1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zero playoffs, nothing to be gained

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bobby60, Apr 17, 2012.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It's not a weak argument. Lowry/14th pick/17th pick would be a nice package to get a player to build around.

Chances for what? This team is not winning a championship and likely not getting out of the first round. We just lost four huge games in a row with a win in any of those four probably locking up a playoff spot. What makes you think a team that would lay an egg like that has any real chance of making any serious noise in the playoffs.

2. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

So it's better if we don't make the PO? Explain how is it better in this situation, just don't say "making Les richer". Every time we have a chance of making the PO, go for it, why not? I don't see how it can hurt us, when every team in the league is fighting for the PO or wanting to be in the playoffs, but we shouldn't? It's worse for us if we don't make the playoffs imo. We should of tanked this year, but that's not the case, we have chance, n we should take it.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What is to gain for not making it? A somewhat higher pick?

Odds are against the team now, but 25-30% is not insignificant. Frustrating season, but what is to be gaines from stewing in your depression?

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

In a year where we lose our pick if we make the playoffs I don't see how making it does us any good. If you go look at the last few years of 7th and 8th seed teams that have made the playoffs with no young superstars or a proven superstar you will find a bunch of teams that haven't really progressed. Even the Bulls were just hanging around the bottom of the east until they missed the playoffs and got Rose.

I would much much rather miss the playoffs and take a shot on a player like Rivers or Lamb than make it and lose our pick. I also don't buy the flexibility option because I don't see how the Nets turn down the Knicks pick if we miss the playoffs. I think we can have even more flexibility by missing the playoffs and having two picks to deal with.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We gain insight that maybe Patterson and Morris should be dealt .... those are role players more than potential stars... although I think Morris will get better in time. Do we want to wait is the question.
    We gain insight that Les' way is more looking like a cul de sac.....
    We gain more insight that Morey is smart but he isn't having his way trading for allstars or drafting very good players with 14th picks......

This can't continue...... even if we make the 8th spot

6. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

Valid point
    But what if we make some noise in the PO? Lotta people are ruling this option out, but it's not impossible.

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I would be all for that if I thought this team was going to keep growing and come back next year with a similar roster but I doubt that is the case. We will probably have a very different roster next year if Morey gets his way. I'm all for playoff experience for a growing team but I don't think the Rockets are going to take that route.

8. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

Well the way I see it make the PO, hopefully make some noise, which will bring recognition n the players' value will go up, which will help us in offseason to land/trade the players that we need to. That's our current best option imo. Otherwise we might have similar roster next year just different names (i hope im wrong).

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not sure which of our players is going to skyrocket their value in the playoffs. Dragic has a chance but that does us no good since he is unrestricted. Lowry has some potential to do that too but he already has very good value around the league with his bargain contract. Which of our players do you think has a good chance of really increasing his stock during the playoffs?

10. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

So what is to be gained from being the 9th seed huh, the 14th pick again?

11. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

The whole team, it's better for the city, it's better for the team, it's better for the franchise. If that happens (us making noise) players around the league will more likely wanna come here (more than now for sure), b/c there's potential of being better n taking it to the higher level, we all know how the media works especially in the PO, plus we'll get better deals in trades. If we don't make the PO, we'll stay in the same spot as this year, n we'll probably give up more in trades.

My bad I don't c anything bad of making the PO. I might be wrong, but it is what it is.

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Honestly the real heartbreak here is that we know the potential of the rockets and how they have been able to beat some pretty good teams in the west this year.
    Just this slip up is what i hate, had the mojo stayed from the 4 game win streak heading into the playoffs then id be so confident.

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I don't really see any of our players having breakout post seasons and convincing GMs that they are different players than what they currently think they are especially when the odds are that they will likely only have 5-6 games to do so.

14. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

lure FAs?
    attracting FAs w/ cap room, playoff team, next years all star game, warm weather

15. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

What makes anyone here think that this Rockets team will fair any better in the next 5 games after the last 4 games.

These are home games in must win to lock playoff spot situations and they lay 3 eggs losing big in 3 and the Monday night thriller. The fact they lost put them in such a bad position that they cannot get any better seat than 7th so it's either OKC or Spurs. Neither will lose a 7 game serious to this Rockets time.

Tonight is the season, lose and Dallas in position to make playoffs, and potentally Rockets in 10th place. Win and there is a puncher's chance of sneaking in.

16. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Austin Rivers, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones, Henson or Zeller.

17. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

u have a valid point, n that might work as well. So either way its good for us :cool:
    One thing is certain we all want for us to be contenders (or in that conversation) as soon as possible.

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Couldn't agree more with that last statement lol

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They can give the pick this year if they want to.

DD

20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

They not will drop that low, you crazy?