1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yukon Huang: Debunking Myths About China's Economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Dec 11, 2017.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

These are just educated guesses about the future, it will be good to revisit in five ten years if we are still around.

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Not sure why some of yall are so sensitive if it seems China has their **** together or not.

I personally thought petition to central government to remove "local authorities" for corruption as a uniquely Chinese way of thinking, as American it's the exact opposite (appeal to local authorities to fight against oppressive federal).

I have similar thoughts/views of US ability to perform long term planning as we now see with Trump reversing everything Obama did.

Anyways, if the only takeaway that you critics have of the video is that it's just some Chinese propaganda, then I guess there won't be much discussion on the content of the video.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I really don't think that half of Americans believe that China is the leading economic power in the world.

4. pirc1

If you studied Chinese history, you would know why that is the case. Central government maybe corrupt, but many times the local government are much more corrupt, at least in the view of locals.

Think of it this way, if Cheney is helping Halliburton get huge contracts, does it really affect you personally? However, if your local city mayor is going to build a road through your front yard and not pay for it, are you pissed off?

5. pirc1

I think he is sighting pew research surveys, it is not the absolute percentage that matters but the shift of the percentage over time that is the telling story.

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Right, but that's solely because historically your local government was assigned to your province vs being an elected official who lives there as well.
    And then you have those bad officials being moved from a better area to a remote area.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Ahh this again.

A bunch of thin skinned Chinese with a deep rooted inferiority complex will white knight and tell everyone how incredible China is..... even though China is light years behind the USA and Western Europe.

It is so predictable.

8. Nook

Nook Member

In the 1970's there was a shift post Vietnam to many American's viewing the USSR as the economic power.

In the 1980's there was a shift to many American's viewing Japan as the economic power.

In the early 2000's there was a shift to many American's viewing the EU and Western Europe as the economic power.

It isn't anything new or unique.

9. pirc1

All true, that is why I said the only way to verify is to see in the future if this view still holds.

Nook likes this.
  10. adoo

adoo Member

it's more than that, Morgan Stanley is acting on its extensive research on China,

spending the $/effort to develop financial products, catering to the Chinese nationals,
    as well as investors from abroad.​

MS is a publicly traded co in the US, it reports its business results / development on a quarterly basis; you just keep on
    monitoring relevant metrics/trends to see how MS is doing in China, such as the # of funds created, AUM data, etc.

Starbucks shares the same economic vision as MS, it announced plans to increase its store count to China to 5,000 by 2021,
    which will require opening an average of a dozen stores each week to achieve.

11. pirc1

Morgan's prediction are still educated guesses, just like people from WSJ can make the opposite predictions, the only way to see how things will turn out is time.

12. adoo

adoo Member

ur confused.

WSJ is not acting on its research, which MS has; so too have pubicly-traded co such as GM. TESLA, FORD, VW. YUM / KFC, McDonalds, STARBUCKS, APPLE, BOEING, AirBus, CocaCola, etc.

these publicly-traded co report on their financial results/development on a quarterly basis, so that their shareholder can monitor their financial performance (including their China operations)

WSJ has no stake in the game, ergo, for it, it's just an educated guess..

publicly-traded co above have acted on their extensive research, committing lots of $ towards achieving the economic objective.
    their stock price, empoyees' job/ bonus are on the line.

#52 adoo, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  13. pirc1

I am not saying their predictions are right or wrong. They are bullish on China because they made prediction based on the data they have, but predictions are just educated guesses, especially if you extend out beyond the near future, that is all I am saying. Time will prove or disprove everything.

14. adoo

adoo Member

don't equate the research conducted by MS with WSJ's

for WSJ, because, they've no stake in the game, it's just an educated guess.

the opposite is true for MS and other publicly-traded co who have acted upon their extensive research on China

15. adoo

adoo Member

yet another evidence-free convenient claim by someone who lives in a cave

16. Nook

Nook Member

So what?

I don't think that anyone thinks that China is Afghanistan.

It really isn't relevant.

I have lived all over the world, I have several post graduate degrees from very well thought of universities. I have spent substantial time in China, USA, UK and Germany.

Further, the opinion of a thin skinned Chinese nation that has an inferiority complex really doesn't hold much weight. No one is saying that China is going to slip back to the disaster that was Mao's China. However it is a very vulnerable economy with a lot of social/hygiene issues and is not close to being on par with Western Europe, USA or Canada. That may change in 100 years; but it wont anytime soon.

Have fun fighting paper windmills.

17. adoo

adoo Member

so what ?

so, despite ur claim of holding several grad degrees.

u've shown that it is beyond ur mental capacity to understand the economic developments in China​

#57 adoo, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    LabMouse likes this.
  18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The predication on China should not only based on the data, the culture is a more important factor too. There are lots of rich people in China, but many poor people too. China is learning everything from US each day. No one knows the next.

19. adoo

adoo Member

name me a country where that is not the case.

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Switzerland for sure. Some more, but I did not live there before, so I can not be sure.