1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Zo cleared to return next year...should rocks go after

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCity2003, May 1, 2003.

1. ClutchCity2003

him ( I don't know if we could get him but...)? I've always felt Alonzo Mourning would be a good fit for the Rockets except that he was hurt. Does anyone think he has anything left? He sure could tremendously upgrade our interior defense. We could use him and Yao Ming the same way the SPurs use Robinson and Duncan. Just a thought. Any opinions?

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Could he play foward for us? That's our position of need. We have a pretty good center combo. More importantly, could he play on the floor at the same time as Yao? Who would be on the low block, and who would be on the high post?

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think zo can play PF. he is 6'10 about 260. if we could get him for the MCE i would be really happy. this guy was one of the best defenders of our time.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

How much you want to bet that the Spurs pick up Mourning? He's be a good replacement for Robinson, and he doesn't have anything wrong with him as far as "normal" sports injuries go...Plus, he's well rested after taking a year off...

5. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Zo would be a great fit for Houston. A great player, especially defense. He's just what we need. A great defender in the low post, a team player and a vet. He would be great if he get's used to playing PF.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Zo in Houston sounds great, but Zo leaving Miami would be a crime. They deserve his staying if he's playing.

7. JoeBarelyCares

But maybe Miami would want his capspace to sign Kandi, who just bought a home there.

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

well, if miami would let alonzo leave, of course the rockets should go after him. what are we looking for at power forward?

good rebounder
    tough defender
    competent offensively
    veteran leadership

what about these things is not alonzo morning?

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Zo did indicate he wanted to test the free agent market and espn indicated that pat riley stated if Zo does return to Miami it would be at a reduced salary. How much would we be able to offer him?

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Let us have a different approach,and ask questions before we come to any conclusion!
    a)How old is Zo?
    b)Is he under Contract? How many years left on it?
    c)How much will it cost the Rockets?
    d)How many years of high level playing does he have left?
    e)Is he considered damaged goods?
    f)How much would we have to give up to get him?
    g) Would he fit in with our developing players or would he interfere?

The last thing we need is another Rice Saga all over again! So be very cautious when considering
    older players. If he is OK on all accounts then I would be in favour of such a move. He would be a powerful force for good on the Team. He would bring a new attitude to the team, he would demand defence and more active offence from Yao Ming and he would demand that the Guards pass the ball thus feeding the big men. It could turn our Team arround and make for more excitement!

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

While I agree that Zo isn't that good of idea, I think ppl are way overblowing the Glen Rice deal. The rox are a class oranization that keeps its promise, so when Shandon Anderson's contract (very cheap one) was up, we needed to fulfill our end of the bargain, the only thing we could do at that time was to trade him or lock him up. So instead of paying for his new $68 million contract, we traded him for Rice who's coming off the books next year. Just clarifying.

12. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Let us have a different approach,and ask questions before we come to any conclusion!
    a)How old is Zo?
    --> He's 33

b)Is he under Contract? How many years left on it?
    --> Nope, he's a free agent this summer.

c)How much will it cost the Rockets?
    --> Pretty sure it's going to be more than the MCE. I'm sure Miami is more than willing to offer him that.

d)How many years of high level playing does he have left?
    --> Very good question. I think he'll be an effective player for the right team. He's no longer a 20-10 nor 38-33 min a game guy.

e)Is he considered damaged goods?
    --> I think so. His kidney issues unfortunately will not go away anytime soon. Anytime he catches a cold, that could potentially
    be his season.

f)How much would we have to give up to get him?
    --> He's a free agent so I don't think Houston will have to give up anything for him.

g) Would he fit in with our developing players or would he interfere?
    --> Don't know. I think he just wants to win. If things go bad, I'm sure he'll "interfere".

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. Toast

Toast Member

There are question marks, but for the right price, I'd love to have him on the team. I think he'd be a great fit.

Doesn't he insist on playing the "Center" position, though (whatever the heck that means, anyway)? I thought I remember that from way back in the day. That's fine with me. What exactly does the Center do? Jumps the tipoff? He'd be an improvement over Yao in that aspect. Guards the opposing center? Sure, I'll let him have that responsibility. Play in the low post? It's been so long since I've seen him play, I forget if Mourning prefers the left elbow, right elbow, any/all areas in the lane, etc.

15. JoeBarelyCares

Excellent post. For all those that bash our front office for overpaying on contracts, remember that the Rockets are a class organization. They rewarded underpaid players for past service in Charles (who took $1 million to bring in Pippen, then got $9 million the next year), MoT, and Maloney. And Hakeem, to a degree, with his last 5 year, $55 million deal. They even offered Hakeem a new contract the summer he left, which although would have been less than Toronto's offer, would have ended up being $13 million for one year's worth of ineffective service.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Lets get back to the topic of this post! Please!

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You guys are pissing Yetti off.:eek:

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

yea maybe we can dump Mo T. somewhere and have Griffin learn from Mourning...

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

20. CrazyJoeDavola

Sign and trade with Miami:

Mobley
    Griffin
    Rice

for

Zo
    Eddie Jones