1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ziggy to Dallas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xiki, Apr 25, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Cleveland Plain Dealer suggests Ziggy could head to Dallas in a deal including NVE.

Frightening to think of Dallas with a legit 5. (Bet they'd miss Nick the Quick, tho.)

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

why on earth would cleveland do that?

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Makes no sense for Cleveland at all. Unless they want to go down in history as the club with most number 1 lottery picks in a row.

I mean, I guess everyone has to have goals. I know they need a point guard, but Ilgauskas is the best player they have, other than Ricky Davis, who needs some maturing.

4. verse

well, i'd bet that ricky will not be there next year. he's had way too many problems with his teammates this past year. which brings me back to my question: why would cleveland trady ziggy?

davis had a breakout season, so his value is pretty decent (despite the teammate conflicts). trade ricky for either a high first round draft pick, or for a decent sf. then move dejuan wagner to the 2 guard (his natural position). draft carmelo anthony (if possible) and you have a decent foundation:

pg: draft pick (heinrich or ridnour or hollis price)
    sg: wagner
    sf: anthony
    pf: boozer
    c: ziggy

of course, moves like that (trading ziggy) are part of the reason the cavs are, well, the cavs.

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I suppose Ricky could very well be dealt...he is a hothead. But wow, how do you trade a guy that dunked on Steve Nash the way he did??? ;)

Mind you, I think Ziggy is the real deal, if (a HUGE if) he can continue to play healthy. Perhaps they are envisioning he is an injury waiting to happen, and those glass feet of his can be heard cracking in their GM's sleep....trade him for something of value, which almost has to be a big man, as I don't think Boozer is ready for starters' minutes and the role that comes with them.

Hmmmmmm, Van Exel at PG woulfd be nice, since NVE could easily still average 21 and 8 assists per.

Who do you go after for Davis? What else do you get from Dallas for Ziggy?

6. verse

first of all, there's no way i'd want nve in cleveland. why on earth have nve and dejuan wagner in the backcourt together? waaaaay waaaaay too small a backcourt - plus they are both shoot first players.

if, and i say IF i had to deal ziggy to dallas (which i would never do), i'd have to ask for finley. of course, cleveland would have to sweeten their end of the deal, probably throwing in a first rounder somewhere in the future.

7. verse

and if i was moving davis, i would look for either a high first round pick for him (preferably for next years draft, where i'd grab tj ford), or possibly for a zach randolph.

portland's loaded and zach is probably available. portland could then move bonzi to the 3, and ricky to the 2 guard.

8. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

I could see that happening. Portland definitely wants to put the All-Conflict team on the court.

9. verse

damn if they're not trying!

portland trailblazers = 70s oakland raiders

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I don't know, remember this is Cleveland, and also remember that Dallas plays a lot of Nash, Van Exel at the 2, and Finley at the 3. It seems to work nicely. But I think as a general rule, you're right, Wagner would be a very small 2.

Dallas would almost have to unload a center at that pointno? With Bradley, LaFrentz, and also Dirk logging center minutes, you bring in Ziggy, and you have a huge logjam.

At the end of the day, Cleveland should hold onto Ziggy, or package him with Davis or Wagner and pick to get a Finley/ Lafrentz combo or something that makes sense.

But I can't see Dallas taking on Davis, and losing a team player like Finley.

11. Just B

Just B Member

I really don't know what's going on up here (not that anyone does for that matter!). Just last week the Cavs GM said that the 3 players he can't see being traded are Big Z, Carlos Boozer and Dajuan Wagner. But now they're trying to trade Z! The Cavs really need to just stop, take a deep breath, and THINK before we end up even worse than before!!

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I wonder if Cavs have no confidence in Ziggy's foot?

NVE can ball, but he is so combustible that in a Cleveland setting he could implode and explode that team.

Nick balances and protects Nash and the style of play is more befitting two small guards on the court together than a normal (sic) line-up with a good Big.