1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ysr1560] Bill Worrell - Let the Roster Settle First for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H-TOWNSFINEST, Jul 15, 2013.

1. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Good interview from Bill. Some interesting tidbits..

- Compared Patrick Beverley to Mario Elie
    - Says this is the best chemistry he's seen on a team since the Rockets Championship roster
    - Talks about how Rudy's Rockets used to leave town in the summer for a mini-camp like the current team is now
    - Talks about how Chandler Parsons 'gets it' in the NBA.. some guys get paid and they're content but Parsons wants to win
    - Says the Rally the other day was the most excited the city has been since the Rockets got Ralph Sampson then Hakeem the next year

Gotta love Bill. Enjoy!

http://www.ysr1560.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/071513-Bill-Worrell-Interview.mp3

1 person likes this.
  2. hooroo

hooroo Member

All this talk about Bev lately... Are the Rockets seeing him take over the starting PG role sometime this season?

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

He doesn't have to start to be a force. Remember Sam Cassell's role.

4. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

I think that hinges on who ends up shooting a better % from 3

It's still Lin's job to lose though

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, Ellie was a bench player for us until the 95 finals IIRC. Maybe this implies that the Rockets will go to the finals, and there unveil their small ball lineup with Lin/Beverley/Harden/Parsons/Howard?

6. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Mario Elie's Kiss of Death was one of the best sports related moments in my life.

7. Dedicatedrocket

Said lin is improving shot. can not wait to see that

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Worrell: "We're getting great reports on Jeremy Lin"

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Great interview. We need more exposure to Bill Worrell. Rockets need to plug him more.

Good stuff on Chandler and Beverley. Young guys who "get it", are fun to be around, and are good teammates. I like it.

10. newAge_Rockets

I'm betting on Lin next year to be a really good shooter, he has to be if he wants to keep his job.

11. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Lin's biggest mistake was shooting the 3 ball last year for the few couple months at the beginning of the season when he was coming off knee surgery, and shooting with his foot on the line...had he cut this out, he would have been a 38% 3pt shooter last year.

12. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I love hearing Bill's take. I understand that he is paid to be a cheerleader for the Rockets and Houston, but I feel his love for the city is genuine. I liked his comment about not forgetting Ralph Sampson and his importance in the big man legacy.

Regarding the roster, I appreciate how them and says we should now give them time to work out the kinks and allow them to get used to each other's games, but today when asked if this roster was the final product for a championship winning team, his tone was not convincing. He said he requires Parsons' game to improve, Lin to shoot better, and have our other role players really take their 3-pt shooting roles sincerely, in order for us to win. All with a positive spin of course. He didn't mention Reggie Williams & Omri Casspi, I guess he doesn't know enough about them yet (expectedly) to be convinced that we have a reliable set of role players.

13. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Always enjoy hearing from Worrell. Dude bleeds Rocket Red.

14. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

That lineup will be killer. I can see it already. And then you can swap out Lin for Garcia anytime, and it will be just as effective, if not more so. Will probably be our finishing lineup for a lot of games.

15. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill Worrell is great. The dude is one of the most loyal and legendary dudes in Rockets history. We're lucky to have him.

16. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

good interview , cant wait for the coming season . Dwight, Asik, Parsons ,Harden ,Lin, Beverly ,Dmo ,Tjones ,Garcia and the rookies I see a special season.

17. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Bill said everybody doubted Jeremy his whole career but he keeps coming back.

Very complimentary of Jlin's pick and roll and scoring in the paint stat...#3 in the whole NBA.

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i posted this somewhere else but Jeremy Lin has been practicing his threes
    [​IMG]

he and his brother had a good session

19. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

let the roster settle...wise words

20. bongman

bongman Member

Not sure if Parson qualifies as getting paid. I always though that term was reserved for players who is received a hefty contract.