1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zeller, Noel, Gobert or Austin?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sydmill, Sep 27, 2012.

?

Who do you like most?

1. Cody Zeller

31 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Nerlens Noel

46 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Rudy Gobert

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Isaiah Austin

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Zeller in his prime offensively will make Dwight look foolish. Dwight will always be the better defender and weakside help defender, rim protector. But Cody is far superior offensively to Dwight.

Unfortunately, because Dwight can't be efficient at the free throw line, he will never be a fully dominant player and when his athleticism wanes as he ages, the cracks in his game will become even more onerous.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

^^^^^ Cody Zeller will be a much better pro than Brooks Lopez and it won't even be close. Zeller is a plus passer, is an all around better offensive and defensive player and has a fire in his belly like the greats do.

I'm not sure how good Zeller will be in the pros but, he's a tireless worker and wants to get better everyday. I think Zeller will be better than most feel he'll be.

3. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

hes not that good

4. mikol13

Supporting Member

He's much better than you are giving him credit for. Wait until you see him this year, he's grown taller, put on 20 pounds of muscle and he's gonna kill it. He needs to work on rebounding for sure but, he will continue to improve in all areas.

5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

I'll keep an eye on him for sure

i know he's #1 in a lot of mocks

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Zeller may have more skill, but its unlikely he ever becomes as effective as Dwight, even offensively. Dwight's a 20 ppg scorer consistently shooting over 55%, and grabs a ton of offensive rebounds. Can't count on him in the clutch, but neither could you Shaq.

It's cool that you are a huge Cody Zeller fan. I hope he turns out like you say and the Rockets draft him.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How in the world can anyone say with a straight face that a player that has yet to be drafted will be better than the better center at anything in the NBA currently???

I like the kid, and IF the nba draft was tonight he's probably my #1 pick, but there is another 8 months or so until we find out for sure if someone else doesn't explode onto the scene this season.

Again, I like the kid alot, but we have no idea whether he's even going to be better at any one thing than Greg Smith(although a good guess) much less Dwight Howard in the NBA.

8. mikol13

Supporting Member

I love Zeller's potential at the next level, but there is no way to positively say what he'll become when he gets there.

9. mikol13

Supporting Member

Short but interesting read on Zeller's progress.

Zeller continues to add strength, diversify game
    Many of Indiana’s players are currently off campus for a break between the second semester of summer school and the start of the fall semester, but Crean was asked for the latest on Cody Zeller’s progression before he left campus.
    “When he left, the measurements were as good as they’ve ever been from him. He was squatting 400, he was benching 305. He did 185 (on the bench) twenty-two times, which is incredible,” Crean said. “He came in doing it ten times a year ago, so that’s the kind of jump he’s had in that time frame. He’s grown. He’s a legit 7-foot in his shoes. His vertical has gone up almost three inches since he’s been at Indiana.”
    Crean said that Zeller, who was recently cited as the most coveted player in college basketball amongst a poll of coaches by CBS Sports, is also more confident in all aspects of his game.
    “I think he’s really bought into the fact that we want to make him the hardest cover in college basketball,” Crean said. “No matter what you’re planning for him when it comes to the double teams or when it comes to how you’re going to guard him, that he has an answer in his own game for that.”

10. Raven

Raven Member

No mention of Shabazz?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/shabazz-muhammad

11. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

13. RockNRandy

RockNRandy Member

I have done a lot of research and followed a lot of these prospects since the Rockets are in need of a playmaking center weather defensively or offensively or both.

I feel after watching tape and looking at all of them. I'm hoping for Rudy Gobert to be a Rocket.

He really is the best kept secret and prolly the best basketball player out of France since Tony Parker.

There is no player like him. He is so lankey and lean. He is a freak. Nothing but arms and legs.

His offensive game has improved a lot. and some people might see him as skinny he really plays a physicals brand of basketball.

He can contest and shot and plays smart and is just a difficult match up in the paint weather offensively or defensely.

Plus he has yet to hit is ceiling and is floor is not bad as a prospect.

I'm hoping and preying for Rudy Gobert in a Rocket unifoan be a 7'2 Durant like center. Not as offensively skilled but I seen him as a transcending center in The NBA.

1 person likes this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Speaking of Zeller, it's hard for me to believe IU is ESPN's pre-season #1. I really hope they are legit and have a great year.

15. mikol13

Supporting Member

Why is it so hard to believe? You watched them play last year, they were very good and have all 5 starters returning. Not to mention a deep bench and a great recruiting class. I'm an IU homer but make no mistake IU is back and very much one of the favorites to win it all.

I can't wait for the season to start. This team stays healthy and I truly believe IU will be hanging another banner.

By the way, this is by no means an attack on your comment. I know what you're saying, I'm just crazy pumped for this season.

#35 mikol13, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  16. mikol13

Supporting Member

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

shabazz noel or zeller this year i hope.

and another top pick next year and the rookies we have this year would be in the 3rd year.

and at that point lin and asik could transition to the bench.\

yeah i can dream :grin:

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So, with the team currently constructed, I would change my pick from Noel to Zeller.

Not a fan of getting Shabazz now that we have Harden. He would be a great scorer off the bench, but we're not in the position to draft a bench player. We need a starter.

And I dream of a Zeller/Asik frontcourt. And yes, I do think he can play PF, at least for a couple years while he's young. Having Zeller, Asik, D-Mo, and TJones as our big men going forward would be a great thing. We need a guy who can score in the post, and Zeller can do just that.

Lin/Not Toney Douglas
    Harden/Delfino/Cook
    Parsons/Morris
    TJones/Zeller/D-Mo
    Asik/Zeller/D-Mo

19. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Great post.

Raw, raw, raw, big, and raw. Haha. I'm not so sure about his upside on the offensive end of the court. I've only seen him in action once, but his size alone already makes him a decent defender. Add in the fact that he shows some natural shot-blocking instinct and he could be a very good defender.

Count me as one of those guys that worries about long term upside. Not a fan of him as a top 5 pick.

Like Adams, only trade the strength for athleticism. Gobert is the better shot-blocker. Better hands. Every bit as raw on offense. I'd put Gobert ahead of Adams on my list for the upside, which seems higher.

This seems more like a Perry Jones knock than an Isaih Austin knock. Austin is a very aggressive shot-blocker and scorer. His frame is is obviously very lanky, so outside of certain matchups at the 5 I see him as a stretch 4 in the NBA. Of everyone you mentioned, I think Austin would be the best fit at the 4 next to Asik. His offense is more developed than anyone else on the list, and none of them will develop his shooting touch at any point in their careers. Weakside blocking would also be a huge plus with his length next to the stone wall that is Asik.

Worth noting that I am a Baylor fan, but I'm trying to stay unbiased.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I am with RockNRandy on the Gobert bandwagon. But I would love to see him next to either Asik in Houston or Ibaka in OKC.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FXSgw_epvDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He is just killing this junior high team.