1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: HOU ditched early 90s logo cuz Les A. thought it had become synonymous with losing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 8, 2015.

1. dream2franchise

Since when was Zach Lowe an authority on this? Meh...mustn't take it too seriously.

It's lists like these that make me realise how bad most NBA logos are.

The Bulls logo could easily be refined with some tweaking to the wordmark and some nice highlighting but there's really no point.

Glad to read that Nike will be pushing for an overhaul on the OKC branding. No team needs it more.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm just tired of hearing references to other cities and their fans wanting or not wanting something and it gets done. This lets Les off the hook for the pajama blunder, but not for how long it took him to re-design the ketchup and mustard to make fans happy, and even then it was just an alternate.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ True, we are long overdue for a change. If Lowe is right that it takes about 2 years on average for a total redesign, it would be nice if someone with connections would be able to let us know if something is in the works.

Having said that, I think we should consider that Les has been responsible for the red-yellow alternates and the new ones coming up this year. in other words, it isn't a question of them ignoring our opinions. There is obviously another factor at work here.

4. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

This guy writes about basketball - have you wondered why you're reading this in September? Because there is the least basketball ever in September. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. :p

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I must be the only one who liked everything about the 'cartoon' logo, court and jerseys of the late 90's.

6. dream2franchise

Hence me saying "Meh, mustn't take this seriously". All good.

If there's no return to the old look, I wouldn't mind seeing the current R refined so it looks better at a smaller scale.

7. malakas

malakas Member

You can do it faster, in 8 months but you have more limited options in the colour of the jerseys etc. But we could have new jerseys and logos in next season no problem if they have started the process.

The Bulls logo the best? Really? :rolleyes:

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Does this have anything to do with Le$ and his $$$???

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't give a crap if they ever change the logo. The new one will be just as bad, and people will complain about it just as much. It's a waste of time.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It depends on your preference for PJ's, because that's what those jerseys basically were. If you like pinstripes on PJ's, you would love those. Otherwise, they looked like crap.

11. pippsux

pippsux Member

So why did they change to the pyjamas right after winning said championships????? I almost cried when Drexler modelled those hedious monstrosity....legends like dream pip and Barkley looked turrible in them.

P.S. when are we changing our Yao Ming era jerseys?

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

looks like a soccer logo

13. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Change the Rockets name to

B.C. Houston

I like it.

14. TheresTheDagger

Really like Toronto's logo

[​IMG]

Black, red, and gray as primary colors with white lettering perfect font. Fantastic.

And the clever way they incorporate the Raptor claw with the basketball makes this my favorite logo.

15. PJ86

PJ86 Member

That raptors logo could've been so much better if it was just the ball with the claw and most importantly, not have the claws connected to the lines. Now it looks like a witch's nails.

16. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think it's actually claws...

I think it's supposed to look like the ball was ripped open.

17. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Really? Possible double, but it's definitely the 3 fingered claw they have been using for the old logo.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yep. That's correct. It's alright as a logo. I'm actually okay with going along with the roundel trend for the Rockets. The 'R' can be kept inside a roundel design.

19. malakas

malakas Member

it's a watermelon.
    [​IMG]

20. bmd

bmd Member

Yeah, I think it's supposed to look like raptor claws ripped the ball open... but the actual claws aren't shown.

Somebody did a mock-up with the claws shown:

[​IMG]