1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Young black man jailed since April for alleged $5 theft found dead in cell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I thought this is somewhat fitting here. Let the punishment fit the crimes. I like to see more of this behavior. There is a danger of over board, but I think it's better than the current system of just lock everyone up.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Oops..

http://abc13.com/news/judge-uses-unusual-punishments-to-keep-people-out-of-jail/964840/

3. axstar713

axstar713 Member

I think what he is doing is a good start to initiating a change in the mindset of people coming into his court, instead of just sitting in jail they can provide something positive that might make them think and break-up their mindset that led them to commit the crime in the first place. I thought it was fitting he ordered the woman who bailed on a 30-mile cab ride to walk 30 miles lmao

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"House arrest" for someone with a pattern of criminal behavior with a diagnosed mental condition that isn't beat treated adequately? Not an option.

That's so adorably naive. Thank you for posting it, you might not believe me, but it made my day.

LOL

[​IMG]

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'd like to see what his recidivism rate was prior to his creative sentences. Painesville is apparently quite a small town as well so there's a lot more public shame effectiveness in closer knit communities.

On a larger scale it would be nice if there minor crimes had community service and/or education requirements in lieu of jail time.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure there was a judge in Houston that would do weird sentences at one point. I remember seeing a kid that couldn't have been more than 20 wearing a sign that said something like "I tried to steal ____ from ____" or something like that outside of the Astrodome on Kirby either for a football game or the Rodeo when there was just a ton of traffic.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, Ted Poe. He was a clown trying to make a name for himself and now he's actually a Congressman. I guess it worked.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How hard is it to consider that if he's been certifiably crazy before, there must've been some breakthrough to make him eat or take his meds?

Getting the doctor or administrator he knew would've been a start. Or even his loved ones who could've given better guidance as he started slipping away. Had he been sent to the hospital in time, they would've handled the issue with his hunger strike. Prisons fall under different practices and are ill equipped for this.

Typical weird question with less than significant value.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is there any evidence that he tried to starve himself to death before?

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does it matter?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, yeah, if you are suggesting that they got him to eat before.....I mean it's only relevant if he tried to starve himself to death in the past and they found a way to talk him out of it. This very well could have been his only attempt at starving himself to death.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is that incredibly naive? How much experience do you have with counseling the mentally ill? From what I've read it doesn't sound like too much.

If it made your day then great, but the fact that you think things like this don't happen is what's silly, not the idea that I addressed the problem with things that counselors do all the time.

#132 FranchiseBlade, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  13. cml750

cml750 Member

Black lives matter!! I agree wholeheartedly!!! The question is when should I be outraged????

From my observations from reading this forum and mainstream media:

When I should be outraged
    -

1) When a white man kills a black person then I should be outraged
    2) When a cop shoots a black person, whether it is justified or not, I should be outraged.
    3) If a black person dies while in police custody or incarcerated then I should be outraged

When I should look the other way -

1) When a black person kills another black person then I should just ignore it
    2) When a pregnant black woman decides to kill the baby in her womb, I should ignore it.

I think I am finally starting to understand!!!!!!

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

...come again? It's "hard to tell who's responsible?"

I get that failures of bureaucracy happen, but like... seriously? That is in no way an acceptable answer.

And "couldn't explain why he wasn't given the opportunity to be released on bail?" Again... REALLY? Give a reason. Any reason. Even a bad one.

I mean, just forget the racial proponent of this for a second. There's no reason anyone, on any part of the ideological spectrum, should be okay with either of those answers. Absolutely ridiculous.

Could they give those answers and keep their jobs if the kid had had rich parents? I doubt it.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure there are rules against letting mentally ill prisoners with a history of criminal actions out into the public. I'm pretty sure we'd be asking "WHY WOULD THEY RELEASE HIM!!!!!!!" if he was to hurt someone after being released.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Just like there are rules about prisons giving inmates proper medical attention if they need it.

Letting the mentally ill person die w/o ever giving him the proper medical attention he needs (i.e. professional help) is a complete failure on the prison system.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They made attempts to medicate the guy, and they tried to give him food. Also important to remember is that this is a really small town. There's only so many resources at their disposal.

18. Drexlerfan22

That's not my point. My point is the court, the cops, and the prison were all asked, and they mustered up... nothing. No reason at all. If they'd said "because he was mentally ill, and so was ineligible," then fine. "Meh, who knows" is NOT fine. We pay these people's salaries.

Having no earthly idea who was supposed to get him to the hospital is even worse.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not the kind of thing you want to go on the record about. At some point, there will be an official statement and that's when answers will be given. I imagine a situation when you have a mentally incompetent criminal and no space in the mental hospital is pretty rare. In a real city you probably wouldn't have this issue, but out in the sticks there are limited resources.

This was sort of a perfect storm of a suicidal mentally incompetent criminal with a full mental hospital out in the sticks.

20. Drexlerfan22

"It's hard to tell who's responsible for it" isn't what you say when you don't want to go on record about something. Examples of that would be "we're unable to comment on that at this time" or "the matter is pending an internal investigation."

I don't see how any reasonable person can take that comment to mean anything besides "our processes are completely broken," and/or "no one around here cares enough to take responsibility for the health of those in our care."

Also note the first part I cited, where the hospital didn't have any record that any request was ever made to have him transferred at all, or that there was a shortage of beds.