1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your vinyl record collection?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Apr 5, 2014.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

And of course, as I mentioned, the stylus cartridge and turntable/sound system itself.

2. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Had roughly 10,000 33's and 45's up to about 5 years ago. Started selling and giving them away before we moved into our current house. Have 3 or 4 terabytes worth of music on external hard drives now. A lot easier to deal with lol

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry, I am just having fun, and there's nothing personal. I've seen a lot of bands, and to me… they are just one of the worst, if not the worst set of musicians I've seen that are supposedly a reputable band.

How about, if we were to form a ratio:

musical talent / reputation

Our of there genre, which is already full of low ratios, they are still the worst, to me at least. :grin:

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So by digital you meant the engineers who choose to crank the volume on CDs.

Right, let me explain. All new music (for many years) is digital. If you prefer the vinyl version, you have a personal preference for the distortion, EQ and mastering on the vinyl copy. I own the technically superior SACD for listening and the vinyl for eye candy. I've heard both, and the sound isn't even close.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

would be interesting to know what you play them back on- what kind of TT, SACD player, and the downstream components.

6. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Wow, yeah, as someone else mentioned this has to be a joke? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that's exactly what it it is... YOUR opinion. I happen to think that Queensryche put out some damn good music from their first EP up until Promised Land. I will concede that I find their stuff after that to be ****.

Get over yourself.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I have a bunch of albums left over from my high school days, but I don't collect them per se. Mostly Rush, Police, Van Halen, Ozzy, U2, REM. I haven't actually bought a vinyl album since...well, high school. Most of my favorites are framed on the wall in our game-room.

We do have a jukebox that plays 45's, so we have a LOT of those.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many pieces of vinyl do you have?

9. Bandwagoner

PS3 -> Pioneer VSX-1123

Pioneer PL-41 -> Pioneer SA-9500

10. SuraGotMadHops

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ah, okay. I'm the serious one.

Am eternally over myself, but was just joshing with you. Sorry if Queensryche, or any band, is that serious a topic. You shouldn't ignore that I praised the entirity of the rest of your list ... unless of course... QR is the pinacle of your collection.

Cheers! :)

12. Bandwagoner

I fully support B-Bob's freedom to bash any band that wasted his money and evening with a horrible concert.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i like the vintage pioneer gear. are you using the same speakers?

also, does the VSX-1123 accept a dsd input over HDMI from the PS3 w/o converting it to PCM?

14. Bandwagoner

I think the PS3 converts to PCM but I'm not sure. When I bought it, everything was LPCM but now updates have it bitstreaming DTS-HD. I have a bdp-bx510 that does DSD over HDMI. I can't hear a difference.

I have used the same speakers for comparison but typically I have the 9500 running out of a pair of usa made JBL's. They are probably superior to my 5.1 setup but I only have 2 of them so can't run them for home theater.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/oYvXqXEEpgg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/oYvXqXEEpgg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

#34 Bandwagoner, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  15. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

I find it to be extremely obnoxius when people state their opinions as fact. And, yes, I know everyone does it. Also, you seem to be more concerened with what other people think about the music that you play than what you enjoy, yourself. Typical. I'm not concerned with who will get up and leave my party based on what kind of music I'm playing. I play what I like.

The thread was to list your vinyl collection. And you come in and start sh**ting on people's taste in music. How is anyone supposed to know that you were "just joshing?"

Why don't you post your list?

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have a bunch of old records, including a handful of direct to disc. My favorite is Earl Fatha Hines Plays Hits He Missed. Nothing like the air you get from a good turntable, pre amp, amp, and speakers.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

AC/DC - Highway to Hell, Back in Black, FTATR
    Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance (picture disc)
    Kiss - Alive, Alive II, Destroyer, RARO, Animalize
    Led Zeppelin - II
    Whitesnake- Slide it In
    Ratt - EP, OOTC, Dancing Undercover, Invasion of Your Privacy
    Heart- Dreamboat Annie
    Aerosmith- self titled, Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, Rocks, Draw the Line
    Motley Crue - TFFL, GGG, Dr Feelgood
    Sammy Hagar- Standing Hampton, Three Lock Box
    Montrose- self titled
    Van Halen - all the Roth era
    Ace Frehley - 1978

18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

The ONLY era.

19. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

20. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Maybe it's just my setup, but to me it's a bigger pain in the rear to wait for the DVD to set things up and run through the TV/amp than it is to pull a record out of the sleeve.

I still buy CDs, and I feel like I'm the only one left, but vinyl is my go-to option when it comes to turning music on around the house, which we do daily.