1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Youth growth takes a back seat to Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Plus they need to lose to keep their first round pick

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Duncan and Dirk aren't doing that

Duncan>Kobe
    Dirk>Kobe

4. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Not the worst idea in the world as it takes some of the pressure away from their young players whilst they adapt. (Smokescreen!)
    I mean this must be the 1st time ever the young players at 76's have ever sucked in their life. Okafor, Noel etc would've always been in successful sides. Their performances/results would be messing with their heads FOR SURE.
    But the Lakers are saying "this year is about the Kobe farewell tour" which instantly takes pressure off the others.
    Good move!

5. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

Which suck? As in losing or performing bad?

76ers are losing but at least their players are getting a taste of how difficult it's going to be to succeed. Adjust to the game with actual games on the line.
    Lakers are just plain losing because Kobe is taking 25 FGA attempts a game. Larry Nance seems to be the only one getting his feet in the water. Some rookies are meant to be played their Rookie year ala KD, Timmy, Griffin.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Their young guys are getting plenty of minutes anyway and I'm sure plenty of coach attention.

That said, if your recent draft picks kinda suck, and your immediate future kinda sucks, why not draw attention away from that and focus fans on Kobe? "Yes, our youngsters kinda suck, but pay no attention right now, because this season is all about Kobe, not youngsters."

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is probably the best way to tank. Have the franchise 20-yr mega star's retirement give the fans something to cheer about each time out, yet lose as many games as possible.

8. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Meant in terms of losing games.
    Yes rooks are supposed to be played. But until recently, 76's virtually had a full side. They were stars at College and likely high school. Now they're losing game in, game out - that must mess with their head.
    With Lakers saying "this years about Kobe" that would take some of the pressure away from their rookies. Sure they may be getting less minutes than the 76's, but I wouldn't have thought by much.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

D'Angelo Russell says hi.

28 mpg, 22 starts and 35/36 GPs for a 19yr is a lot.

There's always a concern of avoiding development of bad habits against superior players, putting them in the best situations to development, and coaching them about the game in front of them as they are sitting next to you on the bench, rather than getting a full 34/35 mpg.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That's great to hear. God doesn't take a backseat to anyone, especially a bunch of no names.

11. Apps

Apps Member

Russell has improved, Randle has regressed. Neither are actually starting caliber players at this point in their careers. Larry Nance Jr. has emerged as a scrappy player who is willing to put in consistent effort on both ends of the floor, so naturally he gets the start. Not too difficult to understand. Scott has made a lot of errors as the Lakers' coach, but this was a decision which surprisingly made more sense as time went on.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I hope Kirby realizes his mistake at season's end and declares that he's going to play 2 more seasons for the Lakers.

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

We should just have a dedicated Kobe thread in the Dish, especially for this season.

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

They are tanking. Byron Scottt should work for the Sixers next LOL

Perfect man to pretend like he's trying to win when he's really tanking. Perfect bait and switch man like the bait and switch franchise Sixers

#14 krnxsnoopy, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  15. krnxsnoopy

When the Lakers actually start trying to win again, they will get a new coach.

Byron Scott is a ****ing joke hahaha

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Lakers have a bright future if Russell, Clarkson, and Randle all pan out. Plus, they have a great shot at a top 3 pick again this year.

17. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

His FG % is waving right back at you. 39% FG, 31% from 3
    Getting 3 ast, And 2 TOs per game.

I do believe in the best situation to develop though. Even if they lose their confidence has them looking ahead.
    It might just be me, but I don't feel like a player who is trying to earn his minutes and learn the game should lose minutes by default because of a retiring legend.
    Lose them because you suck, but tried not to accommodate another one.. my thoughts.. I'm not the coach so it's only about opinion

18. krnxsnoopy

They are trying to lose and keep their 1st round pick.

Celebrating Kobe's last year is a nice excuse to keep playing him (and keep losing)

19. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

There you go, the excuse to tank.. is that why 76ers signed brand? To lay out the retirement carpet aswell? Rethorical.. I understand now.

Side note: i find it hilarious how it's implied that playing Kobe means it's a loss, lol.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They'd be losing a bunch either way IMO.