1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Terrence Jones could be asking for $15M per year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Aug 4, 2015.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Probably why the Montrezl Harrell contract is so important. It would be bad allocation of resources to pay Jones and Dmo what they'd get in the open market (~$25-$30m combined) for one position. Morey will probably trade one of Dmo or Jones, pay the other, and have Harrell backup at a lower salary level.

To answer an earlier question, the downside of signing an extension now is that you can't trade a player you've extended until the next season (I believe). This would limit our in-season flexibility, and if I'm right about Morey eventually wanting to pay one and sell the other, it'd force him to either pick the guy he wants long term and leave the other hanging (which no doubt would foster resentment) or sign both and give up on trading in season. Neither option is very good.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Oh no, definitely not forgetting that Ariza's deal is a bargain. Shoot, if you remember that it is decreasing every year I think it becomes a downright steal.

Brewer's and Beverley's deals seemed to be good bargains as well, at least IMO when you compare them to the other deals that players were getting.

We don't know if Jones will get 15mil or not, this is just Lowe's speculation. But I would have a hard time seeing that as a good deal if he did

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This league will value potential and ceiling on a young player more than anything else.

Why would you think Morey will even willing to pay KJ anything if only based on his performance so far?

If Corey Joseph and Aron Baynes will get 7 mils plus multi years contracts this year, there is no reason for TJ's team not to look for much more next year when the cap will go crazy.

5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

LMAO At these morons supporting T Jones. That clown has been in the league for 3 years now. Isn't he by now should have developed and proven himself he's worth 15 million a year? He has shown pure mediocrity and poor performance in the playoffs.

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I wish some folks here would stop criminally undervaluing our 2 PFs. (Especially TJ) Does the egg feel good on the face or something? (I don't get it)

This is why Morey gave JSmoove lukewarm vibes and JSmoove could see the writing on the wall. Could really care less about JSmoove being gone with a healthy D-Mo & TJ because both of those cats are better than JSmoove right now.

Daryl scooped up 2 late 1st round draft picks, developed them an entire year in the Rio Grande Valley, and has them for super cheap right before they are both about to command some major near-max cha-ching. I even ain't laughing. I'm sitting back like "yep".

I love reading stuff like this below. Gets me all excited for this upcoming season. Our PF situation got deeper. Uh-huh I said it.

Jones has barely logged 3,000 minutes over three seasons, but he has the potential to be the most versatile non–Anthony Davis two-way player from this draft class — especially if that languid 3-point stroke morphs into a reliable weapon.

(from March to the end of the regular season, he was doing really nice with his 3-ball)

[Motiejunas] emerged last season as a legit post-up hub — a pivoting blur of cruel pump fakes and flippy hooks capable of slipping nifty passes around double-teams. He started hitting 3s from outside the corners, improved his defense, and survived at center during Dwight Howard’s absence.

2 people like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

trade his ass now. Boy crazy as hell

8. SemisolidSnake

Nothing wrong with laughing our asses off at it, either.

I'm gonna assume this is a joke where they're asking for $1 million per missed layup per game.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I could see a 3 year 15 mil contract for Jones....15 mil total, not per year.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

T-Jones (Scarlett O'Hara): What about Morey? He's just got to help.

Gersson (Pork): He ain't got the money.

T-Jones (Scarlett O'Hara): Well, I can ask, can't I? (storming off)

Gersson (Pork): (sadly shaking head, mumbling to himself because Tjones walked off) Askin' ain't gettin'.

11. bigred77

bigred77 Member

You can't pay them more than Harden right?

Even with that Adidas money, paying an unproven, 20mpg PF more than your teams best player has to ruffle some feathers in the locker room.

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

There are 4 players in GSW will make more than Curry next season.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Do you think Morey will trade either Jones or D-Mo now, or later into the season?

1 person likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

/thread

BTW, this is exactly why the Rockets will not keep both Jones and Motiejunas after their contracts expire.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

But Jones will be a free agent next year, when most teams will have huge amounts of cash to spend. That is the difference. If Brewer, or Beverley, or Ariza were free agents next summer, then they would be getting more money also.

16. KDZ

KDZ Member

wait how much does James Harden make

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

"Morons supporting Jones" and rational NBA followers understanding the market next Summer are two separate things.

You guys are making up your own narrative to create someone to fight with that is a representation of the Jones feral hate you guys feel for the guy like he's wronged you on a personal level.

Nobody here WANTS to pay Jones 15 mil next year... NO ONE. But being realistic about what he's going to get offered isn't a negative trait for knowledgeable fans to have. Stop trying to create a non-existent enemy.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the disconnect here is that some say he's not worth 15 mil a year. If he gets it from some other team, great for him....just no one wants the Rockets to waste that kind of cash on a player of his caliber.

19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I would guess later in the season or next offseason. Both have injury question marks, and both have to prove that they are more like their peak versions last year than their subpar versions. Both guys played great at times, and disappeared at times, which is probably why people are so mixed on them.

It's also possible that they both play well, but one establishes himself as a better fit to the Rockets whereas the other is a better value overall(e.g. Dmo shows himself capable of playing well as PF or C in small lineups, while Jones becomes better overall player but not capable of playing smallball center, and the Rockets decide Dmo's versatility is more useful for this team).

Lastly, by holding onto them as late as possible we'll be able to see who Houston should target as a midseason acquisition. Given that we're pretty much all in this season, I'd be shocked if one of these guys was traded for a pick or some future asset midseason (that would be more likely in the offseason).

20. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

It sucks how much clutchfans underrates Jones. Jones has tons of untapped potential. This season was really so awful for him. I'm sure he would have made the jump this season. I'm not saying he's this great player, but he's a special guy. He runs the court so well, and can finish pretty well. This sucks, man. I wish people on here respected him more, but I do understand due to his disappearing in the playoffs.

idk. Potential places in my opinion Jones could be trades to is washington, portland, and toronto.