1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Zach Lowe] Chander Parsons and Houston’s Game of Dominoes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets1994, Jun 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We will know on July 1st.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Even in that scenario, the problem for the "offering team" trying to block the Rockets is the moratorium. Parsons can agree to an offer, but in terms of changing his cap hold (Lowe's theory), it has no impact until he actually signs it, which can't come until around July 10. That should give the Rockets plenty of time to finalize whatever else they're working on (Lin/Asik trades, Carmelo, etc.) beforehand.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's going to be a long wait until July...

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is only 3 weeks until draft night. That might tell us something right there.

5. valorita

valorita Member

Only one thing wrong with the carmelo aquisition and parsons resigning... Are we going the Magic route with dwight and 4 shooters?

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Appears that way on paper but I hope Morey upgrades the point.

7. SemisolidSnake

That article (assuming it's mostly accurate) was one of the most understandable and complete explanations of a highly complicated scenario I've ever read. Good job, Zach Lowe.

I also like how our completely normal, nonthreatening-looking GM strikes so much fear into the rest of the league that the article talks about other teams making $40 million deals just to spite us. I was at the Dwight welcome rally. I think Morey may have gotten a louder cheer than Hakeem. It's fun having such a force to be reckoned with running the show.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

True, he did a good job. Definitely requires a skill to do what he did with that article. He should probably consider freelance O&G Technical Writing.

9. SemisolidSnake

Well, if we could sign Carmelo, that would give us a consistent shooting threat on the floor that would have to be guarded by the other team. Floor is spread more so Dwight can work the post with more space and less chance of a double team. Chandler and James could spend less time shooting, where they're both good but still unpredictable, and focus more on driving to the basket, which is the best part of both of their games.

I'd call it a combination of Dwight (post and center offense), primary shooter (Melo), two slashers/secondary shooters (James and Chandler), and point (whatever we do there, no idea). Could that many dominant offensive presences share the floor effectively? No idea, but I do like the idea of having a scary shooter on the floor every night as part of the offense.

10. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Lowe also left out the part about Texas having no state income tax. This brings the value of a contract up some in Texas.

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If we somehow get another star this offseason, that will be the third consecutive year in which it's happened. Far cry from when we were chasing even one. I didn't even think we'd get Dwight.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

After the July 10th, a verbal agreement can cause a cap hold to increase to the amount of the verbal agreement if the Rockets and/or Parsons can't keep their mouth shut. I completely expect Cuban to try to get Parsons on tape saying he has an agreement with Rockets if the Rockets haven't already acquired the third star.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I have a feeling Melo, along with almost all other major free agents, will have made their decisions by the 10th. The dominoes will all have fallen by that point.

14. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Sign and trade Parsons, Jones, pick for Dirk.. Use MLE to bring in Deng or Ariza..

15. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Dirk???? I hope you are joking man... :rolleyes:

16. anchel

anchel Member

17. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

Dirk aint going anywhere but Dallas.

It does sound promising re Chandy with a wink wink agreement. No way we trade him after his recruitment of Dwight.

18. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Pretty much and that team was able to beat Lebron and get to the finals. But this time, Dwight will be surround by 2 superstar, who can do things that his Magic teammate would never dream of. No one on that Magic team can play make, get foul calls and drive to the basket as well as Harden. And that Magic team did not have an elite spot up shooter than can take people on the post as well as Melo.

Even if Dwight isn't the Dwight from the Magic, a team with Howard, Harden and Melo is killer.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think these two paragraphs are the key to understanding the rockets summer plans:

A) RFA's usually have to wait a bit for offers to come in, as per the first paragraph. this window will allow the rockets to use their cap space to sign melo

B) as per the second paragraph, parsons may be in on the plan to lure melo, then sign for a big raise.

C) signing melo is also a matter of timing since we would have to trade asik/lin first. gets deals in place first, and only submit the paperwork IF melo signs. if he does, submit the paperwork for the trades to the league office first, wait a day, submit melo's signed contract to the league office. if melo doesn't sign, call those other teams and tell them the deal is off.

D) last thought, dumping lin for cap space is a good move with or without melo. that trade should be done asap. we could use that cap space on lowry, or to build a bench with guys like sefalosha, hinrich, and meeks. those 3 (or guys like them) would be way better than lin alone, for the same price.

my prediction for the timeline of this offseason:

1- lin, montijunas, #25, $3M cash traded to toronto. they would cash in with a large asian population, plus they would like the draft pick and monti to help rebuild, and a replacement if lowry leaves. cash to help afford lin.

2-agree in principal to trade asik to phily for their own second round picks in 2015 and '16. we won't earn a first for him when teams know we need to dump salary. phily needs a center and hinkie is high on omer. plus phily has more draft picks in the next 3 years than roster spots. win-win

3-melo agrees to sign, pull trigger on asik trade... then officially S&T for melo, sending non-guaranteed contracts like casspi/powell/covington to allow melo to earn the max without costing the knicks anything. sprinkle in a future first as a 'thanks for doing business.' the knicks have no picks, so they'll like that.

4-use leverage of matching any offer to force a team to S&T for parsons. say orlando or cleveland, or some team in the east (rockets wouldn't trade him to the west) that has cap and needs a SF. tell them we want a pick that can only be conveyed if between picks 10-14 (similar to lowry trade) or we match the offer.

5-MLE on sefalosha, LLE on hinrich, vet min on kenyon martin and okafor or steimsma.

dwight-okafor
    TJ-martin
    melo-sefalosha
    harden-daniels
    bev-hinrich

top 5 offense and defense. 64 wins. championship.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Why trade Parsons for a late lotto pick? I think the wink wink is Parsons will receive an offer from someone he'll tell Morey and then wait for the Melo signing. Parsons then signs the offer and Morey matches.

I believe you still get the MLE after that correct? Use it on a wing like Ariza and then sign Okafor or someone similar to a vet minimum contract.

Bev/Cannan
    Harden/Daniels
    Parsons/Ariza
    Melo/Jones
    Howard/Okafor

Good depth along with your big 3.5:grin: