1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your thoughts on Bill Worrell, Bull and Clyde

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Sep 7, 2012.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

So I've heard some good and bad things about the current broadcast team for the Rockets. Personally, I love them. People say Bull and Clyde are annoying, but I don't think so at all. Bull is very knowledgeable about the game, and Clyde is his usual quirky self during home games. Bill is awesome and has been the voice of the Rockets since the '70s or something. At least on TV, because Gene Petersen was the Radio voice for even longer I think before we switched to Craig Aackerman, who I also really like. It's even better when all 3 are on the booth at the same time, like at that one game at LA and we came out with the win on Camby's 3 I think lol or something along those lines. Overall I love them, never really got to know Calvin Murphy since I wasn't good with English at all back then. Lol

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Clyde is turrible. Like, epicly turrible.

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Drop Clyde and bring back Calvin and all would be good as far as I'm concerned.

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Clyde is terrible. He's funny because he does or says stupid stuff unintentionally. Unfortunately I look at that as more sad than funny.

5. Know Your Role

Keep Clyde away from play by play. Bring Calvin in to fill the void. Instant Stop and Pop offense.

6. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Drop Bull and Clyde

Bring in Van Chancellor and Don Chaney

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They are okay.

Glad to be bringing back Calvin though. Much more enjoyable to listen to than Bull or Clyde.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Love them all, Bill is a great play by play guy, Bull is really good on color, Clyde was good at basketball.

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Bullard is acceptably average. I don't love him, I don't hate him.

Clyde was my hero as a kid, super great guy to meet, I cannot speak ill of him. He is enjoyable cute in a bumbling way on the commentary from time to time, but I'm afraid even I think he'd be better off in another line of work.

Calvin is the real deal.

10. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

12. tomato

tomato Member

why i oughta...!!!

13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I love them all, they feel like family to this Rockets organization. Bull is probably my favorite, very knowledgable and smart guy. Worell is good play by play. And say what you wan't about Clyde but he adds some good insight from time to time, and at worst says something we can all laugh about (Scola being up there with Lebron and KD :grin:).

14. moetherolla

moetherolla Member

Clyde is absolutely horrible. I love the guy as a player but christ is he awful. His comments add nothing to the broadcast. He just spits the same elementary saying over and over. How anybody thinks Clyde is very good is just crazy. I keep hearing Calvin is coming back. Would make a great deal of sense as they move over to the new network to attract some attention. At the Fan Fest this year I heard Calvin himself say that he was coming back. Lord i hope so.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Man, I loved Calvin in that job. And he was exonerated in court. Still, I just can't tolerate a guy whose own children would make such horrific accusations about him. Even if those accusations weren't true, how bad of a father must he have been for his children to have been willing to say that stuff about him? Anyway, I'm sure that's all been covered ad nauseum on this site. I just want to cheer with ppl who I can at least pretend to think are good people....just me....

16. albuster

albuster Member

It wouldn't matter at all if the Rockets had a great team. They are just a sideshow. I like Worrell's broadcasting style a lot though.

17. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

if bill worrell and clyde drexler ever had a child together, it would be matt bullard

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love Bill Worrell - but unfortunately he's even becoming difficult to listen to at times because if he's with Bull he sometimes starts becoming negative and obsessed with bad calls like Bull - and if he's with Clyde, sometimes he seems irritated like "How long are they going to make me carry this guy?".

As for Bull and Clyde - I love them as Rockets but hate listening to them as commentators. Bull whines about bad calls excessively, uses stupid catch phrases excessively - for example, we all got more than a little sick of "Hey Bud, Let's Party!" and I also have come to hate how he seems to literally look at a map of whatever area they're playing in so he can say "He shot that one from Long Beach!" or whatever every single game.

Clyde? He's a Houston legend, I loved him on the Rockets so much. I think he's probably a fantastic human being - but he is insufferably stupid. I have never heard him say a single thing I thought contributed any real insight. And you would think that I, as someone who has never even played the game of basketball, would at least occasionally glean some insight from a guy with a Hall of Fame pedigree like CLyde - but I haven't. I really haven't. I found Van Chancellor's accent to be difficult to take - but I often gained insight into the game of basketball from him. Bull even occasionally points out things I didn't notice. But Clyde? He says the most obvious things ever. And it's cliche after cliche. I can't take it. I often literally put the games on mute these days when Clyde is on and just listen to music or something. It's terrible though. I'd really like to listen to the game but he's awful and Bull is mediocre at best.

BRING BACK CALVIN! At this point, I'd rather have Calvin even if he did commit those heinous crimes. That's how bad I hate listening to Bull and Clyde.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clyde is really good at identifying the high pick and roll.

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

+1:)

nice to have Calvin back. don't understand the whining about Clyde.