1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Young black man jailed since April for alleged $5 theft found dead in cell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Would you prefer to privatize police and prison guards?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think there's a role for it.

But not necessarily. Just saying we should be more skeptical of government power.

I mean, if they can barely run the DMV I doubt they can run a prison system well.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not about value. It's about the unalienable rights of man, starting with the right to live, coupled with doctor's Hippocratic Oath to treat all lives the same.

Do you agree or disagree with the second sentence of the Declaration of Independence and the Hippocratic Oath?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Conservatives don't hate the gov't, they hate liberals in gov't.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What do either of those things have to do with this instance of a crazy person refusing to eat or take medication? This is effectively a suicide.

Also but unrelated, it's important that all 3 of those "inalienable" rights mentioned in the Declaration of Independence can be in fact, taken from you by courts of law. When you are given a death penalty, they take your right to life, when you are arrested or detained you lose your right to liberty, and in both cases you lose your right to the pursuit of happiness.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lawsuits a comin. People gonna get paid, and more people gonna get fired. Problem still remains.

The apathy from some here is sickening yet unsurprising. Maybe an even ****tier system coming from this will open some people's eyes.

I hope so.

7. heypartner

You brought up the valuing each life differently, not me.

I said measuring the value of one life to the next is not what the Declaration of Independence says nor Hippocratic Oath. You avoided my question, per usual.

And btw, Thomas Jefferson spells the word "unalienable." Even after I spelled it correctly, you misspelled it and quoted the misspelling. smh Get it right next time, umkay.

[​IMG]

You really are not that great of a debater Bobby. Certainly not in my class. Your problem is you try to debate every topic, and don't know when an expert on a subject is in the room with you. That's immaturity.

#47 heypartner, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, none of that has relevance to this case, this was effectively a suicide. The only person that devalued Jamycheal Mitchell's life was him. He's the one that refused to take his meds, he's the one that refused to eat.

Bringing up irrelevant nonsense can't change that.

The words are interchangeable and still irrelevant to this thread.

LOL, that's cute.

9. heypartner

Still avoiding the fact you brought up the notion of each life has a different value.

Still not explaining why you quoted "inalienable", as if to correct my spelling, when that is not how it's spelled in the DoI.

You're just not all that that you think you are, dude.

And it's so cute of you to think you are.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, so you're just going to keep going on like the crazy guy on the bus talking to himself?

What is the relevance of anything you've said as it relates to this thread?

How is my choice of the more accepted "inalienable" vs "unalienable" relevant to this thread? You do know they mean literally the same thing right?

Forcing people to weed through irrelevant nonsense doesn't hide the fact that you have no point quite as well as you might think it does.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Sad news. Ultimately, I think the family holds the most responsibility for his well-being. With his rap sheet and history, the family knows he has a tendency for theft and landing himself in jail for periods at a time, so they should have gotten him help for his issues. The family didn't take his mental health seriously.

The state did try to send him to a hospital for help. The family was unable to have contact with him due to some bureaucracy with him not stating any approved visitors. For a person with mental issues, who wasn't competent to stand trial, that has to change to allow legal guardians to make decisions for him.

What he stole or the amount it totaled shouldn't matter when you've been arrested and jailed for it multiple times. Again, his family should try better to prevent him from being in those kinds of situations.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely a sad case. I wonder how many of those talking about lack of mental health attention would support increase in govt. healthcare spending in order to deal with the problem.

As far as him dying in his cell it's wrong. In regards to that issue, it doesn't matter what he did. While in custody that should not happen.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Should they have force fed him with a feeding tube? When they were doing that at Gitmo to the guys on hunger strike, people weren't too happy about it. I think the guy has the right to starve himself to death if he so chooses.

14. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Is a mentally ill person "choosing" to starve himself?

The issue seems to be the inability to get the person into a hospital or into the custody of a legal guardian if it was determined he was not mentally fit.

15. Invisible Fan

Texans harboring thoughts on executing the mentally ill is not a foreign concept.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one was executed in this case...c'mon try to keep up.

17. Invisible Fan

They let him rot and die in their own cells.

Real professional behavior there.

Some comments here are following that same mindset.

I think you can catch onto that.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As opposed to what? Forcing a tube down his throat while he's tied to a bed?

19. Invisible Fan

How about bringing in a physician, giving him the meds he needed to be a functioning person, then proceed from there? They would've had his chart and history by then, like 3-4 days after detainment or 1-2 from the "hunger strike". So many more things open up afterwards.

Just because the hospital couldn't receive him doesn't mean all options were out.

And if the prison was truly as hamfisted and bluntly incompetent as your imagination is alluding to, then I'll welcome the lawsuit and all the details that'll surface between the prison and hospital.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was given meds, he refused to take them, again we are back to tying him to a bed and forcing things on him. Anyway, I know it's a gray area, but forcing meds on people and forcing a tube down their throat if they refuse food is grounds for a pretty brutal lawsuit as well.