1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Zanesville Time Recorder] Kevin Martin: Career is at 'highest point'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jun 26, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I've been known to criticize KMart, but this is a ridiculous logic.

Kobe Bryant is a top 2 SG, and he shoots 45%.
    Manu Ginobili is a top 5 SG, and he shoots 43%.

Kevin Martin shooting 43% is a pretty damn decent percentage, considering what his peers are doing, especially the elite ones. Furthermore, he's a jumpshooter playing without a guy who gets doubled team on a consistent basis.

You may criticize his defense, lack of playmaking or 4th quarter clutchness, but his offense in general, c'mon now.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Both Ginobli and Kobe are better on defense, and pass the ball better than Kmart, both are far far far far better.

DD

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

And I recognized his weaknesses in my post. But Kevin Martin's offense isn't the problem considering what we are asking him to do. Our offense wasn't a problem last year.

Our problem is what you mentioned: an all-around player who elevates the play of others around him--an all-star ala a Kobe/Manu. We can't fault KMart for not being on the level of those guys, when he was never one in his entire career.

He's a very very good offensive player, and he has done that for us. Can't blame players for playing up to their caliber.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Defense and passing?

You finally remembered what those are now that you are finished riding Aaron Brooks's... train?

5. DaDakota

Our problem last year was on defense....out of our starters, IMO.

Chuck was good - but not against taller more ahtletic players
    Scola is not a good defender
    Kmart is a horrible defender
    CBud is below average at defense
    Lowry is tough, but slow laterally on defense

You can win like that, but you need complimentary pieces to fill in the weaknesses.....

For instance, on the perimeter, neither Kyle or Kmart are good at stopping penetration, so you need a shot blocking big to protect the rim to help them out.

Meh, we have had this talk a lot before.

DD

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I love how people on this board actually look at FG% seriously. They actually think Kobe is more efficient from the field than KMart.

Ignorance abounds, only @ CF.

7. NMS is the Best

Martin actually has a higher effective fg% than Kobe since he shoots more 3s and makes them at 38%.

Martin: 50.6% eFg
    Kobe: 48.7% eFg

8. foo82

foo82 Member

I'm going to comment on this.

Chuck was good - but not against taller more ahtletic players

Chuck excelled against these centers. The only player he seemed to have trouble against was zach randolf. The way chuck is neutralized is against defensive minded centers that do not have much offensive game. This reduces his effectiveness since his role because more of a paint protector and and rebounder.

Scola is not a good defender

He's not a bad defender either. He's actually fairly average. I would say his main problem is his pick and roll defense where sometimes he more often than not switch onto the guard instead of going back to protect the roll.

CBud is below average at defense

He's more than below average. He's just plain bad. At times, I thought he was worse than Keven Martin. To be fair, he did improve as the season went along, but I dreaded ISO plays against other SFs.

9. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I don't get.... This town never appreciates it's good players until they are gone. Kevin Martin is a big time shooting guard in this league and he is a Rocket. It's not his fault that we couldn't rebound or protect the paint last year! He did his part....very well I might add. No, he is not the best defender on the team, but Morey didn't bring him here to be that because a 7'6 wall was "suppose" to be there waiting in the paint to change/block shots. All this trade Martin now because he's peaked is silly. I wouldn't trade Martin unless I knew for sure I was getting a bonafide superstar back and there are only about 5 in this league despite the ones who wants to classify overrated players as such.

The Rockets are a defensive big man away from 50 wins and an All-star (whether drafted or traded for) away from a deep playoff run and it doesn't take a genius to see it.

As far as DD is concerned...I read you glorify Aaron Brooks and he couldn't play one lick of defense, but you never wanted to trade him last summer...wasn't he at his peak? Chase is the worst defender on this squad, yet you never mention moving him. I think people just want consistency.

10. DaDakota

Every single player and how they fit are different, I did not want to trade a 20ppg and 6 assists per game player because that was near elite production from our PG position.

Lowry proved that he was just as effective last year, and with more defense.....

I would move ANYONE on this team, CBUD, anyone....and BTW, Chase has gotten a lot better at defense.....a lot better.

DD

11. sjackson0

But you will trade 24ppg from a 2 guard that shoots 44% from the field and gets to the line 9 times a game? Also, the guy takes about 12-16 shots a game to get those numbers. It's your opinion DD and I respect that...just don't agree.

LOL...I also don't agree on your assessment of CBUD's improving defense. I love Chase...I really do, but he is BAD on that end of the floor. If you truly believe that he improved, then I'll meet you halfway. Only if you can agree that he improved from pathetic to bad, than we'll be in the same soup cup lol

12. DaDakota

Yes, because I think that if you get a guy in there who provides about 16ppg, and 4 assists and also plays defense, it will have a more positive effect on the team overall.

DD

13. sjackson0

Just give Courtney Lee some of your boy Chase's minutes then lol Problem solved

14. DaDakota

Who do you think I am talking about? It is EXACTLY Courtney Lee.

DD

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I highly doubt Martin is going to be traded unless its for a clear cut perennial all-star/super star

it is not the same as aaron brooks...brooks was not efficient at all in trying to score his 20 ppg in the 09-10 season (taking 16 shots a game in doing so) and of course you had a guy whose first second and third thoughts were to score playing a position that is traditionally meant for facilitating and running the offense.

Plugging in Lowry a guy who is a more traditional PG allowed everyone else on the team get more shots and generally those players were more efficient scorers

Martin on the other hand is an elite scorer playing a position whose primary focus is scoring/ending plays on the offensive. Getting rid of Martin and putting in a guy who scores around 15-17ppg wont be the same because you will not have another player on the team (as it stands right now) putting as much pressure on the opposing defenses. Consider that Martin always gets to the line a lot this leads to increased FTAs for the team as a whole. A loose ball foul late in a quarter could mean FTs for Scola or anyone else instead of a side out because of Martin's "knack" of drawing fouls earlier in the quarter. All this factors in so swapping out a guy who isnt as good of a scorer isnt going to help the team at all just because he is an average or above avg defender. You would have to have a guy who can score 22-23 ppg effectively and efficiently (no antoine walkers here please) and play at least average defense to make an easy case to move Martin...but generally those guys who can do both are all-stars and not easily traded.

Both Brooks and Martin are elite at losing their man on defense and getting scored on

16. DaDakota

LOL - here we agree.

DD

17. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

People rip on Kobe for a low fg percentage, why would Martin get a pass on that? And to be honest, Kobe is still more effective than Martin will probably ever be. I'm not saying trade KM since he's better than anybody at SG we'll ever get, I just didn't realize he shot a worse percentage than Kobe who's name is synonymous with low percentages.

I realize Martin shoots more 3's but the shot itself is worth 3 points for a reason. You'll obviously shoot a lower percentage from further away.

18. ashishduh

Same could be said of Brooks.

Your logic is beyond absurd at this point, let's not even mention how deep the league is at PG compared to SG, lol...

19. ashishduh

Not sure you understand what effective FG% is. Here is the difference:

FG% treats every shot as a 2 pointer.
    eFG% actually includes 2 pointers and 3 pointers.

Imagine if Martin shot 40% from the field but took ALL 3 pointers and Shaq shot 50% from the field, taking all 2s. Does that mean Shaq is more efficient? No, Martin is still more efficient.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Exactly. This is the only way he'll be traded. And if we end up trading Scola or someone else for that superstar, then KMart would be an excellent #2 scorer.

I especially love the chemistry KLowry has with KMart. Lowry just sets him up perfectly for 3 pointers and transition buckets. It's fun to watch.

I would rather have a defensive player next to Kmart though. Bud and Kmart playing defense together is just frightful.