1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yulieski Gurriel agrees to 5/$47M deal with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This. He doesn't walk nearly enough.

Still a good player. Happy to have him.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He may have a case as our 4th best hitter but even 7th or 8th best on this team is hardly a knock. It seems like we got a winner on that contract.

3. Buck Turgidson

I get what you're saying.

Moises Alou was a better "hitter" than Bagwell and Biggio for a couple/few years back in the day; most of the time not a better offensive player, but a better "hitter".

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I tried to add a gif to this but i can't for some reason

#744 Tomstro, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    msn likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Moises is a better hitter and offensive player than Craig.

Biggio is better overall due to defensive versatility and longevity.

Alou is easier to replace.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Gurriel is so underrated. Folks forget prior to last season he took a year off from baseball.

Their is an adjustment period.

adw likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He hasn't walked since June 5th LOL. He's been hit by a pitch more than he has walked.

You can't walk off the island, he took that message to heart

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  8. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

And since the last time he has walked, he has hit .344/.352/.582. If he keeps hitting like that, I could care less if he ever walks again

texans1095, adw, vince and 3 others like this.
  9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Gurriel never seems happy or comfortable. Maybe its just his normal demeanor.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Moises Alou hit over .350 for us one year and had an OPS over 1.000. As an Astro he hit .331/.403/.585.

Most of the time Alou was a better offensive player than Biggio. Only Bagwell or Berkman were on Alou's level offensively.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I've been worried since his 1st couple of months that he was unhappy. He is likely frustrated not being the best player in his league as he was for the last decade of his career. I also am worried that the last 40 games and playoffs are going to be rough on him as he's not used to playing this many games in a year.

12. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

How the hell did i walk in to a moises alou thread?

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FIFY

And yes, results are results. If he's gonna keep hitting .310 with some pop he never has to walk, but that is a tough way to live.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

How is that even possible? If I were a pitcher, I would just throw him balls and make him strikeout swinging at junk, hit some pitch way out of the zone, or see if he'll actually take a walk. Why would you ever throw him a strike?

15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It's not a bad idea, but he finds a way to hit balls that are out of the zone anyway (especially low in the zone)

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Man, I really think you're overthinking this. Unless I'm missing them, there are no signs of him being disgruntled or unhappy. He's always waiting in the dugout to congratulate his teammates and he seems to really like his niche as the dude with funny hair. His social media is overwhelmingly positive and his play has completely eliminated any of the "Astros need a 1B" trade chatter.

We all need to remember he's a decade older than Correa. Do we judge McCann or Beltran for not dancing around in the dugout or having goofy handshakes with teammates? I love having young guys and the energy they bring, but we can't expect a 33 year old to act like he's 23.

17. STR8Thugg

Where is this coming from...???

texans1095 likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

Certainly true - but if he keeps doing that, you keep throwing further and further out of the zone. Pitchers should keep pushing the limits to see how willing he is to swing at everything. Worst case, they walk a guy who's batting 0.340 anyway, so it's not really much of a loss.

verse likes this.
  19. STR8Thugg

I don't think it's him having a bad eye or refusing to walk. He's just a free swinger. A lot of caribbean players have a tendency to swinging away when they first come up bc they feel a huge pressure to prove themselves. Vlad Guerrero once talked about that I believe.

Either way, he's been supremely clutch and he's killing the baseball right now so I couldn't care less about his walk rate :)

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Dude, what???? How do some of you gather that he's unhappy?? He's literally joking around with teammates ALL THE TIME. They love him and his hair......he's part of the core of this team. And let's not forget, he's been one of the best hitters in baseball the last couple of months. He's been on absolute fire. NOTHING about his demeanor suggests he's unhappy......I know overthinking is a "thing", but damn this one takes the cake.