1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You realize harden is our point guard right?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IBTL, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

He did get guard help... Eric Gordon.
    If he stays relatively healthy, then it'll pay huge dividends.

He needs help with another ball handler, shot creator, etc.... Not necessarily a traditional PG.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This thread makes me wonder whatever happened to the T-MAC IS NOT A POINT FORWARD!!! guy. I miss that guy.

3. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cEoMRK1A8r8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Weak court vision

4. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QbMOVpTqnh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No ability to set up his teammates.

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Man. Whole lot of wrong in here.

7. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Almost like he's not a Rockets fan or barely watches them play.

8. bongman

bongman Member

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've watched nearly every Rocket game since 1994 (with the exception of the 2000-2001 season, when I lived outside Houston). I'm a huge Rockets fan but that doesn't prevent me from looking at its players objectively.

A couple of over the back highlight passes against piss-poor defenses does nothing to counter the fact that Harden lacks the court vision, passing ability and discipline to act as a defacto PG for this team. A PG has direct the offense every game, and there are too many games (especially in the playoffs) where top notch defenses reduce James to dribbling at the top of the key unable to do anything but take the shot himself. That doesn't mean he sucks or that we should trade him (though I find him to be a dubious franchise player for other reasons) but expecting him to run our offense is setting both him and our team up for failure. Better to get a true floor general who can get the other players (including Harden) easier shots.

Unfortunately management seems to believe Harden can be the Nash in a Dantoni system. I can only hope that those responsible for enabling this delusion are fired when it fails.

10. dwhite

dwhite Member

God bless you Subtonic for your good common sense commentary.....same thing here, watched every Rockets game for last couple decades and constantly get bashed for pointing out the truth. Hang in there....the truth shall set you free :)

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I find it funny that Harden only fans go around telling long time Rockets fans in here that they aren't real fans or don't watch the games. It's hilarious really.

My view on Harden is that he is just fine running the offense, MVP level really, when he's in shape. Not Chris Paul or Steve Nash level, but much better scoring and much better than average court vision. I haven't seen any evidence he's in shape though.

12. dwhite

dwhite Member

Remember the game NBA jam??? This year's squad would have the two players as Harden and Bev or Ariza or Anderson. Not quite championship material. I disagree that you necessarily need three stars to win a championship, but we don't even have two. Thought the great cap space we had could get us more than what it did. We have basically turned into the Pelicans of last year. I am perplexed at how we are going to get the cap room or assets at this point to ever get back into championship consideration (down the road).

13. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

"A couple of over the back passes".... I only posted one such.... And once again... You don't watch enough or you have a bias if that's what you think. Or at least re-watch the last four years cuz you just stated Harden doesn't have court vision.... Is a mediocre creator.... And can't create quality shots for his teammates... That's all inherently false. :rolleyes:

Those were three very different kinds of passes of the many he's capable of making.... The type Harden has made often... He is an elite playmaker.

He can make all the passes.... Name me one other non PG that can make those passes period or with any regularity.... LeBron and that's it. Many PGs can't make all those passes.

You have no evidence to the contrary and you're missing the key point. He has to create the majority of his own offense and also the majority of everyone else's offense on the team without any other legit ball handlers, shot creators, or playmakers on the team. Name me another PG in that situation much less player? You can't.

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Using actual facts to make your point which I did and he clearly did not... doesn't make you a Harden Only Fan.... It makes you logical.

I do agree with you on the second paragraph as that's been proven to be true.... Now on his shape idk... We'll see when the season starts.

15. Rocketeer4Life

Harden is severely lacking in hockey/ secondary assists which the elite pure point guards do. Hockey/ secondary assists are what makes GS and SA elite offensive teams.

16. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L1ny9wpeg4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is more routine playmaking from Harden.... PnR passing, pocket pass, and across the court pass off a flare screen.

You can go through numerous games showing his greatness as a playmaker.

I intentionally haven't even tried to show clips of his transition playmaking or fastbreak passes where he also excels.... Just to show he can do it all as a playmaker... Ya know for the low ball IQ clutchfan posters out there.

17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You know what helps that? Other ball handlers, shot creators, and playmakers.... And guess what? Those teams all have multiple of them and multiple quality passers.

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Oh and COACHING

19. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your tiny sample sizes of excerpts prove nothing. And anyone who says James is great on the fast break at passing is on drugs. He's great at finishing but passing - egad you truly don't understand basketball.

I'm done with you.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think coaching will make a difference. I disagree that McHale's system was bad for Harden, it was tailored to him. Lots of pnr, spacing, running on the break, open 3s, etc

If dantoni expects harden to get 12 assists and move like crazy off the ball, I think he will be disappointed.