1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Dallas' offense straight murdering defenses

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

We are leading the league in opponent 3pt % at 27%. I don't think it's much of a fluke that Dallas missed so many shots last night.

2. VBG

VBG Member

Opponent 3pt% isn't really a very stable stat. It fluctuates a lot season to season and during parts of the season too.

And 27% is still quite different from 17% which is what they shot yesterday. It's about a 3 3's difference.

Dallas really does have an awesome offense. You can't base it off one game. I don't think it is historically great but it should be a top 3 offense this year at worst.

3. baubo

baubo Member

Opponents this year averages 27% from 3pt line against us this year. It's this thing called "defense."

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ariza is the 3pt stopper.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you should probably turn off sig view.

just a tip

6. heypartner

well, maybe our OPP 3% is trending downwards now, and we are actually better than 27%? see how that logic works?

are you actually trying to say that Dallas should have won? And we didn't even have Howard?

btw: we shot 2 - 25 on 3s in the second half. Or thereabouts.

7. VBG

VBG Member

The best 3 point defense last year was at 33.4%. The worst was 38.2%.

27% just won't be sustainable. Not even close.

It's this thing called small sample size and random luck.

8. VBG

VBG Member

We are 6% better than any team last year from 3point land. That's the difference between the best and worst 3 point defenses last year.

I'm sorry that's not sustainable at all in the long run.

I have no idea what this Dallas should have won or Dwight came from. I'm just talking about the Dallas offense. But yeah, I would say Dallas is definitely better than a Rockets team without Dwight.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Big difference. The Rockets went cold in the 2nd half after a scorching hot shooting in the first half. The Mavs were pretty cold all game, even considering the defense (which was overall very good).

In any case, all I am saying is that this game does not spell doom on the Mavs run at being the top offensive team in the NBA. Even great offenses misfire some games and DAL is fresh off thrashing the Lakers.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Phh, that's two things!

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Or maybe....just maybe....the Mavs stats really are inflated from playing bad teams. Then when they play playoff teams, the fall back down to earth.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

The Rockets won this game but I see a Dallas team that's going to make a deep run in the playoffs. Dirk was off last night. Their defense is legit as they don't lose much of it when Tyson Chandler is out. his backup has a big affect on opponent shots.

the rockets play ugly ass ball. it's basically iso with Harden when Dwight is out. our bench is freakin weak. i see another first round exit this year.

notice how the Mavs players move without the ball. that creates open dunks and shots. once harden touches the ball, everyone else just sets up shop at the three point line. it's FUGLY.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rockets defend 3's like Watt swats passes.

Just accept that we're better than the historical norm.

Outliers are a thing, you know.

14. VBG

VBG Member

Ok. Tipjar bet against any of you guys that the Rockets 3 point % against is over 31% by the end of the season.

15. heypartner

We are talking about Dallas. I will bet right now that Dallas will shoot less than 31% from 3 against us.

Do you want that bet? That's all we are saying.

You're the one trying to say that Dallas had a bad game, when we shot 2-25 from 3s in the second half too, or thereabouts.

16. kemah

kemah Member

I have watched several Mavs games this year and they can score but their defense has sucked. Kind of like in Houston when Parsons is a dedicated 3rd or 4th option Dallas is good at offense. Unfortunately Parsons sucks at defense as he gets overpowered and has not the skills to do anything to stop except put a hand in their face and maybe whisper sweet nothings in their ear also.

Well as we saw last night the value of a Ariza and of a Parsons and I find that Morey done good...again.

17. VBG

VBG Member

The Rockets were on fire in the first half. They still shot 32.6% which isn't great but is reasonable.

I'll take the over 31% on average in the next 3 Rockets - Mavs matchups.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wrong thread

19. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's amazing as usual that our fans do not want to credit our defense, but want to give all the credit in the world to the Mavericks offense. So Dallas just had an "off night", sure :rolleyes:. Ignore the fact that we missed about 11 WIDE OPEN 3's. There's nothing off about that though, right?

Some of you should look into joining a Mavericks board. Or perhaps a "I'm a Rockets fans that hates the current Houston Rockets" board

20. VBG

VBG Member

Or you could be realistic and look at the larger picture.

Because if you want to react to one game, we're clearly worse than the Lakers? The Lakers historically bad defense shut us down.