1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Youth Football...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by blk5g, Feb 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I played football from the 5th grade thru high school, mainly because of the peer pressure, in Texas that's just what you do. I'm was smallish to average but I was always hurt: jammed fingers, sprained ankles, cracked sternum, concussions, sore feet (crappy shoes)... but I did get to date cheerleaders and dance team girls so I succeeded in my only real goal.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Would anyone else agree that football is the one sport that seems to be the easiest to pick up later in life? Seems like there are a lot of success stories of kids getting scholarships even though they didn't play until well into high school. With all of the different positions in the game, it seems like all that is required is a growth spurt and some athleticism. Yes, there are many intricacies in the game, especially at QB. But I think anyone can learn to be an OL or play any of the positions on defense at a high level if they have some athleticism, size, and are coachable.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

yes, it's a game of testosterone

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The thing is that Peewee sports are dominated by the kids who mature early, but college and pro sports are dominated by kids who mature later.

And by mature, I am talking about puberty.....early folks that hit that have an advantage, but the kids that are late, had to learn how to play against bigger faster before they became bigger and faster, and once it evens out, they have the advantage.

DD

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You'd probably dominate.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I've witnessed a coach yell in an 8 year old's face, grab him by his jersey, and toss him to the side to go run laps because he didn't run a freaking flea flicker properly. If I ever saw some over-aggressive, mouth-breathing wanna-be Lawrence Taylor do that to my son, I'd have a conniption. I don't necessarily have a problem with the sport, I have a problem with all the "coaches" who don't have a clue about fundamentals, and just want to copy what they see on Sundays (vicariously through their kids of course).

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I was a decent DB in high school, my wife's dad and two brothers are local legends in thier town from thier high school football days. So if/when I have boys and if they want to, hell yes they'll play football.

8. Buck Turgidson

Totally agree, especially the skill positions of WR/TE. We're all taught to catch when we're toddlers.

9. Buck Turgidson

Fixed