1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yulieski Gurriel agrees to 5/$47M deal with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Wait, what?... Bagwell hardly played in '05 and retired the spring after their World Series appearance. Did you maybe confuse him and Biggio? Biggio - it could be argued - dragged the team down so he could selfishly chase 3,000 hits.

Bagwell was a class act, player-wise, throughout his career.

awc713 and Joshfast like this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This....is not accurate at all. Bagwell did nothing to mess up team chemistry. It's obvious that they could not get over the post-season hump themselves, but from all accounts, they were fabulous in the locker room. Biggio extended his stay past being productive, but I can also understand why. 3000 hits is no joke, and if that's in realistic sight of any player, I'd say go for it. Much like the Lakers gave Kobe a farewell tour last season, the Astros did that for Biggio. I have no issues with it.

awc713 and Joshfast like this.
  3. macho87

macho87 Member

Bagwell didn't mess up team chemistry but he was washed up. Couldn't hit or throw and was keeping berkman's fat ass in the outfield

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bagwell could always hit. When he was done in 2005, he was used primarily as a pinch hitter and spent most of the season on the DL.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No. No, no, no... In 2004, Bagwell's last full year, he posted a 116 OPS+ and 3.7 WAR. He was still a very productive everyday player.

In 2005, he totaled 24 games at 1B and wasn't keeping anyone from doing anything.

6. Buck Turgidson

I bet none of you remember the one-arm oppo single Bagwell hit....

7. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I actually do. I think it was on or around my birthday, and I was there live. It was glorious, and that walk-off was freaking awesome.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Fyreball

I do. His walk-off actually put tears in my eyes. Poetic moment for a guy who had meant so much to this team, but couldn't ever get it done in the clutch.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bagwell got it done in the clutch plenty in his career. He did have his struggles in the 97-99 postseasons, but unfair to say he didn't get it done in the clutch. Hell, in game 6 of the NLCS in 2004 he had a game tying single with 2 outs in the 9th. What it could have done for his legacy if we could have pulled that one off and gone on to win the WS.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Anything new on Lourdes???

dockerland likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The recent reports on Lourdes have been pretty pessimistic, future value wise. Don't think this is a big miss at all.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Well...damn

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. Nook

Nook Member

Lourdes is vastly overrated IMO.

The Blue Jays have had some success in the international signing market, so perhaps they see something that I don't see.

If the Astros wanted him, they would have gotten him.... his deal is only $22,500,000 over 7 years.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, he isn't a bad prospect. He can do somethings well but I don't think it is likely that he will be a real difference maker.

He is already 23 years old, and isn't an especially talented hitter. He has struggled for the most part in the Cuban league but did start to show life 2014, but mostly with his ability to draw walks. His number in the Cuban League in 2015 are tempered for me because by that time a lot of the talent in Cuba had been severely diluted and he was facing guys that would normally be in the very low minors.

I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion, but I know that there are some that think his glove isn't all that special and he doesn't steal bases or run as well as he should.

If he develops power, then he could be an all star.... otherwise he has a real Jose Offerman feel to me.

17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Damn. Cheap deal. I would have taken the risk.

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Next MarWin González!!!

Rodman23 likes this.
  20. Fyreball

Sucks that we didn't land him, but not devastating. We have more pressing needs to fill, and if we truly are making a jump in payroll, I'd rather we appropriate our funds towards starting pitching and 1B/DH. Addressing those positions will directly contribute to our World Series chase. Gurriel would have been a nice signing, but it's hard to say how big of an impact he would have had on a team that already has Correa and Bregman.