active should I start him or should star Hurts vs Arizona?

12. NewRoxFan

Tough choice. You would think Brees and Payton would be pretty confident to not risk further serious injury, but that was a bad one already and you are risking one big hit that takes him out of the game. You also worry about how well he can actually throw downfield. Which is great news for Kamara owners... he may get 15 catches. But limited DOT makes it easier for the defense to cover the field. Hoping Brees' desire to play one last game in the spotlight against Mahomes doesn't hurt him and the team. Also important... no Michael Thomas, so the Sanders and Cooks and Kamara are the receivers (Smith is a downfield guy, he will just attempt to draw defenders away from the short and middle).

Edit: one more concern... NO will very likely switch to Hill any time they are near the goal. So that cuts down Brees TD pass opportunities. I wouldn't be surprised if Winston doesn't get some time.

Hurts has a decent floor with his running game. And he did look better passing last week. The danger... ARI is a decent defense, and they see a good running quarterback every practice. After two games defenses now have a book on Hurts.

A healthy Brees... easy decision. One with broken ribs and punctured lung. Gee, I am risk averse... I'd go with the guy I am more certain will be in the game the whole game. After seeing the LAC OAK game... getting a single digit score or zero from the QB spot will end your playoffs. So I would go Hurts. And he gets at least 80 yards on the ground... because any TD gets you to double digits. And two TDs gets you over 20 pts.

I'd be way more confident with someone like Rivers Goff, or Tannehill than risking the biscuit with Hurts or Brees. But if none of them are available I'd go Hurts. Good luck!

david_rocket likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

I managed to get into 5 of 6 playoffs, and I am still alive in 4 of 6 including two of the Clutch fans leagues (and one is actually the championship game this week).

One of the team is a 14 team superflex run by Rosterwatch that I somehow stumbled my way into the second round with this team: starters: Watson, Zeke, Conner, Kupp, Beasley, Agholor, Reed, ARI and Mullen as my superflex. I lost Burrow a few weeks ago, and Gesiski this week (he may play with a bad shoulder injury).

Yea... puke inducing. Zeke has been horrible, and is questionable but should play. Conner has been horrible, is questionable and may play but its a huge risk since its MNF. And my backup RBs are all sketchy as you might expect in a 14 team league): DeAndre Washington, Salvon Ahmed, Lynn Bowden, LeSean McCoy (grabbed him when Jones news, Fournette was already rostered).

So... who would you replace Conner with? If Ahmed is healthy he replaces Washington as the starter in MIA. Bowden is really a WR but has RB and WR designation and since its full PPR could be a good score if he gets WR receptions along with the possible run or two.

Or... gamble on Conner (someone dropped Snell, he would be available to add on Monday just in case Conner can't play). If someone adds Snell before me as a block, I'd have to add Samuel or McFarland on Monday just to avoid taking a zero. But at that point my season would be over. edit: I could drop McCoy and add Gio Bernard as a backup if Conner doesn't play.

So... anyone that is still reading... who to start? One of the Dolphin RBs against the Patriots? Or gamble that someone Conner plays (with Snell as a backup plan) against the Bengals?

#93 NewRoxFan, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I also have Zeke and has been awful, in your case I would start Bowden, he has a lot of hype with the NFL Fantasy analysts, I think being a RB, but also a WR can have a nice boost to the lineup, and the Patriots defense has allowed lots of points against RBs, so I would go with Bowden.

Should I put Jeff Wilson against dallas or Zeke?

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Every team has two QBS on their roster, so I dont have much of a choice, I had thinking about ALex Smith vs Seattle but he is out now, also thinking during the week about Drew Lock but I went for Hurts, and Im starting him, especially since Thomas is out, and Brees didnt have great games without him

16. NewRoxFan

I agree that Hurts is your best choice (Lock showed why he was still available). Good luck!

17. NewRoxFan

The news this AM is that Zeke is still starting but he isn't 100%.

I am still starting Zeke because my choices are less certain then Wilson... seems Ahmed is seen as my best backup in terms of talent and limited history (averaged 3.6 ypg, 4.0, 5.4 in his three games, 2 weeks ago had 21/85/1; Bowden's resume is last week... 7/82 yrds ) I am still deciding between Ahmed and Bowden. My opponent had bad luck with Mike Davis last night and Beasley had over 100 yards bringing me back to a closer game... so now I am less in need of huge upside and need to make sure I don't whiff at the RB2 spot.

In your case... its a lot tougher decision since I think Wilson has a lot better chance to score than any of my Zeke alternatives. SF has given up 3 top 24 RB games over the past 4 weeks (same number as NE, same number as DAL for that matter) so their run defense hasn't dominated. I think I would sit Zeke for Wilson... but that is a really tough choice that to be honest only you can make.

18. ktex

ktex Member

Coutee or Cooks today??

19. NewRoxFan

Since I blundered and sat Cooks for Agholor... I have a hunch Cooks goes off big today. Coutee had a huge game last game against IND but I think that was a game Cooks (and DJ) was out. I'd go Cooks. Good luck.

rhino17 and ktex like this.
  20. NewRoxFan

ZEKE OUT. Start Wilson! Good luck.

david_rocket and rhino17 like this.