1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your QB Solution

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

?

What would your QB solution be?

1. Take a QB at 33

18.7%
  2. Take a project QB later in this draft

32.3%
  3. Trade for Ryan Mallett

11.0%
  4. Hold the fort and wait for a better option next year

38.1%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No matter how good the defense is, you need good QB play. The Seattle example that is used for why defense wins is a bad one because 1) The odds you'll get the type of defense Seattle had are slim and 2) Russell Wilson was a strong QB. The other teams in that division with good defense and bad QB play didn't make the playoffs.

So, what's your ideal QB solution? Not what you think the Texans will do, but you would do based on your own opinion.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Wait until next year's draft.... Fitzpatrick will make sure we have a top 10-12 pick.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Trading for Ryan Mallet during his contract year for anything higher than a 4th round pick, is a desperation move.

Drafting a QB at 33 (basically 1st rd) should only be done if he is a franchise QB. The general consensus is that those guys are off the board.

The best option is to take a project QB/ hold fort.

4. Convictedstupid

Suck until next year.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

After reading that ESPN article, I want Derek Carr. I have always defended David Carr and still contend anyone who was drafted into that mess of a situation would have flopped. Drafted into an expansion team in a big Texas city where there is a ton of pressure behind historically the worst offensive line in the NFL? When the Texans were good 2011-2012 I always thought, "I wonder how good David Carr would have been if this was the team he was drafted into". Now we have a chance to find out.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What do you guys think about getting Garoppolo in the 3rd? BOB likes to go with a hurry defense and Garoppolo is said to have the quickest release out of all the qbs in the draft. Draft him, groom him for a year or two, then see what he can do.

It worked for the 49ers with kaepernick.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Brett Smith. Tremendous project QB, very mobile and has a cannon of an arm. I wouldn't start him for his first two years, he really needs to develop his mechanics but I recall reading an NFL scout calling all his issues to be "very coachable".

Wasn't invited to the combine but at his pro day he ran a 4.51 40 yard dash and measured in with 10 inch hands. Small size though.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Give Case protection and some better offensive schemes to work with.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

There is no ideal solution. Every option the Texans have is not very good. The Texans have to choose between giving up a draft pick for another teams backup, or using a second, third, or fourth round pick on a QB. This is where the Team should be much more knowledgeable than the average fan. BOB has worked with Mallett, so he should have a good handle on if we should go in that direction. What does BOB think about TJ Yates, or Case Keenum? What do the Texans think of any of the QB's still available in the draft?

Really, none of the options looks very good for acquiring our QB of the future at this time. If the Texans don't view Yates, or Keenum as starter quality QB's then we should probably release them and replace them with someone that may have a shot at developing into a starter.

So, If the the Texans are still hoping for a quick turn around for this team, I think they should trade for the best backup with the most upside potential. I think they also should draft a QB with maybe a 4th round pick. Basically replace Yates and Keenum with someone that may someday be a starter in this league.

All the options are bad at this point.

10. Progs

Progs Member

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay both think Texans will select Jimmy Garopollo with the 1st pick in the second round.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Mallet or hold dat fort.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Reportedly, the Texans weren't that interested in Manziel or Bridgewater at all, or at least for where they were drafted. If that's the case, I have a hard time seeing them liking another QB enough to take them at #33.

As I wrote in the other thread, the problem I have with taking a QB in the 3rd is that in the last 15 years (that's only as far as I went back), no team that has taken a QB in the 3rd, regardless of how crappy they ended up being, has addressed QB in the draft the following year. I think it has to with the positioning of where they're drafted. It's high enough that teams still think these QBs can become eventual starters. But it's low enough that they're not expected to necessarily start right away and they're afforded at least a couple of years to "develop". Never mind that they almost never do. Only 3 of the 19 QBs taken in the 3rd round in the last 15 years have been any good.

So my fear is that we take a QB in the 3rd, give him a couple of years to develop, don't address the position in the meantime, and then realize too late that he's not going to be the guy and end up treading water for the next couple of years because we don't have a QB. And if you do take a QB in the 3rd, that is by far the most likeliest scenario. Almost guaranteed.

Personally, I'm not thrilled with any of the QBs that are left. I'm lukewarm on a couple, but I think there's a risk of committing a couple of years to a 3rd rounder who doesn't end up doing anything. It's possible there could a good QB left, but unlikely.

As for a Project QB, there's only been one QB taken in the 4th or later the last 15 years that has done anything. Tom Brady. And I guess you could throw Romo in there too since he wasn't drafted. But that's a needle in a haystack. Not even worth trying IMO.

I said long before the draft that if they didn't one of the Top 3 that I'd just prefer them to not draft a QB at all.

#12 Cannonball, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

don't sleep on Fitz

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Trade back in 2nd and use one of the extra 3rd's we receive on Aaron Murray.

15. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

2014 campaign slogan - "Suck for crab legs"

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I just hope we aren't in a situation like the Browns where they kept trying to find their franchise QB over and over and over. A great defense can be wasted if you don't have good QB play.

17. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

If O'Brien trades for Ryan Mallet then I'm taking an unprecedentedly early seat on the fire O'Brien bandwagon. Have not been feeling a good vibe on his taste in QB's. Yes we need one, but if the right one is not available, then pass.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is my fear. Cleveland isn't a good example really. Look at Arizona.

Their defense was every bit as good as Seattle's and it didn't matter. QB play is the difference.

I'm on the take a project QB bandwagon personally at this point.

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

First question - are we going to suck enough next year to be able to draft Mariotta or Winston?

20. Progs

Progs Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SBoj4bQCaQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>