1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your top 3 countries to live in?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, May 8, 2016.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Perhaps if you are rich the USA would be a top country to live in, but if you are poor (statistically 15% of all citizens) heck no. Poor healthcare, dangerous, and government for the most part doesn't care about you. Not to mention the systems in place actually make it harder for you to get out of poverty.

If you are middle class, it's debatable. America isn't bad, but in Europe you can be middle class but enjoy greater safety and double the # of vacation days so you can be with your family more.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I wasn't going to live in the US, I'd live in France (the other country I'm a citizen of, and I could finally try to master the language), or maybe the UK (could probably actually get a job there). As great as Italy or Greece or Thailand or whatever might be, the language barrier would be too problematic for me. Wherever I go to live needs to speak either English or French because I don't think I have much of a knack for learning languages.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Weird that it's #1 choice of most poor people

4. Mr. Clutch

Just went to Costa Rica. Definitely fun for eco tourism and adventure sports. People are very nice. A little touristy and there's nothing special about Costa Rican food, but we found some good restaurants.

Although August is in middle of their rainy season, not the best time to go

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

poor people from where?

If poor people from America, well most likely those people don't know how good other countries have it.

If poor people from other countries, the USA is the single most influential country in the world, and it has been able to exalt it's virtues (however misleading those are) through the media.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Agree with New Zealand and Costa Rica, English/Spanish are good languages for me, beaches and nature, small populations, and like you mentioned weather, saftey.

Isn't Monaco the billionaire capital? With such little land can't imagine it being anywhere near my price range lol

7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Switzerland
    Austria
    Germany
    USA
    Australia
    New Zealand

8. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Only been to Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, China, Italy, Greece and France. I would rank France first, then Canada and USA.

Italy is great to visit. The people... Not so much.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Spring and Fall at a canal house in the Netherlands, location in the country to be determined. Amsterdam is far from the only "cool" city or town in the country. A great base for going anywhere in Europe.

Summer in Canada. I have an old friend in Kaslo, BC, and the place is spectacular. He started a jazz/blues festival there. It's every Canadian Labor Day weekend.

Winter in Texas. I wouldn't spend the entire winter here, of course, but we have so many friends and relatives in the state that I can't imagine not spending time here every year. We'd keep the house in Southwest Austin. It's paid for.

10. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Secretly disguised evacuate Katy thread

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. USA - It's home.
    2. Germany - Seems like they've got the whole "efficient first-world country" thing figured out.
    3. Cyprus - I'll live on a vineyard and never speak to a soul again, gorging myself on meze.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

How is the commute from your house to UT Austin? I'm ready to rent a room from you for a year :cool:

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Ignoring the US/Canada.

1) Malta- Lovely little island country in between Sicily and N. Africa. Weather's a nice, blend of Middle Eastern and European countries. Food is great. Everyone speaks English. It has the charm of an under developed country with the amenities of a developed one. Not a lot of tourists either (or at least when I went).
    2) Ireland- Weather's a drag, but I've lived here since January and I love it.
    3) Spain- Particularly the Southern part. I speak the language enough to get around, and I really liked Madrid.

14. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Thailand.

You can live like a king, have any woman you want and eat the best of foods.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

You'll have to double check on that breh.

16. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

If you can't tell then Thailand is not for you.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't know why people put Germany so high. They do have a very good public transportation system, but the people there are pretty rude. Maybe they don't like Americans. I was there for a few weeks and people were so up tight.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think Tizzle Breh has some serious explaining to do.

19. Mr. Clutch

I went to Berlin and Dresden and everyone was super nice. Spain and Amsterdam, not so much

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Were you there to do the rejection project?