1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zijie Shen, 16 year old 7 footer, another big kid out of china

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by yaodynasty, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

I would get mad that you posted that massive picture (USE SPOILERS), but it is a darn good picture :cool:

2. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

The footage is pretty impressive. Hope he continues to improve. It'd be cool to for China and the NBA to have a skilled big man, and it'd definitely be a boost to their national team. I watched their national team play a few weeks ago and I was not impressed. Teams like Taipei and Angola gave them problems.

3. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

I have no idea why Zhou Qi is so highly regarded. He may be 7'2", quick, skillful and all. But dude is so skinny that I'd be surprised if he can lasts for more than 1 season in the NBA. Or perhaps they project him to become a KD clone not going to bang inside the paint?

On the other hand, I'd definitely spend a lottery pick on Zijie Shen.

4. VanityHalfBlack

So does Shen go to high school here in Pearland? Or this is just the Summer work-out. I looked him up, no info????

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's not hard to gain mass imo with the right trainer and nutritionist in America

But will he lose his quickness and agility if he mindlessly gain muscle mass

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Zhou Qi is proven in almost every FIBA competition in different age groups growing up. Yes, they don't just watch videos but actually play him against top prospects around the world.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/zhou-qi
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Zhou-Qi-61857/

He's been on the radar of US scouts since years ago, and is rated very high. He played in last year's FIBA 19 world chamionship games, and is one of the top players on both ends of the floor. And he's 2 years younger than most players there.

It's been a few years since most Chinese fans/media consider him as the next big star. He's pretty thin like most Asian teenagers due to their diet/training system, but he's got good frame(wide shoulder and excellant body measuements) to potentially add significant weight. He may not need to add too much to be like Durant/KG type of players.

I'm not saying he's going to be NBA superstar, but the ceiling is very high and flooring is not low.

7. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

sorry man, i thought the website would auto resize the photo. I tried to delete the pic, but could not edit my post. Wonder why the the post edit function was gone.

8. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

Looks like he splits his time between US and China. He is not a member of national team of China, so should more flexibility to enter NCAA. Hope the Kansas invitation works out in the end.

9. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

Zhou Qi is sensatioal, scoring 41 pts, 28 rebs,15 blks in a FBA U-16 tourney game gainst Germany in 2011. The German team is no scrub, and I don't recall anyone coming with similar number in FIBA games.

Zhou Qi could have KD's potential with less 3 point threat, while Shen could develop into Paul Gasol like.

QUOTE=LinHype;9179009]I have no idea why Zhou Qi is so highly regarded. He may be 7'2", quick, skillful and all. But dude is so skinny that I'd be surprised if he can lasts for more than 1 season in the NBA. Or perhaps they project him to become a KD clone not going to bang inside the paint?

On the other hand, I'd definitely spend a lottery pick on Zijie Shen.[/QUOTE]

10. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

Zhou Qi is sensatioal, scoring 41 pts, 28 rebs,15 blks in a FBA U-16 tourney game gainst Germany in 2011. The German team is no scrub, and I don't recall anyone coming with similar number in FIBA games.

Zhou Qi could have KD's potential with less 3 point threat, while Shen could develop into Paul Gasol like.

11. mig0s

mig0s Member

Does the German team has any 7 footer to defend him?

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R34-SHoJpxo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Are any of these guys gona be in the NBA draft soon? I'm not Asian but would love to see another marquee Chinese player in the league

14. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

He was training with the Skill Factory in Atlanta when he came to the U.S.

He's also affiliated with the CBA junior team, Dongguan New Century Leopards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Li Muhao was eligible but he went undrafted.

The problem with some of these players is that their affiliated with their Chinese teams, so even if drafted, they might not be released right away due to contracts.

16. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I expect to see Wang Zhelin entering the draft in one year or two. He's pretty solid, and have a chance to be really good NBA player. In my very rough calculation, his translated stats should be comparable to top US college players.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yeah this has been established!

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Adams isn't bad so why bash him like he's a scrub. Steven Adams problem is he's playing in the wrong era where physically imposing centers are suppressed. I doubt this kid will be able to bang at the NBA level.

19. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

no, i didn't say Adam is a scrub. I said Adam can start for Thunders. If you compare Adams's video at 16, you will know what I meant. Give the kid 6 years of development with after good NCAA experience, and check what he can achieve at 23. I think he can have high potential.

20. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

I wonder what you have based this opinion on. The only possible reason I can think of is that he is Asian so you assume that all Asians cannot bang at the NBA level. Or perhaps you have a less prejudiced explanation? It'd great if you can share the reasoning behind your observation.