1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

YouTube Pulls 'Triumph of the Will'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 7, 2019.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the frames had the LGBQ rainbow flag on them, it might work.

biff17 likes this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

History is very important and there is a place it's called the History channel .Do i think it should be shown yes like you said it's a part of history a very very sad part of history.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

Why would this shut down his channel?

isn't he a comedian?

wouldn't his channel be considered free advertisement for him?

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. I mean, if we really want to talk about offensive.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying either of you are wrong. In fact, you're right. I'm just concerned with the fact people don't understand the effect demonetization actually has on a YT channel. Particularly the channels in the mid and low tier. The system shock these people experience when they suddenly have their lifes blood pulled out from under them, usually because of no fault of their own, is quite chilling to their ability to create and publish, and certainly changes what they create and publish and typically not in a good way.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But what is the alternative?

Are we going to force advertisers to give money to Crowder for his speech?

I think Crowder should advertise the crap out of b****ute. Should wear shirts of it, should open his youtube videos with "Go watch me on b****ute!" and he's a big enough name to draw his audience onto other platforms...and that's what he should do.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does the film have historical value? Yes

Does Youtube have a right to censor content it deems against its terms of service? Yes

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's how I view it. I've seen the film, of course, and it is historically important. Like any media in this country, however, YouTube is free to show what they like, in my humble opinion. I think the government getting involved with somehow regulating that right would be one of the worst things I can think of when it comes to the 1st Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Part of that freedom is the right not to publish something, in any media, if that media doesn't want to.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're going to be taught by bland genderless robots in the future, then fantasize over fleshbot p*rn at night...

It makes talking bout Yougle, FB, etc... more relevant, if only because people have been sold on corporate governance (Facism's cuter hipper little bro) day-by-day.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Government option?

This is the limit of the free market. It’s only as “free” as $$$$ said it is.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

An aside...

You can extend the effects of algorithm making decisions toward everything in life. I’m not going to care about YouTube, but my risk factors that get calc by AI and the $ I end up paying for insurance? Or loan, or hiring or college admission,...

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Curious if you were on the side of Lars Ulrich or Napster.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Youtube actions affecting history teachers; blocked channel was reinstated several hours later:

YouTube blocked teachers who were uploading Hitler archival footage
    By Christopher Carbone, Fox News
    June 7, 2019 | 4:57pm

YouTube’s crackdown on white supremacy and hate speech has ensnared history teachers who are trying to upload archival footage of Nazi dictator Adolph Hitler.

The Google-owned platform announced a series of policy changes that will likely see hundreds of thousands of videos removed from the platform, including those that glorify the Nazis, but several historians reported that their educational videos were also swept up in the ban.

Scott Allsop, who owns the MrAllsopHistory revision website and teaches at an international school in Romania, saw his YouTube channel featuring hundreds of clips on a wide range of historical topics taken down for running afoul of the hate speech rules.

“It’s absolutely vital that YouTube work to undo the damage caused by their indiscriminate implementation as soon as possible,” Allsop told The Guardian. “Access to important material is being denied wholesale as many other channels are left branded as promoting hate when they do nothing of the sort.”

Allsop received a note from Google, which is led by Sundar Pichai, saying his channel was removed for sharing “content that promotes hatred or violence against members of a protected group.”

However, hours after the ensuing uproar, the tech giant seemed to reverse itself.

“The channel has been restored! Enormous thanks for everyone’s help and support in getting this back,” the historian tweeted on Wednesday evening.

Although Allsop had his account reinstated on Thursday, he told The Guardian he had been contacted by many other history teachers whose accounts have also been affected by the ban on hate speech.

“I fully support YouTube’s increased efforts to curb hate speech, but also feel that silencing the very people who seek to teach about its dangers could be counter-productive to YouTube’s intended goal,” Allsop said.

The company, which uses a combination of human reviewers and machine learning to review the countless hours of videos uploaded every minute, has encouraged users to provide context to clips being uploaded for educational purposes.

Fox News reached out to Google for additional comment.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/07/youtube-blocked-teachers-who-were-uploading-hitler-archives/

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I posted this harmless meme on Facebook this valentine's day and got a 3 day ban.

[​IMG]

I re-posted it afterwards with Hitler's face blocked out and it went through fine. I wish I were kidding.

FranchiseBlade, B-Bob and dachuda86 like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

geez

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This is timed just right, in order to muddy the waters with their other censorious actions right now. Defend Hitler and nazis? No way says most people, other than nazis and people who like history and understand that it has actual value in this regard.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think you learned from history seeing as you support the same style of "blame all economic problems on the non white entities invading our land with the support of liberals and Jews" rhetoric that nationalistic fascists used that the current adminstration and their supporters spew constantly.

Here's some history for you. An excerpt from Mein Kampf:

"It was and it is Jews who bring the Negroes into the Rhineland, always with the same secret thought and clear aim of ruining the hated white race by the necessarily resulting bastardization"

#57 fchowd0311, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The term "adpocalypse" first appeared in 2012, which was when YouTube first started demonatizing videos for seemingly arbitrary reasons.

My favorite gun channel, "Forgotten Weapons" has been demonitized nearly since it started and it is still in business using Patreon and other sponsors.

Another channel I watch had half their previously money making videos demonitized for showing Adidas logos without permission, of all things. They survived, too, despite being upset.

A ton of videos have been demonitized for a single instance of swearing. I've also heard of musicians being demonitized for copyright complaints... on their own songs. They can thank their labels and their draconian enforcemfor that.

Anyway, I wonder where the predictions about the end of free speech have been for the last seven years before the conservative media machine decided to get involved. This is a slow wave that has been rolling along for nearly a decade, not some new phenomenon timed with sinister precision by the evil liberal cabal to destroy conservatism.

YouTube doesn't intrinsically care about any content. What they care about is upseting or spooking the advertisers whose ad revenue keeps their servers turned on.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This post is false and I resent the way you characterize me as a racist. Tells me that perhaps you are projecting what sits inside your heart. I don't need to defend my views on the economic reality we face to someone as closed minded as yourself. Good day.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you show us the response from FB? I genuinely curious to see how they handle things.