1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Dallas' offense straight murdering defenses

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 18, 2014.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And Dallas barely beat some bad teams this year as well, I don't get the point?

Dallas barely beat the Celtics? The Grizzlies barely beat that same Thunder team?

So again, I don't see the point. If we are going to take so much out of every regular season game then it's going to be a up and down roller coaster of an analysis.

Teams will play good for stretches and bad for stretches. When the Rockets played bad, they had a defense they could rely on (something they didn't have last year) to win games they probably shouldn't have.

SoS is skewed because we playd the Lakers who are 1-9 and the Sixers who are 0-10 and we played the Sixers twice. The rest of the teams we played are average at best or even playoff teams like the Heat, Warriors, and Spurs.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It looks like a date rape awareness poster.

3. hakeemthagreat

They Mavs are better. Not because of their player personel, but because they are a better ran team than we are. We are completely once dimensional. If we're not hitting 3's everything falls apart. It would be nice to see us run some plays to get other guys open every once in awhile:rolleyes:

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If this was in the middle of the season, a sting of 3 bad games can be dismissed as just a cold stretch, AND we could say that we were happy to just have lost one game. But this is the beginning of the season. We have no way to know whether this is just a cold stretch or is a trend.

I said earlier in another thread, I would wait and see more before I could say whether we should be worried. But to dismiss this as just a cold stretch is as irrational as to say that the sky is falling. That fact is, we have been playing some weak opponents. And when we played real challenging teams (Heat, Warriors, Grizzlies) we were 1-2.

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

Granted PER has its deficiencies, Dallas has 3 players in the top 10 of PER (Wright, Dirk, Tyson Chandler). Barea is in the top 30. So far their championship reunion plan is working.

Imagine that, a team with an assist/turnover ratio greater than 1.00

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

1-2?

So you discount the Spurs game but then count the Warriors game?

I'm dismissing it as a cold streak because we have played more good games than bad. That's simply how I see it. The Rockets up to this point have been more good than bad. Team played 4 games in 6 days, could have something to do with their recent play as well.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Man, the GARM is going to be a complete trainwreck if we lose to Dallas on Saturday.

DAL does have to play the Lakers at home on Friday, so maybe that helps us? It's the Lakers so... not really

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

It's definitely a 3pt cold streak. Currently our 3pt FG% is about 35% on average.

If we shot our average vs the 76ers, we win by 16 points instead of 1 point.

If we shot our average vs the Thunder, we win by 19 points instead of 3 points.

If we shot our average vs the Grizzlies, we lose by 14 points instead of 26 points (far more respectful for a 2nd game of a b2b).

9. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

The Mavs will be on the 2nd night of back to backs on all 4 of their Rockets games this season. In fact, 3 out of those 4 games will have the Mavs playing their 4th game in 3 nights.

Meanwhile, the Rockets will have at least 1 day's rest prior to each of their 4 Mav games. In other words, the schedule makers have stacked the odds in the Rockets' favor.

1 person likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The only thing that concerns me about Dallas is that they have a good coach. We have some obvious holes in our lineup at the 4 and the 1 (big surprise!!) and a problem with depth, but assuming everyone's healthy, I'd take our guys over their guys in a New York minute. Oh, and Parsons is an *******. Wanted to be sure and include that thought in my post if the topic is related to the Mavs.

11. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

For the first time in a LONG time.

12. VBG

VBG Member

I don't understand this point. By the same token we were insanely, unsustainably hot through the first few games of the season. You can't just inflate 3 games of bad shooting without deflating some games of good shooting.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Ariza's defense will straight murder Parsons' offense

Beverley's defense will straight murder Nelson/Fatton's offense

Harden's offense will straight murder Monta Ellis' 6 fouls

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So the ROX are the antithesis of the Mavs? Great on D but horrible on O?

15. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Not really. Mavs are average on D and historically hot on offense. Doubt either lasts, but that's where they are right now.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Our sos is not 29th in the league according to the article that was posted in the "can Rockets and Grizzlies stay atop the west" thread yesterday. So I'm not sure where everyone is getting that number.

17. NotChandlerParsons

According to Bref it's 27 right now. Probably was 29 at one point.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Spurs were without Duncan and Ginobili. Don't remember? Even if you count them, it's .500 against teams with winning records, hardly reassuring to me.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

27th, not 29th, according basketball-reference:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2015.html

It was lower before we played Memphis yesterday.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member