1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Zierlein] Dwight Howard doesn't want you Houston, so let's move on

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Jul 7, 2012.

1. conquistador#11

This is fact, we all know it. But does D howard and his "camp"? that's the most important thing. And I think they're all knuckleheads..they don't see it.

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

They have his buddy J-Smoove who is more of a star than anyone on the Rockets roster.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'll believe in Josh Smith and the Atlanta Hawks turning the NBA upside down when I see it.

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I hear you. I'm hardly sold on Josh Smith being a front-line star player, but I think it's highly possible that Dwight Howard is. You've also got to worry about Dallas; I'm sure Dwight would prefer paring up with Dirk in Dallas over Chandler Parsons in Houston.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Perhaps, but the comments from Deron on Friday (about the Nets being better for a "longer time") were pretty telling in terms of what the perception of the Mavs is. That is, there's nothing outside Dirk and the window is very short.

The other issue - I really believe if Dwight is acquired this summer, there's a good chance Morey could find a "second banana" of Josh Smith caliber by next deadline. At the latest, by draft day. There are a few true difference makers that the Rockets wouldn't be able to match, but I don't think Josh Smith is it.

6. Sanity2disChaos

Trade for d.Howard and if he wants to walk trade him for bynum + picks...... alot of y'all are emotional based haters!! Lol...

Or any other top player+picks and a vet or two...

It Really is a win win...our rookies have proved nothing so what would u miss? Can't miss what u never had...

Swing for the fences at worse we end up with another star player when he is gone so how bad is that Really?

7. BreakYoSelfFool

I guarantee if we trade for Dwight the package will include either Scola or Martin, or whatever we trade them for. Didn't say that would be the full package. I would say prob Martin a couple of the young guys and 1 or 2 picks. If you haven't been reading, Orlando is looking for a mix of expiring contracts, young players and draft picks.

8. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Howard makes me think back to Scottie Pippen, Of course Pippen wanted to come here but was in a damn big hurry to get away. Left bitter feelings with fans and team.

Do not want to go through that crap again.

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

These are good points. I'm interested to know from people more knowledgable about other teams cap space situation and the new CBA what other teams could swing for the fences by clearing cap for DH and/or CP3?

So here's the question: If you're the GM of any other team in the NBA, if you really wanted to, what could you possibly do to clear your cap space to make a stronger case than Houston to sign DH and CP3 (or any other max player you have currently on your roster or one that you could trade for)? This would help me and a lot of others to see the odds of DH walking to sign somewhere else if we trade for him. Once you have that list of teams that could do it, then you can start talking about if any of those teams are more attractive to DH and/or any other max free agent than Houston.

10. NickKent

NickKent Member

Agreed. Doing all this to rent a player that doesn't want to be here is dumb.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

On one hand...I dont want his primadonna lying two faced butt!

On the other, "always trade for a superstar..."

... all comes down to what it costs and what we gotta take (in terms of crappy contracts...)

12. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

Our Houston Rockets

To Dwight or not to Dwight?

DO NOT

if we can keep this young team together with Royce, Donuts, Lamb and a few of the other youngsters, i believe we will be in for a looooong season. Which is a great thing. Look at the Astros. Our worst season ever, that also changed the foundation of our franchise.

The Rockets need to take the same route. With our first rounder next year and the Raptors first, we could be in business if we keep our core of youngsters together and really add a difference maker via draft next year(hopefully getting the #1 pick, if we are bad enough-which im all for) But worst case scenario would be two picks in the top 6.

It would be awesome to get Dwight, but look at it this way. The Rockets would send all of our guys that have great potential(royce,donuts,lamb) and not only that, but the rockets would be left with scraps on the roster. Add that in with the fact that we would make the playoffs. So not only do u move that Raptor pick to Orlando, our first rounder(which could be top 5 if we stand pat) would go to Brooklyn along with Dwight.

We have began rebuilding. Lets not do a quick patchwork for a season to push our rebuilding back another year like the astros seemed to do every year. We have some good picks coming up and some good youngsters. Lets roll with it

Btw. Ive been following Clutchfans for about 10 years now.

13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I can see this (the bynum part..).

Considered starting a thread, but has anyone gotten a renewed respect for DM based on these possible S&Ts (Lee, Camby)... i thought these guys were basically walking for nothing, but teams requiring a S&T due to cap stuff might actually give us something for nothing (or at least nothing we're gonna retain anyway...) ;)

14. 34to11

34to11 Member

Exactly.

15. liveguy

liveguy Member

Not gonna happen.

16. liveguy

liveguy Member

This.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The love affair for Howard..isnt bc he doesnt "like-us"...its that he is the only available superstar...on the market...someone that Morey has so desperately tried acquiring. That will be his legacy...

If Howard doesnt like us now...and if he wants to leave...that is fine...but i think every one wants to rather have a chance to win and be relevant than...being a team in the cellar without a chance for anything...

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

is worse

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

If the Dwight trade does not include Motiejunas, Lamb or White, would you be on board then? The Rockets have collected a ton of assets this offseason, and are still in acquisition mode.

It is possible to swing a trade without any of the three you mentioned. How probable that is I am not sure but it is certainly not impossible to generate a realistic/favorable trade for Howard that does not include those 3 players.

The Rockets have a smorgasborg of non-guaranteed contracts, expiring contracts, partially guaranteed contracts, players and picks. This includes the Camby SnT package plus another potential one with Lee.

20. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

I say we move on pass Dwight, and get our team back on track.