1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Young Rose Bush

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by giddyup, Jan 4, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ok..and Reggie Bush's best game came against Fresno State. we can go round and round on that.

taking a player in the NFL is ALWAYS a risk. you look at potential.

Vince Young is a freak. The comparison is Mike Vick. Vince Young ALREADY goes through his progressions better than Mike Vick ever has.

Vince Young would touch the ball on every play. I'm concerned about exactly how many touches Reggie will ever get. Hell, in the biggest game of the season, USC focused on getting the ball to White...not Bush..when they needed a big conversion. That scares the hell out of me. We're gonna use a #1 pick on a guy his college team won't go to when they need it most?

2. MadMax

i bet we could get a 2nd rounder for carr. there are lots of teams desperate for a guy with the potential carr has...who also has a bit of experience to draw on.

but i agree...you couldn't get the saints to take him. when matt leinart steps on the field for the NO Saints, he will instantly be the 2nd best QB in their franchise's history.

3. Howyalikemenow

I'm still riding my VY-high, so I'm all for snagging Young with the #1 pick. It'd be the best move for the Texans to get people back in the seats. Besides the fact he ran for 200 yards and threw for almost 300!!! 200 yards is simply awesome for a RB, but he did as a QB... and on USC!!

Gotta love Corsa for making the call after the game to trade Carr and draft Young. :D

GO HORNS!!!

4. Howyalikemenow

Just read this in the Chronicle:

While defensive end Gary Walker kept his eye on Bush, he couldn't help but marvel at Texas quarterback Vince Young.

"It was the Vince Young show," Walker said of the Texas quarterback, who scored the game-winning touchdown. "Damn, if he comes out, he should be the No. 1 pick in the draft. What an athlete. Bush is a great player, too, but I don't think he's better than Vince Young. Young was the best player on the field. I mean he made so many good plays throwing and running."

----------------------------

Ha, I bet Carr likes hearing that. :p

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Well I'm not saying Bush is the best player either. I'm not hung up on either one becasue I've seen too many college stars who wind up never making the league, so my enthusiasm is always tapered when it comes to hyping college players.

Yes I agree, Vince seems to have a better head on his shoulders then Vick did when he was at VaTech. The throwing mechanics though, ugh. Is he supposed to have a strong arm, cuz I havent seen it yet. the difference between his throws and Matt's is like watching high school QB versus a Pop Warner QB.

6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Texan fan needs to consider that maybe the team doesn't go to the Superbowl next season.

Draft Young if possible for 2-3 seasons down the road.

How many players like him come around?

It's not like V. Young is going to tear up the league passing his first season. He may be like Steve McNair as far as struggling with NFL defenses.

But believe me McNair, Cunningham, Vick, McNabb- none of them have the combination of size, strength, speed, elusiveness, health, and confidence that are packaged in Young- he really looks freakish one of a kind.

I still like Bush, he's really fast, but what else does V. Young have to do before he makes us all believers? I think he will take it to the NFL.

7. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

I think that you're worrying about the throwing mechanics more than you should. When we drafted Carr, he had the sidearm mechanics and we tried to change him. To this day, he still throws sidearm.

Why would you want to change the mechanics of a QB that just led the nation in QB Efficiency? All that matters to me is if the ball gets to receiver. I don't care how pretty it looks. Vince can make all the throws. He has touch on the short passes, can thread the needle, and has incredible arm strength to throw the long bomb.

He may get a couple of balls knocked down a the line of scrimmage because of his throwing motion but to me, he's going to be the type of NFL QB that won't be in the pocket too long (bootlegs, playaction) anyways.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd like to thank VY for making me worry about the next 3 months... I have no idea who to pick or how to pick them now. I want them both, let's trade the whole team for them.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

You usage of David Carr in that example is better than anyhting I can come up with to defend my position :D

The NFL game is a different game than the college game. What works in college doesn't work against the pros. He has great vision and speed, but unless his throws start resembling a real QB motion, he'll be nothing more than a bigger Vick

10. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

They didn't go him on that 4th down play because White is their short yardage back. He is bigger, more powerful and built to hammer out a couple of yards. White is USC's Jerome Bettis. And, it the freaking championship. You do what is working the best to win. Texas was focused on stopping Bush. Did we hear about anyone simulating White in Texas' practices? No. Texas was throwing out their speed defense which opened up the middle for White. You can't blame a player for the coach not utilizing him enough.

As for Young, he is a great, unbelievable talent. Everyone keeps comparing him to Vick but I think that is a misperception. I think he is much more in the mold of Steve McNair. That's not by no means a knock on Vince because we can see McNair (in his prime) was MUCH MORE complete and better QB than Vick is and mat ever be. Young's running ability is scary, but I don't think he has the speed or shiftiness of a Vick. Young has great excelleration and his hard to tackle, but he is not as elusive. We have all seen how this type of QB (Vick, McNair, McNabb) has faired in the NFL. They take a lot of pounding and their bodies start to break down. This would be my ONLY worry about Young at the next level.

As for Bush, I don't see why everyone is jumping off his bandwagon. He showed enough to me last night. Everyone says that was a bad game for him, yet he still had almost 200 combined yards. The TD run was amazing and I don't think I've EVER seen anyone do that, like that before. But, the run that showed me the type of player he can be was a 10 yrd. run in the 1st quarter. He ran behind the tackle, broke it outside and then ran over the DB as he went out of bounds. Even the broadcasters said he looked like a combination of Barry Sanders and Walter Payton on that play. The only concern I have for him is the mental aspect of his game. After that fumble, he REALLY let it get him down.

In terms of the argument about the Texans' #1 pick, it's tough. Both have the capabilities to be unbelievable players in the NFL. Both are easily #1 pick guys. We should all be happy, as Texan fans, that we will have one of these guys on our team next year.

11. MadMax

mogrod --

my concern for bush wasn't on that ONE play. it was down that down the stretch, he didn't touch the ball. in the most crucial junctures of the game, he didn't touch the ball. they went away from him. i was already concerned about how many touches he'd get in the NFL. i'm more concerned about it now, than ever.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's so hard to tell because Carr has so little time...but it's hard to make the argument, experience aside, that Carr is a better pro prospect than either Young or Leinhart...or Bush, for that matter.

13. MadMax

i like david carr a lot. i think he has loads of potential. i've defended him here like crazy. david carr is not VY.

14. rhester

The more I think about the circumstances-

Houston Texans- HAVE the #1 draft pick
    Vince Young would probably love to play at home
    Vince Young would probably come out if he KNEW he would go #1

I am going to be really bummed if we don't exploit this situation and get Vince Young as our QB.

D. Carr can fetch a 2nd-4th round pick.

Bob McNair- Just Do It

15. msn

msn Member

Wouldn't you be sticking Young behind that same "beast"?

I wish the Texans could get Bush *and* D'Brick.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

For sure...so then you hae to ask yourself does QB matter as much...you know, the argument that average NFL QB's win Superbowls, too.

But obviously, QB is very important. Great QB's make dynasties...mediocre ones can win Superbowls, but the rest of the team has to be so superior.

Makes you think you have to try and get Young. But trading the pick for multiple players/picks probably helps us the most.

17. rhester

yes, but I saw which one broke tackles last night, a must in the NFL. :)

18. rhester

I like carr also, but it's a business (BTW- Vince's mom was saved 7 yrs ago, since she has been calling regular VY for prayer and Bible reading- so my UT-alum brother tells me this morning- he's pretty reliable and tight with the program)

So when you start the www.draftvinceyoung.com site I'll donate to your tipjar :)

19. MadMax

i understand. but the colts don't pass up on taking manning. you don't pass up on that kind of talent because some teams haven't needed it to win a championship. every team is different.

with young it's on the field and off. i don't think the texans, either as a football team or a football organization, can afford to pass up on VY.

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Theres an NFL expert on Cold Pizza claimng he talked to Casserly.

He is saying Casserly said that they are not taking a QB. And that him and Reeves believe that Carr has not been coached properly.