1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Young black man jailed since April for alleged $5 theft found dead in cell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 30, 2015.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

No. That would be a case for actual outrage. This is just race baiters race baiting. The person's race has nothing to do with the story, nor really does the fact that the theft was for $5 of merchandise. The story has some connection to the under funding of mental health care in the United States (lack of available beds at the state hospital), but is mostly just about a crazy moron acting like a crazy moron. It isn't as though he was not being treated for his mental health issues though, he was being provided his medication, he just refused to take it.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Yes it does... Because the tax payers are being billed for every day that person stayed in jail for the theft of 5 bucks worth of merchandise.

Locking people up for excessive time for a petty crime just to make money.

3. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

Cool. Where do you live? I'm coming to take 5 dollars worth of item from your house. It's no big deal.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't know the statutes in Virginia, but in California petty theft is punishable by up to 6 months in county jail and a fine of up to $1000 or both. So four months is not excessive time. Perhaps it would be better if there were some cheaper alternative available, like corporal punishment, but in America today we have a limited number of punishments available for crimes.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What the ****.

Do people understand the value of a life? The value of living in this world, the value of a son, a cousin, a nephew and a friend? Do you understand that he has loved ones and how hard it is for them to loose him, do you understand that he just lost his life due to 5 dollars worth of theft.

The whole idea that you have to contribute positively to this man mad society or else you would be better dead is ridiculous. There is no bright side to a young man unnecessarily dying, it's a tragedy.

6. Remii

Remii Member

That's not the point I'm making here but you're more than welcome to try. But tell your mom to buy a black dress and tell your friends to get ready to be pallbearers before you show up.

In this situation... That's something that could be worked off instead of punishing the tax payers.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bahaha... you guys really just have no ability to think past your close minded, hateful attitudes.

Glensta, would you rather spend $20,000 putting a guy in prison for stealing $5 worth of stuff or would you rather spend $10,000 giving that person treatment and a place to stay to prevent him from stealing $5 worth of stuff?

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For $5? More than 1 week is excessive IMO.

These type of policy cause our mass incarceration issue in the US. I'm not even sure if such policy yield much of any return either. We might be not only wasting money, but wasting money for the heck of nothing much.

9. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

I like how you try to change the subject of this thread from racial to mental health.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'll tell you what, you can take 5 bucks for me and I promise that I would never kill over it or hold you hostage in my basement for 4 months. Because it's 5 dollars, and it is no big deal.

1 person likes this.
  11. CometsWin

Uh, if you actually read the article, it clearly states that he was found not competent to stand trial and was referred to a mental health facility. He was also being given anti-psychotic medication. The fact that he was black given the state of policing in this country just underscores how little they gave a damn about this guy's life.

But again, you fail to answer the question because you don't know anything about anything. You'd rather spend twice the money to lock up a "criminal" than get the guy help and keep him out of prison. We know... we know.

12. Remii

Remii Member

They can't see that it's the tax payers that suffer more because they are paying to create jobs because of the excessive laws on the books... But they will complain about spending 35 bucks a year in taxes for food stamps.

13. CometsWin

Yes, the same types of people that claim they support the troops and attack food stamps programs when there are actually service people on food stamps to support their families. It's just callous ignorance really.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

curious what the stats are for young bipolar/schizos dying in county mental health facilities.

Don't mean this as a debate on the OP. I'm just genuinely curious what happens to these kids when in "better" care.

15. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

You're the one who made it into a racial issue

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not every life is as valuable as the next. I would argue that this person's life wasn't all that valuable....so much so that he threw it away.

17. Remii

Remii Member

All of that money taxpayers dish out to the DoD and there's military personnel who serve the country have to be on welfare. That's ridiculous and even more ridiculous that people aren't paying attention to the shyt that's going on.

18. CometsWin

My posting the article didn't make it a racial issue. The fact that it was a mentally ill black guy dying in prison in America made it a racial issue.

Try reading the article Glensta. I know you're all about sound bytes, Facebook posts, and tweets but try actually reading something longer than 140 characters for once.

19. CometsWin

They don't care dude. It's all red, white, and blue lip service. It's embarrassing.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Contradictory that conservatives trust government when it comes to arresting and jailing people.