1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Zach Lowe Podcast] are Harden and Howard's games compatible?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Apr 25, 2014.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I got a fever... and the only prescription is more Lin!

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The idea that Howard and Harden aren't compatible is surprising to hear from Zach. Because it demonstrates a lack of understanding of matchups

The whole point of having them on the floor together is not just that they try to play off each other but to force the opposing team to put a set of 5 players on the floor that has to stop BOTH of these guys even if individually. So you have to put someone who can defend Howard but also close out on a driving Harden - meaning it takes multiple skill sets to play D.

Also, You are exploiting Harden's driving ability to enable Howard's offensive rebounding.

The problem is that Harden is stymied in a slump, not that they can't play together.

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Agreed, but I think this stems from the fact that they may be even more effiicent if they ran a 2 man pick and roll more often, as this has been one of the most effective plays that the Rockets run (not saying much, considering how thin the playbook is, but still...). So combine mix in the 2 man pick and roll with their iso games, and then you really have a potent offensive foundation that few teams defend. When each trip up the court is effectively only an iso play for Howard or Harden, defenses can rapidly adapt and with the right personnel (e.g. Portland), shut down the Rockets' offense.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Agree with your points about Harden's driving enable Howards offensive rebounding as well as both of them being on the floor requires opposing team to account for each of them. I'm sure Zach Lowe would agree with these points also. From what i gathered he said in the podcast, it wasn't so much a matter of their games not being able to complement each other but of their unwillingness to utilize the parts of their game that does.

The main issue Zach and Haberstroh were commenting on was Harden seemingly having an issue (and lack of interest) with the offense when its composed of Howard postup; And conversely Howard becoming disinterested in pick and rolls or whenever he does not get "enough" touches in the post.

If what Zach and Haberstroh says are true, then the problem isn't that their game isnt compatible, but that Harden and to a lesser extent Howard are letting their egos and immaturity get in the way of balancing the offense to the benefit of the team as well as each of them. Of course, Hardens/Howard frustration and disinterest in some situations/games may just be a few isolated instances and not a symptom of one resenting having the offense run through the other.

5. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

6. calcium

calcium Member

I seriously doubt Lowry would come back if McHale was still here.

I dont know if you remember what they were like together.
    Not harmonious.

And to add to this thread, I dont recall a game where both
    Harden and Howard played well.

So while it is possible that they can play well together, with the way they play now,
    it seems like for one to play well, the other has to pull back.
    ie. not possible for both to play well together (with the current style of playing).

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Did you watch the game last night?????????????????????

?

8. calcium

calcium Member

Am still "getting" the game so I can watch it later today :)

Even if they did play well last night, that would be the exception,
    rather than the rule.

Note that I am fans of both players, there is no hate here.

Just saying that in my opinion, the way they play their game
    currently, they are not fully compatible.

And I am hardly alone in this opinion.

Still, having said all that, I'd have them both on my team, if I had one.
    They both are special talents.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Watch the game first. Because if you did, I doubt you would have just wrote what you did.