1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Terrence Jones could be asking for $15M per year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Aug 4, 2015.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Truthfully on paper D-Mo looks to be the better starter next to Dwight. But Jones has been doing his part.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Thinking that he's a solid role player isn't where you go wrong, it's thinking that he's a role player that would be difficult to replace is where you go wrong. Athletic garbage men aren't that hard to find, and most of them play better defense than Jones.

3. bmd

bmd Member

Jones is not a garbage man. He's more skilled than that.

Capela is more of a garbage man than Jones is.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, he can sort of dribble, but his game is basically transition and garbage baskets either off of rebounds or scoring the really easy dunks or layups that other people set up for him. He's not really a shooter, he's not really good enough to where he can effectively post up or face up consistently. Let's try to be honest here.

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

They wont listen to you. Some posters on this board have an irrational love affair with Jones because he's 6"8.25' with a decent vertical and can kind of dribble the ball.

They need to see him get abused in the playoffs another year before they'll willing admit he has little value.

Hopefully Morey will trade him (fingers crossed) well before then.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Montrezl Harrell is the replacement for TJones

/thread

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Calling him a garbage man or replaceable is where you keep going off the rails.

You haven't provided a single example of a guy who shoots 71% at the rim and has a 117 ORtg

Yet you keep repeating your content-free, stat-free, zero insight opinion

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I like TJ... DMo's slow healing is concerning.

I think TJ is better equipped in an offense with better spacing. He's not a pick and pop PF like David West.

He needs room to set his feet and make a move to the basket, in order to be effective.

I think a lot of people were hoping for that Luis Scola jumper from one of our PFs. We haven't had that in awhile, and the closest thing to it on our roster is DMo. However, that's not a strength in his game. He can hit the jumper, and the three from time to time, but he's better with his back to the basket.

In the Rockets' offense, especially when James is in, we need a PF that can hit a jumper consistently. It would make life even easier for Trevor, Bev and Dwight.

Unless an injury happens or DMo regresses, TJ is the odd man out. Where is Scola when you need him?!:)

He's not a failed project by any means, but his style doesn't fit like it used to. I do have to give him credit for that epic game 6 against Chrissy Paul and Flake Griffin. Without TJ and JSmoov, that would have been the end of us.

9. omgTHEpotential

Where did you read this?!

10. thekad

thekad Member

He hasn't heard anything.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt he did. Everything I've heard or read suggests that he's had no setbacks and should be ready to go by mid October which was the target date all along.

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

:confused:

What fancy words? I didn't mean to make you defensive about it. I actually agree that TJones has not proven to be a particularly good jumpshooter. I was just pointing out that it was impossible to draw any comparison from the videos you posted.

I'm sure there is some objective statistical evidence you could draw from.

13. dmoneybangbang

He's got handles for a PF, so he can more than "sort of dribble" for a PF. Just not sure what TJones you are watching, because TJones did get the ball at the elbow several times a game (pre leg nerve damage and collapsed lung) in the triple threat position and scores a high % at the rim

14. dmoneybangbang

It's amazing how blind some people can be. TJones isn't Milsap or Amare Stoudemire or Ryan Anderson, but he doesn't have to be. He's more than likely gone by the end of the season, but it's laughable at how low some people rate TJones.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Having "handles for a PF" means he can "sort of dribble", he's not some amazing ball handler and you shouldn't be trying to sell him as one. When it comes to his skill set translating to the actual games, he ends up being basically a guy who scores garbage baskets and in transition.

Sure he tries to face up or even post up on occasion, but usually with pretty poor results. His % at the rim is a direct result of him scoring in transition, putting back garbage, and scoring on open dunks and layups created by others. It's not hard to make an open dunk or layup....

I would argue that it's laughable how highly the last few Jones apologists rate him. It wouldn't even be a debate anymore if everyone had a more realistic view of what he brings.

He's not a shooter, he's not a playmaker, he's not a distributor. He's a poor man's Josh Smith sans the defense.

16. basketballholic

Dude can't knock down 50% on a series of 8-footers while being defended by dead air. His jump shot is a complete disaster. As it has been his entire career. His mechanics are awful. He has NO CHANCE to be a good jump shooter. And he's not going to improve until he rebuilds his mechanics. And because he hasn't even started rebuilding his mechanics through 2 seasons at Kentucky and 3 seasons with the Rockets it will take him a looooooooong time to rebuild them when and if he ever figures out he needs to do it.

This issue speaks to who Terrence is as a professional. Halfway through his 6th post high school off season and he still has the same broken jump shot that caused him to lose draft positioning from when he was recruited at Kentucky as top 5 prospect. He's pumped iron to get stronger. But he hasn't addressed his broken jump shot in 6 off seasons now. That tells you a lot about Terrence the professional.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Really. If saying something stupid 100 times isn't convincing, then repeating 600 times isn't gonna help

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I'm hoping at some point the last few people over hyping Jones will realize that no one is buying what they are selling and they'll just give up with it. Repeating the same flawed nonsense 600 times isn't going to make their case any more logically sound.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't think people are over-hyping him too much. They are more like disagreeing with you about him being as terrible as you and a couple others are making him out to be.

20. Ns575

Ns575 Member

Montrezl hasn't even been signed yet.

\unlock thread