1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe - The Tiers of the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jordnnnn, Oct 28, 2014.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/n...rs-oklahoma-city-thunder-cleveland-cavaliers/

He has us on top of the 4th tier. 6th in the West. I think it's a fair assessment, but personally I think Memphis should be in the same tier as us.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Bold prediction, 76ers will not have the worst record in the league at the end of the season

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's a lot of tiers.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

reading only the OP, I don't disagree with anything he said, and 4th tier sounds about right to me. Portland definitely isn't 2nd tier and we couldn't even beat them.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Seems reasonable. 3-8 in the West is only going to be separated by a few games.

6. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

why are the Warriors getting so much love, is it just because of the coach upgrade?

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Probably my favorite thing about his take is that the 3rd team in the East doesn't show up until after the 11th team in the West. All these power rankings that have come out are really missing the boat on that. The East sucks.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Portland played out of their minds over their head, and they STILL only barely beat us with a miracle shot. That shot doesn't go in, we come back to Houston, no way we lose that series in a 7th game. So don't talk like Portland clobbered us, they did not. We were the better team, they just had amazingly good fortune, moreso than us at that particular time. That was ALL.

9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Speaking of that, what has Kerr done to prove he is a coaching upgrade?

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think his write up pretty much sums up what everyone on the bandwagon has to think. The defense was already there and they have some really nice players on offense.

I just think they rely too much on jump shots to be a consistently great offense.

Funny thing about the line of thought with the warriors is that we are the same just flipped. The offense is already there and now we have the good players on defense.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

miracle shot and a HOF showing by LMA in those first two games

12. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Fair point.

In fact, part of the reason they did so well on defense (over achieved) was BECAUSE of Mark Jackson

13. jk103

jk103 Member

He's willing to listen to Alvin Gentry, which makes him about a thousand times better than Mark Jackson.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wonder if they think that GSW will be a better offensive team with Kerr while still maintaining the defense of Marc Jackson.

I cant wait for this season.. People are really down on the Rockets because we don't have the sexy names on the bench and in the starting lineup. I think our defense will make us a surprising team.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/EdwinGutierrez">@EdwinGutierrez</a> How on Planet Earth could you read that and say I'm counting Houston out?</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/527143112771371008">October 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/EdwinGutierrez">@EdwinGutierrez</a> Any # of West teams, including HOU, could rise up. That's spelled out clearly. Not counting anyone out. Come on.</p>&mdash; Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/527145204823097344">October 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Karolik

Karolik Member

Simply not true...Only a few teams from the West have a chance for a ring ...and houston isn't one of them.

17. jedicro

jedicro Member

lol at Zach responding to the mindless hive.

18. NotChandlerParsons

He does this after every article he writes, it's pretty funny.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What's the point of having a "tier" for every two or three teams? It's basically a team ranking with lots of ties.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i dont really have any complaints about any of these, harden needs to show that defensive improvement during the season.