1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Terrence Jones could be asking for $15M per year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigred77, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pretty soon everyone in the NBA will be making 15mil. Surprised Tjones isn't asking for max.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I could see him getting that. With the cap going way up and teams having tons of money to spend(and in some cases having to spend a lot of money), it's not crazy to think that some desperate ballclub will throw that much his way. Especially if he has a respectable season.

This is the main reason it sucked to lose Smith(well, that and him going to a Conference rival). It made Jones expendable. Now we can't really trade him during the season unless we find a replacement or Harrell emerges.

3. omgTHEpotential

Articles like these only elevate the perceived value of our PFs, which is a double-edged sword. On one side, it gives them more leverage to negotiate for a bigger contract, on the other side it raises their trade value. I'm really starting to think that Jones might get traded. I think DMo still a bit under the radar as as league executives are concerned, I might be wrong though.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, while we transition I would love to adopt a system where we refer to player salaries as X% of total cap space instead of the raw yearly total.

1 person likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The cap is going to blow up next summer. Guys are already getting that kind of money in anticipation of the new cap. Provided he stays on his current trajectory and isn't sidelined with injury again, I can see him getting $15m per a year from now.

As for extensions, no way either him or Motie get one, unless they sell themselves cheap (doubtful). I'm sure Morey is going to want to dip into the free agency bonanza next offseason, but it'll be the low capholds of those two guys that'll let him do that.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

why shocking .. I told you one or two months ago that he was looking for near max money....because he thinks he can grow into a 14 and 8 kind of player

which I guess he will in time, may it be on a contender or a bad team....

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

I believe the max for both will be right around 20m. I doubt Morey will extend either unless he can get a good deal.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Given the money that is going to be out there next Summer for them they would be stupid to take that extension now.

15 Mil a year seems like alot to Rockets fans who know Jones very well, and seeing as those most despise Jones on a very primitive and feral level. However on the open NBA market, if there is a need for just two teams to sign a young starter then you have a bidding war with open books & money to spend.

For D-Mo & Jones, I don't want to hear about numbers first when we (the fans) start trying to act like we understand value. I want to know their markets first in the fact that X, and Y team has a need for one or the other player.

Right now I could see just in the East -

-Orlando
    -Washington
    -Boston
    -Philly (with D-Mo especially)
    -Toronto
    -Detroit
    -Indiana

All having interest in acquiring a young PF building block, and they ALL are going to have significant money to spend in free agency next year bidding against each other.

In the West, there is a whole other set of teams I could list as well, but I think there is more opportunity in the East and more likely suitors. Wouldn't be shocked to see Toronto really be the strongest D-Mo suitor to pair up that Lithuanian front court.

YOU GUYS might not think Jones or even D-mo are worth that much to you, but in the open NBA market, both guys are going to get PAID.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

But yeah... actually according to our most trusted insider, Jones doesn't have a long term career in the NBA, and will be lucky to get a minimum contract, or a deal overseas.

I mean Casspi is the better player of course.

10. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

Demarre Carroll got that much.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

We are now in a world where DeMarre Carrol makes $15M and the basketball Reggie Jackson earns more than Mr. October.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I was just thinking how long before you-know-who chimes in and makes this thread unreadable?

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

BBholic and Bobbythegreat faint.:grin:

1 person likes this.
  14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Not surprising.

Will probably get it.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I could see DMo pulling 15M.... TJ is gonna top out at 12M... imo...

16. Fantasma Negro

I can see him getting 12 but with the new salary cap 15 might be what the going rate is for his ability. Chandler got 15, Reggie got 16, Dragic got 17. 8-12 makes sense but you just never know, Jones has a high ceiling and playing with Lawson is going to put the league on notice of his abilities.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Both Jones and D-Mo have more incentive to play better now. Especially Jones IMO.

This may prove to be beneficial to us, through better play and with better trade value for a bigger piece.

18. Fantasma Negro

He could get 15/yr in Portland...

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If Jones can take the next step, show he is going to reach his potential and be way more consistent, he can be a 15M/year type player.

Even though he has been pretty disappointing the past couple of playoffs, I still think he can be a very good player. He can easily be a 18/11 with 2 blocks player in this league.

But at his current state, he isn't worth anything more than 8M/year.

It's going to suck having both him and DMO as free agents next year and restricted ones at that. Each can command 10+M/year with the cap going up and not too many good free agents after KD, Howard and Horford.

20. izeroi

izeroi Member

15mil lmao!!!!