1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zo, Marshall off to Miami?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JoeBarelyCares, Dec 18, 2004.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

From the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...388&call_pageid=969907729483&col=970081562040

For Carter, who remains one of the most popular players with basketball fans around the world, Babcock got Aaron Williams and Eric Williams, two solid citizens with journeyman skills; two first-round draft picks (belonging to Philadelphia and Denver and obtained by the Nets in other transactions) and Alonzo Mourning, who Babcock never expects to play in Toronto.

"We did this trade understanding that his medical condition may mean he never plays for us," Babcock said of Mourning, who will likely try to engineer a buyout of his contract. "We would do this trade regardless of whether he was in it or not. He was in it to try and balance the trade out and he's a great player, and it's our feeling that if he doesn't play for us it still is a great trade. If he does play for us, then it's a huge bonus."

The general manager also lauded the toughness of the Williamses.

"(They are) the type of people, character-wise, that we want in our program, tough guys, professional basketball players, professional attitude — on the court, off the court — team-oriented players, veterans who have been around and really know the ropes."

Still, trading Carter is dealing away something special.

"He's the face of Canada pretty much, Canadian basketball," said Chris Bosh. "He's been the first icon of the Raptors. He's been a great player, he still is a great player and I think he will continue to do good, just somewhere else now."

In an ironic twist, the Raptors and Nets face each other at the Air Canada Centre tomorrow afternoon but none of the traded players are expected to be in uniform. Carter is currently on the injured list with a strained left Achilles tendon. The teams meet again in New Jersey on Feb.22, right after the all-star break.

But the trade may only be a precursor of more moves.

According to league sources, the Raptors and Miami Heat remain in discussions on a trade that would involve Toronto's Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall and a package of Miami players including Eddie Jones and Malik Allen.

"Obviously the No.1 domino was Vince Carter and now that domino has fallen, it remains to be seen what comes after that," Rose said cryptically before Toronto faced the Indiana Pacers last night.

2. JoeBarelyCares

And from the Newark Star-Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1103350277235940.xml

Heat's on for Mourning
    Traded Nets center appears to be headed for Miami
    Saturday, December 18, 2004
    BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
    Star-Ledger Staff

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- As it turns out, Alonzo Mourning may be getting exactly what he wants -- a chance to play for a ring, in a comfortable environment.

Though it wasn't confirmed by any of the principals, an Eastern Conference general manager said last night that the former Nets center -- traded to Toronto in the Vince Carter deal yesterday -- is going to be redirected to the Miami Heat, the team he put on the map through the first 12 years of his career.

It was unclear if Mourning would receive a buyout from Toronto and then join Miami as a free agent, or if he would be moved in a follow-up trade for a Heat player who earns something in the neighborhood of Mourning's $5.4 million salary.

The first trade, both the Nets and Raptors said, was even made on the condition that Mourning's physical would be waived.

"We did this trade understanding that his medical condition may mean he never plays for us," Toronto GM Rob Babcock said. "We would do this trade regardless of whether he was in it or not. He was in it to try and balance the trade out and he's a great player, and it's our feeling that if he doesn't play for us it still is a great trade. If he does play for us, then it's a huge bonus."

But nobody expects that to happen. Not even the guy who traded Mourning.

"That was one of the things talked about during the negotiations," Rod Thorn said of waiving the physical requirement. "There's a chance he might not want to go there. But this trade is not contingent on whether he wants to go there."

Mourning, who had sought a buyout from the Nets during the preseason so that he could pursue another job with a contender, probably will negotiate his release from Toronto shortly. Otherwise, Lawrence Frank's remarks about their conversation are nonsensical.

"Alonzo was very appreciative," the coach said, more than once, without elaboration -- probably because Mourning had a deal in place to join forces with Shaquille O'Neal.

And while Frank appreciated the center's extraordinary commitment to the game, management was happy to be rid of him. One front office member was blunt: "He's Toronto's headache now," he said.

And Thorn, who gave Mourning a $22.6 million contract prior to the 2003-04 season -- only to have him play just 30 games in two seasons -- sounded relieved.

"With Alonzo, it just didn't work out," the team president said. "He wanted to be elsewhere. He had some good moments for us this year ... but he just wasn't happy here, and he obviously wanted to be someplace else. And now he gets that opportunity. I want to wish him well."

The Nets were actually more upset, however, with the loss of Eric Williams, who became indispensable as their starting forward this season. And Williams, who had signed a three-year deal to play in his native state, was crushed when informed of the deal in mid-afternoon, because he'll be separated from his 9-year-old son.

"I'm the one guy who loves New Jersey -- I had waited my whole career for this," said Williams, who watched the Nets' game against the Grizzlies as a spectator last night because he didn't want to sit around the team's hotel.

"It was the same time last year, going from Boston to Cleveland. And now I'm leaving the country. I really thought I had stability, you know? At least for three years, anyway. But that's the business, I guess. I'm not bigger than the game."

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

WOW! The Heat go from Eastern Conference Championship contenders to NBA Championship contenders if they pull all those moves off.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So the Heat would be looking to add Zo, Marshall and Rose for Eddie Jones and Malik Allen? Nice moves. Hey, they are looking to "win now" so why not!?!?

Funny, the Heat are built similarly to the Rockets. They have a center in Shaq like we have in Yao. They have a top SG in Wade like we have in McGrady. Basically BOTH teams run similar offenses.

But what is sad is the PERSONNEL moves the Heat are making are the ones the ROCKETS "should" be making.

The Heat got Damon Jones. We got Ward. The Heat are looking to get Marshall at PF much like we probably hoped to get. They are trying to get Rose as a 3rd scoring option, something the Rockets might be intereted in.

Getting Zo would also be huge. Doleac has played good minutes for the Heat as a backup C but getting Zo in there would add extra insurance and give them someone that can also play PF.

5. JumpMan

A good GM makes a HUGE difference, West leaves the Lakers and Kupcheck doesn't make a single good move without Shaq's help, Shaq goes to Miami and Pat Riley bests Mitch in two months!

The Rocket's GM job should be SSSOOO EASY, all he has to do is get a good PF or two and his job is done, but for some reason I'm afraid CD is incapable.

6. foodworld

foodworld Member

Well... the Rockets have no players with trade value, except for maybe Jim Jackson, outside of T-Mac and Yao. How could they get quality in return for negative trade value like Ward and Taylor?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They shouldn't have signed Ward to begin with, which was my point. They should have signed Damon Jones.

I agree on Taylor. But the Heat are perhaps moving their terrible contract in Eddie Jones for Jalen Rose's terrible deal to get a better personnel fit.

We could perhaps do something similar if we wanted to.

8. JumpMan

Have you seen Eddie Jones' numbers lately? They're so bad that he's thinking about retirement and somehow they might get Jalen Rose for him. Malik Allen for Donnyell Marshall? You could offer those trades on NBA Live and the Raptors would laugh at you.

I think Nachbar and Lue have trade value, if they could get a good PF for Jackson I say you let him go, then there are draft picks and cash considerations. There has to be a trade in the works, the need is way too obvious for there not to be one.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We dont have a lot, but we DO have SOME assets

• Jim Jackson
    • Nachbar
    • Expiring contracts of Mutombo and Lue
    • 5.2M Trade Exception
    • And perhaps Taylor or Howard (depending on the team)

Anything we can do to improve our ASSETS I am all for.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Just like Miami.

We have a Chinese center, they have a Chinese center.

This is waaaaaaaaay to crazy.

11. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I hope this is true!!! Now my boy Zo can finish his career where he thrived and hopefully win a title! I can wear my ZO heat jersey now

12. sun12

sun12 Member

It is a long time since Pat Riley is associated with a good GM.
    Riley sucks as a GM. Shaq is 32 years old with a huge salary. The owner of the Heats is willing to spend the money. So Riley spends.

13. JoeBarelyCares

And they have a Van Gundy, and we have a Van Gundy. Wierd.

14. JoeBarelyCares

Matt Jackson said on 610 the other night that Van Gundy calls the shots on the personnel moves, with help from Dennis Lindsey. And that CD got a two-year extension at the bequest of Van Gundy. Does anyone think CD is close to a figurehead, or performs mainly administrative tasks?

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

dike, ewing, and zo are all very tight maybe zo would like it better in houston?

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I really wish we could get Marshall!

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I will never understand why the Heat would want Jalen Rose. If you have Flash and Damon Jones on your team, you don't need another player playing the point. As for scoring, Jones does as much as Rose could. The only thing I see that might be good for the Heat is getting Marshall and/or Mourning to solidify the frontcourt.

Maybe Rose's contract ends before Eddie's does, but other than that, they don't need another ball handler.

18. purplefever

purplefever Contributing Member

Toronto would be getting more then just Eddie Jones and Malik Allen - whose combined salaries add up to only Jalen Rose. There is talk that both Wesley Person and recent 1st round pick Dorell Wright are also headed Toronto's way.

In essence the deal becomes Carter, Rose and Marshall for Eddie Jones, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams, Wesley Person, Malik Allen, Dorell Wright and 2 first round picks.

If I was a Houston fan, I might take a look at Aaron Williams bio and maybe imagine him in a Rox uniform. He's a seasoned PF who has been to the finals twice, and is the antithesis of Juwan Howard and Maurice Taylor. The guy is tough as nails and would complement Yao very nicely.
    _____

How would ou guys feel about a deal that consisted of Aaron Williams and Wesley Person for Jim Jackson (and about $2.3 mil of your trade exception)?

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Don't the Raptors have to wait at least 60 days to trade Zo and either of the Williams boys?

20. mfclark

mfclark Member

Yes, sicne the Raptors are over the cap, but with the caveat that it is true only if they are traded with other players. Any of them can be dealt by themselves at any time. An example of this occured several years back during Orlando's rebuilding (the year before they got McGrady and Hill).

Thus, Mourning cannot be packed with Jalen Rose in a deal, so those rumors aren't going anywhere. But, he could be dealt by himself. More likely than not, Zo gets bought out and this entire point is moot. It's also unlikely either of the Williamses are traded -- but if they are, the same applies -- only if they are traded by themselves can they be dealt within the next 2 months.