1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your History as a Rocket Fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, Mar 10, 2011.

1. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Ok, so I think it would be interesting to find out a little something about some of the posters on this forum. I will post some questions, be honest, and I will start it off by answering them, as well.

From:Mission, Texas.. small city way south, close to the border.

Fan since: It was 1990, I was 8 yrs. Old.

Became a Rocket fan How: Introduced to basketball when Jordan and Magic were playing in the Finals, I had lots of family living in Houston, so I decided to follow the Houston Rockets since then.

First Rocket Jersey: Hakeem, the ugly blue cartoon one lol..

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: The Dream dominating Robinson, and it leading to a championship

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: I loved watching Mario Elie play

First live Rockets game: Damn, never been to one, but Peterson and Foley made it seem live... first heard them on the radio against the Jazz.. that was my cable.

So there you go, a little history about me and as a Rocket fan... would be interesting to know of some of you guys on here.

1 person likes this.
  2. scola4

scola4 Member

Fan since: watched in 1994 but was too young. real fan since about 1999.

Became a Rocket fan How: My dad was a huge fan in the 90's and would get me to watch the games with him. Now its the other way around...

First Rocket Jersey: old blue Steve Francis jersey.

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Carl Landry block and save against Utah in the playoffs than Alston kisses him!!

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Luis Scola

First live Rockets game: The 1st game of 2003 season. I wanted to watch Yao so bad..

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Born in Houston, lived there 6 years, then lived in Sugar Land for 13 years. Bounced around the last 5+ years.

Age mid 20's.

Fan since: 1993 (I was young). My parents made me watch games with them and my dad bought me a kid's 1993 white Olajuwon jersey.

Most memorable Rockets moment: If I'm honest, the Houston-Dallas series in ... 2005? That was the first Rockets playoff series where I attended all the home games.

Favorite non-Hakeem player: I really liked Stevie, recently it was Landry, then Brooks... now Hayes.

First live Rockets game: too young to remember.

4. victorx91

victorx91 Member

Fan since: 2001

Became a Rocket fan How: My cousin had NBA Live 2002 when it first came out in late 2001 and Steve Francis was on the cover. I always used the Rockets in every basketball game ever since that game. Yao Ming wasn't in that game. I remember hating Cato because he was so garbage in it. But yes, this was how I became a Rockets fan. I never was raised into sports so I got into it myself.

First Rocket Jersey: N/A. But I have a lot of Rockets snapback hats and a sweater.

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: That year when Steve and Yao took us to 7 against the Lakers... Still remember Jim Jackson missing that corner 3 at the buzzer in game 1... 13 in 33, Dunk on Shawn, Yao coming back in the game after getting injured.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Yao Ming, Kyle Lowry.

First live Rockets game: It was that game in Oakland against the Warriors where Baron Davis hit the buzzer beating 3 over Yao... crowd went crazy. Ever since then I've been going to every Rockets game at the Oracle.

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Fan since: 1993 (10 years old.)

Became a Rocket fan How: Happened to flip the TV to NBC when the Rockets were playing the Sonics in Game 7 of the WC Semifinals in '93. Despite not really watching any Rockets basketball to that point, I got very much into the game. Once they were knocked out, I continued to follow the playoffs and fall in love with the NBA. By the time the Rockets started back up several months later I was hooked and ready to go.

First Rocket Jersey: Drexler (Flying Dildo)

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Walking up steps at the Summit and seeing the court for the first time. First Rocket I ever laid eyes on in person was Matt Bullard.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Though he wasn't here long, I have to lean toward Sam Cassell.

First live Rockets game: vs. San Antonio on Saturday, April 9th, 1994.

6. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Carl Landry block and save against Utah in the playoffs than Alston kisses him!!

First live Rockets game: The 1st game of 2003 season. I wanted to watch Yao so bad..[/QUOTE]

Pretty cool, I still remember that Landry Block, that was crucial.. sucks we lost that series though..and getting to watch Yaos first game, Lucky!!

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Fan since: Pretty much birth. My dad is a big sports fan, so the Oilers (Texans), Rockets, and Astros have been ingrained in me since I was a toddler.

First Rockets jersey: The Championship era Sam Cassell jersey

Most Memorable Moment: Being there in person to witness the Rockets win their first championship. Watching Richard Lewis and Spike Lee run out of the stadium with their ridiculous black wigs on in the closing seconds was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen. People were heckling them all the way through the tunnel.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite player: That's a toughie, but Cassell will always be a favorite of mine. In the new batch of players, Lowry is fastly moving to the top of my list.

First live game: We had season tickets starting from the 92-93 season onward to the 96-97 season, so I guess it would be the first home game of the 1992 season.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

My experience on this forum makes me wonder how explosive the Rockets growth as a franchise and fan base was in 1993-1994.

9. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Fan since: First started watching the Rockets in 1989. Hated the Sonics in from '91 to '93. Fan of the Nuggets in '94 (for knocking out the Sonics)

Became a Rocket fan How: My Brother and I just started watching when the were still broadcasting on channel 20, 26, 39. They changed stations ever so often.

First Rocket Jersey: Old Shark Toothed Rocket Pin Striped PJ's (Drexler)

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Mario Elie Kiss of Death. I was at the UC underground at U of H after a Martial Arts demnostration.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Sam Cassel

First live Rockets game: The Summit 1995 vs. Cleveland Cavs

10. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

It's interesting to see how some you guys got into being a Rocket fan..
    Video games, from birth, watching 1 game pretty cool stuff.. It all brings me memories of the Rockets history

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Fan since: 1986, I was 7 yrs. Old.

Became a Rocket fan How: Watched the Rockets battle Larry legend, didn't realize it would be that hard to get back to the finals.

First Rocket Jersey: Hakeem, championship version.

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Down 0-2 going to PHX and the birth of Clutch City.

First live Rockets game: Jazz/Rockets in the WCF in 94.

12. Coriolis

Coriolis Member

Fan since: 2005

Became a Rocket fan How: Saw the Rockets when they came to Charlotte to play the Bobcats. I hopped onto the Yao bandwagon at first since I'm asian, but I really came to like the team as a whole and DM's ability to make something out of nothing. I seriously started following the Rockets freshman year in college (2007ish)

First Rocket Jersey: Still in the starving college student demographic (no jersey..yet)

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: The 22 win streak

Favorite Rocket player: Yao Ming

First live Rockets game: 2005 Bobcats vs. Rockets game in Charlotte

1 person likes this.
  13. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Fan since: 1990, I was 7 yrs. Old.

Became a Rocket fan How: After figuring out my love of basketball and the city of Houston, it was only natural

First Rocket Jersey: Sam Cassell

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Too many to choose from, so I'll list multiple...only the championship years make the cut...'94 - Maxwell getting hot in game 3 in Phoenix (down 0-2), Sam's 3 in game 3 in New York, Maxwell's 3 in game 7 of the Finals, the picture of Otis and Dream embracing after it was all but over...'95 - the 4th quarter comeback in game 5 in Utah, Mario and the Kiss of Death, Dream dominating Robinson in the WCF, Nick Anderson missing 4 straight and Kenny making the tying 3, Dream's tip-in off of Clyde's missed fingerroll, Sam's 31 points in the Finals, Clyde's steal and breakaway dunk, Clyde getting a champagne bath from Kenny during the post-game press conference

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Tie between Clyde and Sam

First live Rockets game: Parents got us $10 tickets at the Summit...think it was '92

14. ipa

ipa Member

Fan since: 2004

Became a Rocket fan How: Played NBA Live 2003. My class-mate asked me if we could watch NBA games. So I googled it and found out that we could using p2p. He started watching them, so I said "hey...I should watch some games too. but whom?" So I decided on the Rockets, and from the moment I first saw them play, I fell in love. Love at first sight. From that point forward I kept on waking up at 2-3 am to watch the rockets, and then go to school and sleep there :p

First Rocket Jersey: Unfortunately, none. I sure dream of one. I once had a hoodie with the old rockets logo

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: T-Mac's 13 points in 35 seconds.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Carl Landry. I was upset to see him go. But then I got over it. I still love him.

First live Rockets game: None. But I do hope I could come to a game. Or the Rockets may perform in Europe with the new-direction the NBA is heading towards.

PS: I apologies for my bad English!

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Fan since: can't really say, been following since Steve Francis ditched Vancouver :mad: but really became a fan in 02 when Yao was drafted.

Became a Rocket fan How: Probably Stevie (cuz he was drafted by VANCOUVER GRIZZLIES :mad:) but I really liked the Yao and Stevie dual.

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Yao Ming swats Shaq in first meeting, hells yeahh. More recently, the end of the Portland series, first time in my Rockets fandom they make it out of first round.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Changed over time. Yao Ming, Favorite players now between Chase and Kmart.

First live Rockets game: Vs. Toronto, the only time Rockets come to Canada.

As a side note, Vince Carter was my first favorite favorite player. The guy brought the Raptors onto the map. I started playing basketball because of him. But then he became a p***y and stopped dunking, and was injured 24/7. Stopped following him that closely after he got traded.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Fan since: I moved to Houston to attend U of H at the start of the Phi-Slama-Jamma years. I loved that team and it spilled over into the Rockets even though the Rockets were going through a tough stretch since trading Moses.

First Rocket Jersey: No jersey's just TShirts. I still wear a sleeveless 94 champ shirt to the pool that my wife hates.

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Standing outside in the middle of summer in a cheap 3 piece suit waiting for the parade to start - thanks Hakeem. Man that was unbearably hot.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: I've like players through the years but everyone is a distant 2nd next to Hakeem even though he did about kill me on that hot summer day.

First live Rockets game: I know I've seen earlier games but the earliest game I remember was Rockets vs Knicks - Hakeem vs Ewing. Ewing got owned...again. My last one was down front to watch Yao on a trip back to Houston. That might be my last live Rocket game. Closest team is the Hawks and for some reason I can't watch them.

17. throwedyung14

throwedyung14 Contributing Member

Nice. My first live Rockets game was Game 6 of that series. Won it to make the finals. Still remember vividly Kenny Smith's game clinching dunk to finish off the Jazz.

18. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

From: Houston, TX (Currently Living in Orange County, CA).

Fan since: It was 1986, 8 Years old.

Became a Rocket fan How: Would catch games with my dad and family friends on the TV and started to watch more and more.

First Rocket Jersey: Had a ton of shirts but didn't buy a jersey until my T-Mac hardwood classics throw back.

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: First championship against NY. I was in London visiting my family and had to watch the game at something like 3 in the morning live and remember jumping up and screaming waking the family up. They had no idea what I was feeling at that point.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Probably have to go with Scola these days. He surpassed a lot of my other favorites with his work ethic.

First live Rockets game: Remember my dad taking me to the Denver Nuggest vs Rockets at the Summit. That was in 1987, I still remember that there was basically no security and by the time the game was about to end I was practically standing on the floor near the benches.

19. amaru

amaru Member

From:I'm a former military brat, from some of everywhere

Fan since: 2004

Became a Rocket fan How: I didn't seriously start watching basketball around 2002 and the first all star level player I watched play was......Tracy McGrady. So I followed the Magic and subsequently the Rockets once he was traded here. Over time, I grew to like the team...not just Tracy..and after he was shipped to NY I remained a fan of this team.

First Rocket Jersey: Yao Min. '94-'95 swingman

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Second round of the playoffs

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Yao Ming

First live Rockets game: When they came to ATL the season before the 22 game win streak, Yao was hurt so it was just McGrady and company.

20. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Fan since: I wish I could remember

Became a Rocket fan How: Was blessed with dad who had season tickets, went to at least 30 or 40 games until about 2000.

First Rocket Jersey: Hakeem red and yellow, first of many

Most Memorable Rocket Moment: Sitting next to Robert Horrys daughter (who was my age) and high fiving robert horry before almost every game. I was so young (5 or 6) that we would spend a lot of the game playing instead of watching the game. Have a lot of signed robert horry stuff.

Aside from Hakeem, favorite Rocket player: Robert Horry (because of personal memories) and then Tracy McGrady. Loved the 22 game win streak and 13 points in one minute against the spurs.

First live Rockets game:I don't remember, but I do remember the first time I saw MJ play (we won... I am sure if I did the research I could figure out when it was)... and I was at games regularly in my red and yellow as a young kid.