1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Young Rose Bush

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by giddyup, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Two different positions. QBs rushing gets neutralized in the NFL. RBs who run for 1,000 yards in college often still run for 1,000 yards in the NFL.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i hope this is sarcasm.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Bush vs. Young: A couple points to consider.

Just an outsider opinion (I've got no Bush/Young/Texans connection). But the way I see it, these two are pretty much a coin flip (with Young getting the edge due to being a Texas god), except with one major cavet. If the Texans end up hiring Kubiak and they install the Denver offense, then you gotta draft Bush. Bush + Denver's running scheme would be the biggest slam dunk pick since Tim Duncan. Why? Because the Denver running game is absolutely tailored to Bush's strengths.

That scheme is all about running east/west, stretching the defense and either getting to the corner or finding a cutback lane. Denver's running game can plug in any running back and have some success. But you put a talent like Bush back there and we're talking Terrell Davis-like production (which turned out pretty well for the Broncos, to the tune of two Superbowl rings).

And to those who think Bush's speed to the outside won't translate to the NFL, just remember that Priest Holmes (even if we disregard his pass catching) was pretty much the top running back in the league 3 years running by just being able to hit the edges. And Bush is definitely faster than Holmes. Either way (Kubiak or no Kubiak), Bush is going to be a great pro.

Regarding Vince Young, the comparison someone made about him being a skinnier McNair is very apt. He definitely reminds me of a young McNair when Wychek was his primary target. Young has, as everybody has noticed, a horrid throwing motion. That being said, he does have pretty good accuracy on the underneath stuff. And he's got tremendous poise, leadership, and running ability, which are the biggest things that McNair brought to the table during his Superbowl run. And obviously Young is a much more dangerous runner.

Guys have succeeded in the NFL on much less before. Jeff Garcia made the Pro Bowl and reached the playoffs, and he threw as many ducks as anybody. Rich Gannon had a better arm, but he still led his team to a Superbowl with a dink and dunk offense.

I'm willing to bet that if you put Young in the right offense (a ball control, short passing game, with his running ability being a constant x-factor) he can definitely be a success in the league. He's got all the intangibles and is a hometown hero so that a huge bonus.

So there you go. If you bring in Kubiak and the Denver Offense then draft Bush and don't look back, because he'll be awesome. Otherwise, I'd probably go for Young with his "big game" play (as well as "big play" game), poise under pressure, and local connections.

Either way, you don't lose. Unless the organization does something stupid like trading down and grabbing that Brick guy.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice post, but I think Reggie Bush doesn't like to get hit and runs out of bounds too much for the Denver style of offense.

DD