1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[youtube] The Rise Of Jeremy Lin Trailer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Robjos, Aug 1, 2012.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

So what does Goran's ability to run the floor tell you? That he is athletic or not athletic. Like I am totally lost on the point that you are trying to make.

2. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

the term athleticism includes durability... I did say it in the beginning the reason I think lin is not athletic enough is becasue he can't sustain his performance for an long period of time. I said "goran" is better than lin in this area because he "always" runs the floor and is able to "maintain" at a good speed...

3. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

And you can say this highligh makes it looks like lin > kobe too. of course it doesn't mean that.
    =__=

4. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

That must be why "at the time [Lin] was shut down [this past season] ... [his] PER in fourth quarters was a whopping 33.5 ... behind only the Clippers' Chris Paul (37.2)." (Source)

5. onreego

onreego Member

Durability and athleticism are two different things. Again, I'll use McGrady as an example. An extremely athletic player but was always injured due to hip, back or knee. This deals with proper training and conditioning, which McGrady was never good at.

If you are saying Lin lacks the overall body to sustain an NBA season because he is Asian, then that has nothing to do with his athleticism.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

I was confused by your initial post to be honest with you. I am operating under the premise that by durability you mean a) ability to stay healthy b) ability to maintain performance over an NBA season. According to this, I would say you are over exaggerating the relationship of durability to athleticism to be honest. Durability has more to do with conditioning and if your body is able to physically sustain the rigours of a NBA season. See Andre Miller and Steve Nash. Some guys bodies can handle it some bodies cannot but I don't see where athleticism becomes a factor. At that point it comes down to genetics and also luck as well. Injuries happen despite an athletes efforts to avoid it, some are luckier than others. In regards to B,
    I would say it is a little premature to deduce whether he can or cannot maintain his performance for a long time considering that Lin has started in 25 games and has played a total of 60 NBA games and goran has played in 200+ games. I already stated that going from 0 to 35+ minutes overnight, from the end of the bench to the starting pg will cause conditioning issues for any person. Kyrie Irving himself even said that he had problems getting used to the pace of the NBA and Irving was fully aware that he would be starting. It would make more sense to wait and see how he performs next year since he has a off season to actually prepare like the starting pg in the NBA would prepare. Finally, it was already proven that his athleticism is on par with Wall and Irving so I really don't see how your argument that he isn't athletic enough has any factual basis.

1 person likes this.
  7. pantheon13

pantheon13 Member

Looking forward to watching him lead our team next year. He is capable of great things.

8. roxxy

roxxy Member

Cheuklau is right though. In his first few games he was tired towards the end of games. Going from 0 to 35+ minutes overnight is the reason for that. After a while his body conditioned itself.

9. mrchuckles

mrchuckles Member

The ironic thing is this past February, the folks on the RealGM boards were laughing at you guys here over the Knicks' draft pick that the Rockets owned. Pre-Linsanity, you guys were high-fiving because the pick was getting higher, but then Linsanity struck and there was weeping and gnashing of teeth. But what comes around, goes around. Amusing.

10. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Last year was a super small sample size, but kid does have smarts, size for a PG, and now Yao Ming presumably to give him advice. Lin to DMo does not sound exciting, but man Dwight and Lin on pick and roll would be AMAZING.

11. CoolColJ

CoolColJ Member

LOL, Blake shafted his knee twice already - ie he's not durable/athletic..... :p

Lin to Jefferies doesn't sound exciting either, but it was still fun to watch anyway, because Lin made Jefferies do things other PG did not :)

12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Because he's asian that he doesn't have the strength? You're an idiot. Lin is does have the athleticism and strength to excel. He's 6'3 and 200 lbs with the nice quick first step and the ability to get to the rim.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Just because Dragic always takes off doesn't mean he's more athletic than Lin. By reading most of your post on this thread I don't take you seriously and neither do I respect you.

14. formido

formido Member

Lin has always been athletic. There was an article when he was in college a few years ago showing that, among guards, only John Wall had more dunks. Here's Lin dunking against UConn, in traffic, two hands off one foot, with less than a minute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LLuqpfAhc

Last year he trained with these guys:

http://www.spartascience.com/

And he got much stronger and more athletic. He gained 15 lbs of muscle in 2 1/2 months, increased his standing vert 3.5 inches and his lateral quickness 30%. I've been studying sports science for a long time and I ended up reading all their blogs. They know what they're about. He's training with them right now to maintain his power output for the length of NBA games and throughout the season. I think he'll be good.

15. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

LIN plus HOU with no stars = a lot of that same potential and more...

At least this year we have something to be excited about and a young team that can grow together....

I am a pro DuhWight to Houston supporter ... but if no other moves are made, still exciting

16. onreego

onreego Member

Smart choice. I'm Asian and not that big of a Lin fan but somehow got trolled into this argument. FML.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

18. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

The player in question was Brandon Jennings.....

The next time the teams played, this time in Milwaukee, the "second coming of Michael Jordan" had a chance to put the game away, this happened...........

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/VRmfwKxqe4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I'll say it again, show me someone who claims Jeremy Lin can't play defense, and I'll show you someone who hasn't watched Jeremy Lin play.

20. umberto

umberto Member

Having watched many Lin's games again, I think Lin's defence is good though there's lot of room to improve just like many PGs in the league. He had proved that he could step up his defence when situations called for it. With all the contradictory comments on Lin's abilities I think It might help to post links to some lin's games in full. But again, you can always prove your case with evidences since players have ups and downs during games and throughout the season.Here are some lin's games in full which i can find on youtube. Guess the videos aren't taken down yet cos they are in Mandarin (NBA prolly needs some Chinese experts to comb the youtube :)). Commentaries mostly in Mandarin. Enjoy and be open-minded:

20120204 VS nets
    20120208 VS JAZZ
    20120209 VS wizards
    20120212 VS Timberwolvers
    20120215 VS king
    20120223 VS hawks
    20120220 VS Mavericks
    20120220 VS nets
    20120224 VS heat
    20120224 VS hawks
    20120301 VS Cavaliers
    20120301 VS Mavericks
    20120308 VS spurs
    20120310 VS bucks
    20120313 VS bulls
    20120312 VS 76ers
    20120315 VS Blazers
    20120318 VS Pacers
    20120321 VS raptors
    20120322 VS 76ers
    20120324 VS raptors

A lot of cut-n-paste works. Links are not tested. Hope they're working.

3 people like this.