1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Terrence Jones could be asking for $15M per year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

1.Dmo played most of teh year at the C position iam sure he is a better rebounder then jones....blocking out and court awarness favor dmo by a mile
    lets not forget that harrison freakin barnes was rebounding over this softy

2.R u one of those stupid jones homer who blames the injury and knocking off rust for his stupid play?...stupid play cant be fixed , soft play cant be fixed, ....he might have the worst court awareness in the nba, and then might have the worst looking shot in the nba

3.He isnt meat for top flight pfs he is meat for every offensive pf in the nba....and since there is soo many in the west heres a solution..trade him to someone before his only valuable asset (contract) expires.

This is what a PF on the houston rockets should excel at for us to be the best team in the nba

1. Great Defense
    2.Good rebounding
    3.Good Defensive awarness (help defense)
    4.Space the floor

And iam sorry just cuz our pf can dribble doesent mean hes even close to adequate for us...he does all those things horribly i cant believe there r still ppl who think hes a very good nba player lol....

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On 1, DMo boxes out so while Jones gets more rebounds than DMo, the Rockets rebound better with DMo. This is with DMo playing every minute on the floor with DMo at center who is in your words a considerably worse rebounder than Jones. DMo is not a good rebounder, but I'd rather Dwight fight opposing center for the rebound than Jones, opposing PF, Howard, and opposing center fighting for rebound.

On 2, I can't speak of what he meant by erratic play.

On 3, Rockets are a playoff team and are generally going to crush teams without a top flight PF regardless of whether Motiejunas or Jones is the PF. I don't think think there is this huge divide between Motiejunas and Jones, but I clearly favor Motiejunas against top-flight PFs (not including LMA). Motiejunas is the better defender (though I believe Jones is better at defending isolation), the better shooter, and better person at boxing out, while Jones is better at ball handling and going after rebounds.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. It is fine to block out when playing next to someone like Howard, but when Howard is out, he should absolutely be focusing on rebounding. When D-Mo is the big man on the court, who was he blocking out for? I saw him blocking out as a center, for what...a guard? That board is his. He needs to go up strong and at least try and get it. The problem with D-Mo is that he is a complete p***y (no balls at all) when it comes to fighting for boards.

3. At this point in time, all we know is that T-Jones (like most normal PF's would have), sucked it up against the top flight talents at PF. We don't know how D-Mo would have fared given he's played about 5 minutes in the playoffs so far. It is basically "Bad" vs "Unknown" and I am more than willing to give "Unknown" a try. That said, T-Jone's D is not that bad and a lot better than people think.

Like I said before in other threads, I believe at this point in time that D-Mo is the better player, but the difference is not big at all. The real question going forward is which skill set do we prefer with this team. If D-Mo can come back strong from his back injury and show us that he can still consistently hit that corner 3 when open, he will be the much better fit. His ability to create his own shots however, becomes a lot less important this season, given that we have Lawson, who is a much better and proven option. That said, if Lawson does fall off the wagon, having D-Mo will be awesome.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets rebound better with DMo no matter what names you call him...even though DMO plays every minute DMO is at center. If everyone boxes out, DMO will get rebound.

DMO will lose his post ups which, but Jones losses his ball handling opportunities when Lawson is on the court. DMo has the better supporting skills (shooting, defense)...which leads to DMo likely being a better fit with Lawson.

That said, I think DMO and Jones both are bottom division starters or good backups. DMo fits Rockets better. I see Jones playing well in Eastern conference.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Geez why are people still trying to argue D-Mo's attributes vs Jones' attributes and vice versa? It's like arguing whose the better rapper, Thom Yorke or Shakira?

The point is they are just too way different type of players. The overall production is similar on paper though so it's just way too easy to make arguments one way or another and modulate based on who you want to promote. It's really freaking tireless and bothersome around these parts while we should be much more positive and optimistic about our situation that constantly looking for negative traits to support your argument.

So... Carry on.

6. Raven

Raven Member

If D-Mo is healthy, you stick with him, instead of Jones, but handing a max to a big man who's already needed back surgery before he's played 200 games is a crazy crazy risk, especially since there are questions about Dwight's durability. Like I said, I can see scenarios where both players are shipped out before the deadline.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Dude, it's the offseason. :p

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lol. Chiding others for discussion and then discusses topic.

9. dobro1229

Yes that's kind of the point. Free agency in 2016 isn't starting tomorrow. We are really going to need both guys most likely especially being hard capped with no method to replace their talent and versatility. When one or both guys are riding the bench because there is no available minutes of a role for them this year then we can talk.

10. dobro1229

No it's the only one or the other argument that is annoying. Those guys don't need to be in a constant battle royale with the fans. See above post.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I know. It's like voters who see no fault in either side, Republicans or Democrats--this one's infallible, that one's 150% worthless--and you ...just....can't....reach them.

12. malakas

malakas Member

I'm not one side or another in this meaningless pointless stupid fight.
    BUT what dobro is saying is not exactly right.
    If one of them is riding the bench and can't get minutes then his trading value will plummet. Then because it's their contract year, there's a possibillity - judging by other comparable cases- that said athletes demand a trade. Then even more lower trade value.

Dobro doesn't care about trading value I know that. He also thinks that his value is not that much in the first place.
    I disagree.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Don't think he was saying that either one will be riding the bench because they won't. He was speaking hypothetically for sake

14. dobro1229

Does anyone here (minus Hollic/Bobby)honestly think one of Jones/DMo will be riding the bench as a un usable player? If that happens then we must have hit the Jackpot with Harrell and the team must have a perfect bill of health. We should be lucky to have such a GREAT problem like that where we then have to worry about Jones/DMos trade value plummeting.

If we are lucky enough to have that situation than for sure whoever is riding the pine would probably need to be moved at the deadline.

Right now with so many unknowns MY OPINION is that we need BOTH these guys as actual rotation players more than we need a late first/multiple seconds/whatever to execute a later trade to get a player who probably isn't as valuable of a contributor now as DMo and Jones are now at a position of need.

Believe it or not around here that's a pretty F-ing controversial statement.

15. malakas

malakas Member

I don't think it will happen however smart teams and GMs trade before things come to that and the value comes down. It has already come down from last year (for both of them) because of their contract situation.
    As I said there is the false notion anyway in this forum that Jones market is non existant.

16. malakas

malakas Member

It's a pretty respectable statement actually.
    It all has to do with priorities. If you think the priority of the franchise is win NOW (and by now I mean this year only) then that's what the plan should be.
    I just happen to disagree with that because I don't think the direction should be shortsighted.
    However a championship >>>>> next year bad cap situation with only one pf. That's why your statement is not controversial at all.

17. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

If John Henson just got $11-12 mil a year, then TJones and Dmo will easily command $15 mil

18. bmd

bmd Member

Blocking out and rebounding aren't opposites of each other.

You are supposed to block out as soon as a shot goes up to get in good position to grab a rebound.

Right when someone releases a shot, as the ball is in the air, you should put your forearm in your opponent's chest, then turn around and move him backwards with your butt so that you can get inside position and create space so that you have a clear path to jump up and grab the rebound.

Dwight is great at getting good position even when he's not in a good spot when the shot goes up. He executes swim maneuvers and is crafty at getting his opponent on his backside.

19. bmd

bmd Member

I think you misunderstand the purpose of blocking out. You block out so that you can grab a rebound. Blocking out is essential to rebounding. You should do it every single time.

Blocking out doesn't mean you are trying to create a rebounding opportunity for someone else... you block out to create a rebounding opportunity for yourself.

Blocking out is just putting your opponent behind you so that you are in the best position possible to grab the rebound. You are fighting for inside position.

20. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Clutch and Dobro both of you are delluded and keep claiming that booby an bholic arent readin what you are saying.. but its he complete opposite

All you two have ever said about jones is two things
    1. he is versatile....which reallly doesent do anything for us
    2. he is an elite finisher in the rim....when 20% of his shots at the rim got stuffed.

Its not about bringing someone in to replace that , its about getting someone who fits what we NEED from the PF position which is y we havent traded him to any team by now(dmos injury too) because he is clearly a FLAWED PF.

His shooting percentage at the rim is high during the season for a reason,,, instead of just looking up stats and repeating them over and over again trying to prove your idiotic point that jones is irreplacable you forget that when ppl didnt respect his shot in the playoffs that percentage went down drastically because his shot is ****....he needs harden for easy buckets dmo doesent need anyone, thats y he is replaceable and dmo isnt

and looking at lawsons practice video ....i mean please watch it and tell me if jones with that **** stroke will ever learn how to shoot properly, i mean if you cant fix something that looks that bad and netted that bad reults , what are you getting paid millions to do, get stronger??

As for Codman...If you can honestly say you dont believe that jones has a bad basketball IQ, then iam sorry you havent watched us the past 2 seasons its that simple..

1) when he drives off a pass its only to go the basket even when hes doubled and has wideopen shoooters

2) He has no idea how to box out a defender and got outrebounded by the mammoth harrison barnes (that has everything to do with positioning and awarness)

3) If he gets an O rebound you can forget the ball being kicked out ...instead it gets blocked in his face cuz hes too short to bang with big boys at 5ft..

In conclusion ...we want our PF to space the floor,We want our PFto be a good defender,We want our PF to do his rebounding job.
    Thats what our Houston Rockets should ask from our PF and what we need for our team to be unstoppable...he does all those things horribly