1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your thoughts if any on Kenny Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Feb 11, 2015.

1. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Kenny at least offers some intelligent comments. Charles and especially Shaq are shallow at best.

I have to laugh every time we get a thread blasting Bill, Bull, and Clyde. I would rather watch them any day over listening to Shaq and Charles...in fact, I pretty much just watch the live action now on TNT and skip the junior high commentary.

2. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Absolutely agree with everyone above. Everyone knows that Chuck just blurts out spontaneous feelings and manufactures stats/rankings. That goes along with Shaq and his DEEP PASSION to dismantle Dwight's entire career into the ground.

Kenny seems to try and play the democratic position on the show and help Chuck not seem so far-fetched. He loosely agreed with Chuck that the Rockets have the league's worst defense, then somehow looped Dwight in by saying 'how much better on defense could they be when he's playing'.. :eek:

Not to throw off the direction OP but did anyone notice how quiet Chris Webber seemed when the Rockets went on their 4th quarter run? If I'm homering, tell me because I can be guilty of it. He was ranting and raving loudly every play when Phoenix went on their 3rd quarter comeback. Then he'd have a quick 'thats what Harden can do' or 'Beverley displaying hustle down the stretch' comment and keep it short. Not a lot of love lost for Houston around the league lol and maybe it's all because of Dwight's reputation. Ah well, just a thought.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I didn't notice that but I did notice (and appreciate) him repeatedly wondering aloud wtf the Suns guards were doing and hinting as if there must be some tension/dislike between them.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I thought for the most part C Webb called a fair game, I have no problem at all with his coomentary, as for Reggie Miller.......................................................................................................

has that ended yet?

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think CWebb is pretty fair, and generally says positive things about Houston. Even when PHX was coming back and going on a run, he was talking about how teams like PHX without a star or chemistry usually don't score a lot down the stretch and will have a tough time keeping the lead.

CWebb usually seems to favor the Rockets and has positive things to say. I have zero complaints of him at all.

6. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

C Webb is one of the best commentators/analyst on TV if not the best, the guy genuinely loves watching basketball, you can tell he's a fan. Has absolutely no bias, very enjoyable commentating.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Webber has become my second favorite national guy after JVG, I love when Webber is doing a game. He calls it down the middle and tries to provide actual information.

I haven't watched TNT's show in years. Barkley always hated on the Rockets, but he has become completely unbearable since we got Dwight.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I can understand the thought of over relying or over thinking when it comes to analytics to the point where your giving analytics all the credit or too much credit. The intelligence of it too me is not all that brilliant in my opinion but saying all that it's one of Morey's tools. Morey has also done a great job as a GM. It's on the team/players and the leader/leaders from coaching staff on down to get the job done in the playoffs. Having nice tools and assets are good and all but if we don't win the race how much does the parts and tools really matter at that point?

9. coffeelover665

Kenny isn't the alpha in that show. I believe Chuck thinks he's alpha. Shaq is the guy who always challenges the alpha. But I believe Ernie is the real man on the show. But anyways, he defends Houston when he can. Remember, Houston might have made his career, but Houston have no influence on him anymore. These 3 guys and their relationship with him do. And Kenny is not the leader in this group to be steering group opinions.

10. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Kenny and Ernie are both OK. They mostly talk about facts.

Chuck Barkley, on the other hand, is just a stirring bar. He'll stir up things whenever he gets a chance.

Shaq is an entertainer.

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I on the low believe Shaq WANTS Dwight to be as dominant as he once was, the thing is that obviosuly wont happen. I know Shaq and Dwight had a good relationship pre the Magic trade drama, same with Kobe. To me that's how I see it, Shaq wants Dwight to be that guy. I dont know if anyone else feels that way, and Shaq is no basketball analyst so anything he says analyzing a game wise is pretty much nothing to me.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't know... Kenny sounded pretty dumb when he used himself as an example for why analtyics aren't great.

He mentioned how he shot very few 3's before joining the Rockets then became a great 3-point shooter. Basically declared that Morey would never be able to see that in a player like him.

There are a lot of ways to counter that argument but I'll with the easiest possible. Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Patrick Beverley. Next.

13. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Dude is a damn sellout. He and Parsons have lost my respect.

14. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Kenny is still on the show?

Kidding, but he's very much in the background.

EJ - keeps the show on course (tries to)
    Shaq & Charles - circus event
    Kenny - 4th wheel

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Complaining about a championship point guard who helped the rockets win two titles and complaining about harper exploiting the hand check rule ?

What about abusing john Stockton in 94 conference finals?

What scoring all over penny Hardaway?

How dare you insult clutch city.

Look at the name of this board.

This is media generation who cares more about twitter, tmz, and tv commentators than basketball itself.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His legacy as rocket is eternal. If he blows up toyota center is the only way kenny would do any wrong to the organization

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't expect Kenny to defend the Rockets. Thats not his job so he doesn't have to. Although I do think hes the most reasonable one on there when talking the Rockets. Hes the only one that said Smith was a good pickup for them and doesn't rip Dwight for his lack post game every time.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Help me out here where did I insult "clutch city" all I said was why doesnt he back the organization that made him a two time champion like he is today. Gee I must have insulted your feelings today huh boss.

19. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I agree but sometimes his commentary bleeds over into the play by play and great game moments are ignored.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I've heard Kenny defend the Rockets many times. He's the only one who didn't write us off as a lottery team at the start of the season, the only one who has consistently characterized us as contenders, and the only one who acknowledged what good additions Corey & Smoove have been. Always extremely complimentary of Harden, and he doesn't crap on Dwight (which is a low ass standard, but it's about the best you can hope for with that group).