1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's hope Raiders return to LA

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Jan 11, 2016.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/01/11/raiders-may-move-to-san-antonio-if-la-move-fails/

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think San Antonio getting a team would be cool, why would we not want that to happen?

3. donkeypunch

Revenue
    [​IMG]

4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Could mean then the Texans would have to put a better product on the field due to competition. I doubt this happens. Raiders need a new stadium tho...shouldn't have to share with the baseball team

1 person likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Cowboys would have far more issues with this than Houston... and with the amount of influence that Jones/McNair carry with the other owners, I don't think it would happen (not to mention that SA still has a lot of significant hurdles in PSL, tax/stadium approval and corporate sponsorship... before it can show that it can not only support a NFL team short-term, but long-term).

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That has to do with the success of the Spurs, not playing in San Antonio. You have to expect front runners in cities without teams to gravitate towards the teams with the most recent success.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The most annoying thing would be that San Antonio would be gifted the core of a solid team. It wouldn't surprise me if they became the best team in texas.

I don't want to deal with more San Antonio hubris.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Team revenue is not important in the NFL due to revenue sharing, the draft, and the QB-centric game. Some of the most historic and successful franchises in it's history are Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Indy, NOLA, St. Louis, KC, and Buffalo. Basically you need a QB more than you need revenue.

Texans wouldn't lose any support with this move. San Antonio and South TX are Cowboy country. Trust me I know, I grew up in the Valley. It's the Cowboys who would lose support if the San Antonio Raiders moved in and were good at the outset. But if they sucked, then even Cowboys would hardly be affected.

9. donkeypunch

Not in my opinion. This is Texas and this is football country. Houston has far from put out a successful team and yet we all here gravitate towards them. Year in and year out since 2002 Reliant/NRG sells out, no matter the product on the field and that will never change.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, in Houston that is the case, but I'm talking about away from the city. People in San Antonio would support a team there, but not everyone in the portion of the map that supports the Spurs would. When you get away from your city a bit loyalty tends to go to whatever is the nearest successful team.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That entire Spurs region is big-time Cowboys country (as is most regions in Texas other than the immediate Houston area).

That would play heavily on the success (or failure) of a team there.

When you re-read the blurb, it reeks of them using San Antonio as leverage against Oakland... the Raiders would basically double-triple in value if they moved to LA, but Oakland with a new stadium vs. San Antonio... not really a huge difference.

San Antonio is also going to be leery of voting/approving ANYTHING... till they have an iron-clad commitment from somebody. They do not want another Alamodome debacle.

12. donkeypunch

I definitely think that the cowboys would lose a lot of "fans" but I also think its about brand recognition.

Texans are supposedly playing a game in Mexico City in the near future and if a San Antonio team were already here, you think Houston would be featured in that international game over San Antonio? I dont.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironic, since they're supposedly playing the Raiders next year in Mexico City...

14. donkeypunch

LOL. Illuminati???

15. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Would be cool to have raiders and spurs. Lol same colors how ironic.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this, repped

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

2 good players does not a solid team make. If anyone knows that, it should be us Texan fans.... :)

But yeah, this wouldn't affect us at all. San Antonio is 100% cowboy country. I see nothing but cowboy gear everywhere I go there. No Texans presence at all.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

There are no Texans fans in S.A.

19. conquistador#11

I never understood the whole moving to La back to oakland back to La, back to oakland and now back to La. Is it like wife swapping? both cities ok with it?

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Thinking that Jerry and Bob would be ok with a 3rd NFL team revenue sharing the Texas market...lol...good luck with that.