1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just on CNBC: Tilman might be forced to sell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TilmanFinancialWindfall, Apr 2, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, they're not *my* benchmark - they're *the* "benchmark" if by benchmark you mean reality.

Rarely do you have teams admit they overpaid for an offseason signing within weeks, rather than months or years but in Arizas case it happened twice in 2 offseasons, which is why he has had 5 enployers in the last 2 years.

But yeah maybe he had something left in the tank worth a way abovemarket deal. There's 25 other NBA he hasn't played for recently who might prove you right.

2. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Hopefully he didn't open up his fat mouth and said something stupid like he normally does, such as:

"I'm doing them a favor by buying them lunch today and they need to shut up and listen and realize I did them a big fat favor by firing their lazy azz cuz now they make more money from unemployment benefit payment and the extra $600 a week from the FEDS than the $10 a hour I was paying their slob ass."

Mark Berman
    @MarkBermanFox26
    · 1h
    Owner @TilmanJFertitta and @HoustonRockets brought lunch today to the employees at the Houston Emergency Center.

3. TilmanFinancialWindfall

I'm trying to think of another player that keeps getting over paid, but I can't think of anyone other than Ariza.

Lakers, Rockets, Wiz, Rockets again

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

and yet continuing to get those deals and someone who the rockets have sorely missed and never was replaced up until a few months ago as my post said

5. SamFisher

They sorely missed him but as his last 4 employers have found out, he's not that player anymore either.

Life happens. Players age out of usefulness. I can't think of a better example than Ariza.

DoitDickau likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

His last “employers” are the likes of losing teams. Ariza is the player you add to a winning core. Not a losing one. Ariza looked pretty useful when he played the rockets not too long ago, in a win

Der Rabbi likes this.
  7. SamFisher

Yet only losing teams were willing to shell out big money for him.

Hypothesis: because it is a bad investment? Like I said we have only run this over 1/6 of the NBA in the last 18 months or so. Maybe cwe need more data to come in!

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

After making pennies with the rockets for years, good for him to chase that money. Smart actually

9. TilmanFinancialWindfall

I wonder what the Rockets is really worth today if Tilman had to sell? He stated as recently as March, someone offered him $1 billion for 50% interest, which sounds Shady because if you anyone purchase a minority or limited voting/controlling power in an entity, you expect a discount, and that's how the rich cats discount their net worth on their tax returns. Rockets still worth more than $2 billion as of March?

The Knicks were worth $4.6 billion at end of Feb, but now you can buy the Knicks for $3 billion....except Dolan would still have controlling power

10. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

all tillman needs to do is to find one sucker out there

still lots of billionaires who want a team

11. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

JJ Redick has been cleaning UP on one and two year deals.

Der Rabbi likes this.
  12. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Forgot about JJ. Making BANK for just one skill set!

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

he was really only crazy overpaid the one year with $23 million in Philly.

he’s not been cheap since but his one skill is still very valuable and he’s not a complete liability elsewhere. He’s never missed the playoffs in his career and has mostly been a starter.

our boy chandler parsons takes the cake. He’s collected $126 million over his career... a good $20+ million more than JJ. He’s made $14 plus each of the last six years and $22+ each of the last 4. In those 4 years he’s played 100 games... total. Almost $100 million for 100 games. It’s worse on a minute basis cause he never averaged over 20 mpg in that timeframe. If you total his minutes over the last 4 years and assume he played just 30 mpg, it’s be only 64 games. At $22+ you’d want more like 36 mpg ... he played the equivalent of 53 games at 36 mpg over the last 4 years. JJ by comparison almost matched that minute total in this shortened season and way surpassed it each of the last 5 seasons.

I wonder if you ignore production - parsons wasn’t that good in the minutes he did play anyway - where parsons salary per minute played over the last 4 years would rank? I think it’s something like $50k a minute. Which would be the equivalent of having paid Harden $143 million last year alone.

#513 JayZ750, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hahaha yeah he is an underrated slasher.

15. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I wish the man no ill will personally but I love our Rockets and the tax line is more important to him than a championship. I hope he sells the team and fully recovers financially from the sell.

16. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Damn I wish I read this before my last reply

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A note on unemployment vs the PPP. Granted, Fertita may have not known about the details of the PPP when he told everyone to get unemployment, BUT, the PPP is a joke and unemployment pays MORE than if your company would have gotten the PPP.

18. mockster

mockster Member

That’s a complete lie and I know this cuz he was open to making a trade that didn’t go through.

he’s logical, he wants to save on the tax if he can but if an opportunity comes up to pull a big name he will

if he was that cheap we wouldn’t of got Westbrook

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? what does that even mean? wb put the team salary wise in exact same position only an extra year longer for an excuse for the people that don't know any better to duck the tax. he's so cheap he had to ask wb for installment payments where he gets less now and eventually get the difference much later down the road. if cp3 were still here the repeater angle would no longer be an issue bc he has 1 less year on his deal.

you seriously are way behind on things concerning tilman. most of the stuff you have posted here is ridiculous and coming from a place that is nothing more than random thoughts that are inaccurate

20. mockster

mockster Member

lol you have no legitimate info to back any of your claims. he would go over the tax of it meant making the team better.

and we could’ve traded CP3 for somebody else and got a bunch of scrub contracts.

tillman has always been open to going over the tax if it made sense and there is no evidence to suggest he wouldn’t

plus our current team is set up very well For what was available and what we had so it’s even more odd people make these claims with no facts

that’s funny because I’ve posted accurate info before news outlet even reported on it and have the post to prove it?, df.

you on the other hand know nothing and base everything on speculation

sorry I won’t hate on someone because it’s the trend with no facts.

#520 mockster, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020