1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Zach Lowe: "Loser: Houston Rockets"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If Morey can parlay this gut-punch into another move, whether it's a trade or an outright signing, I think we can all agree that things worked out BETTER in the long-term. With Bosh, the Rockets would be instant contenders for the title, but we'd be completely cash-strapped, and in an incredibly difficult position to improve outside of organic growth. This route gives us more flexibility and more options down the road. However, it really means nothing if we can't bring in more help for James and Dwight.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . next summer we have the assets and tools for a MAX player if we like . . . intriguing

Rocket River

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

catastrophic trade?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But we're losers and should have spent it on Parsons

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No, they are not treading water. The only way they come close to the 4th seed this season is if Harden and T-Jones have career years and Ariza gives the Rockets the same production as he did with the Wizards last season.

The problem is based on the moves the Rockets have made since passing on Parsons makes it clear they're not doing anything significant until 2015. They'll try to trade for a big name player at the deadline and if that doesn't pan out, make a run at one in the next offseason. If that doesn't work out either, it's onto 2016 and Durant.

In other words, just sub out Melo and Bosh for Love and Durant and you've got the Rockets' gameplan for the next 2 years. In the meantime though, they'll struggle to win 50 games and either wind up in the lottery or losing in the first round.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

We are really going to miss Chandler. His constant movement and ability to play the pick and roll were huge for us last year. I'm hoping we get another piece before the seasons starts because with just this, we are clearly worse than last year. Yikes.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The only issue with that is there really aren't any max worthy players going into next off-season. Aldridge is completely set on re-signing with the Blazers, and Love will most likely get dealt to a team he will re-up with. I think if we can't get our guy via trade, it would behoove us to wait until two off-seasons from now and go COMPLETELY all-in on Durant. In fact, I kind of hope Harden and Morey are already planting those seeds right now, much like Wade did with LeBron in 2007.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There are a bunch of players that can help us next summer. They might not be elite status but are very good nonetheless.

9. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Showtime Dorsey makes us winners

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

And if Durant resigns with OKC or doesn't want to come here? Then what? What if Dwight already punches his ticket out of here before we can even sign Durant? The Rockets front office seriously needs to stop fixating on future big name free agents who are more likely to sign elsewhere or possibly never even become free agents in the first place.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No. Lowe is one of, if not the best guys covering the NBA today. However, my point really was... who is the source of the information he's getting on this material about Harden & Howard's likability, etc., and the double standard of this type of thinking that is reported.

I find it hard to think of any player in the NBA that wouldn't actively recruit either Howard or Harden if they were in free agency. Hell even Kobe made an appearance for Dwight Howard.

Whatever the media is reporting or the information they are getting from players, coaches, & front office officials, I think its altered through the filter of the fans/other voices in the middle, etc.(telephone game) when it finally gets reported back out & the negative side is typically cherry picked out for a headline.

Anyone who just says "players hate playing with X star" isn't telling their full story on the subject. Why is that?... And even if you dont like playing with them, would you still want to play with them in order to win?? Every player in the NBA would want Harden or Howard on their team if it helped their basketball club, and helped them personally. I have to believe that if they are truly trying to win, and not just play pickup ball with their buddies.

12. archinkent

archinkent Member

At the moment, yes, we're considered losers since we got worst. But I am sure it will be different once the season starts.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I think that's what 'at least some if that factored in' means, particularly since Bosh didn't give a firm commitment and gave Riley time to Hail Mary. I don't believe Lowe is down playing how significant the contract offer from the Heat was.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Lowe is not saying that. In fact, he says the opposite -- he says signing Parsons would have been a panic move

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

*facebook thumbsup*

16. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Anyway Rockets organization deserves this, let's rebuild

17. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I'm kind of curious about that too. Would Lin have been moved to the starting line up if Parsons was gone?

18. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

So... next summer more players will use the Rockets to leverage their way into full MAX contracts. Again.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Lowe has done the most level headed article on this offseason for the Rockets. Great read.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Paying a 1st rounder to get rid of Lin with no backup PG in play may not be catastrophic but it's not a good move if you are not getting Bosh in return.