1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You know what's really good?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrianKagy, Nov 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Absolut Mandarin. I always thought that was a p***y drink, but I had one (no, really, only one) Sunday before last and it was actually pretty good.

Used to have a prejudice against vodka that stemmed from a high school run-in with Kamchatka, "Cheapest Vodka In Worldski, Comrade!" But if you can fork over $22 for a fifth of this stuff, it's actually not too bad.

And several big gulps of it make the BBS tolerable.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

well, i am underage, but because u said that. I think ill go get some. You have just aided a minors drinking.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm a big Vodka fan, and with a little Mandarin flavor it makes for a good mixer in drinks. As for the rocks, I prefer some scotch or whiskey (maybe with a little water if it is very heavy). Gin and tonics (or vodka tonics) make good cocktail hour drinks.

LAtely I've been drinking a lot of Black & Tans. They just seem to have a great mix of light/dark. There is a good microbrewery up here in Philly called Yuengling that makes extremely good, cheap, microbrewery beer - they alos premake a back&tan version of their own that is tasty.

4. Timing

Timing Member

Okay, I'll ask. What's a p***y drink? :D

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And where's Ali Cat again?

;)

6. treeman

treeman Member

I have recently decided that a Long Island Iced Tea would be healthier than a beer. I am pondering a beer diet. Well, I've already decided that I'll do one, I just don't have any ideas on alternatives...

BTW, Black & Tans and Boddingtons are what made me a fatbody in the first place, so they're not an option.

What high-alcohol content drink will not get me fat?

(I'm actually serious about this)

7. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

All alcoholic drinks are empty calorie drinks, meaning u get calories but no other nutritional benefit from them. Basically if u drink alchohol and have a slow metabolism, you'll gain wait. Alcohol does give u 7 cal/gram so the energy is there, maybe u should go out and run a couple of miles after every drink

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Actually, red wine is good for you. Lot of antioxidants. I read that one glass of red wine has as many antioxidants as 32 glasses of orange juice.

I've never been too much on liquor. I'm a beer man...always have been. I do like red wine though.

9. treeman

treeman Member

You guys are missing the point... or maybe I am.

What I'm really wondering is if a change from beer to mixed drinks/liquor will have a corresponding weight loss - all else being equal.

Is it the protien content in beer, or is it the excess water, or does it depend, etc... Those are the things I'm curious about.

I want to lose about 10-15 lbs fairly quickly, but I don't want to quit drinking totally. I've already cut out red meat :mad: and cigarettes :cool:...

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I've decided that losing weight isn't really worth it if you have to give up the things you like.

I like eating red meat, cheese, bacon, and the like. I also like to drink. I'm not an alcoholic as I can do without it as much as I can do with it. I'd like to lose weight, but I also know that you only live once...so since I like these things, I'll continue to do them while doing other things that might keep me in shape.

11. treeman

treeman Member

That's all nice and dandy, but the Army wants me to lose 4 pounds within the next couple of months I think. I want to lose more (10-15lbs) so I don't die in Basic. I'm 28 years old. I have been staring at a computer for 10 years... Running 5 miles ain't gonna be easy anymore for me. I've got the muscle structure, but my endurance/conditioning is shot...

Anyone have any serious weight loss techniques that don't involve going totally dry? They'll do that to me in Basic, anyway, but I want to take advantage of my freedom while I can... And still lose a few pounds. Any serious ideas?

12. Timing

Timing Member

I don't know what type of beer you drink but you could mix in some water with the beer and probably not lose too much flavor, depending on the beer. I mix half water and half OJ to cut down on calories, plus it makes the OJ last longer. ;)

13. treeman

treeman Member

... Not really looking to water down my beer. More looking to replace my beer. But Thx anyway...

14. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Very true lynus, I guess I should have made an exception, but in my over-zealous attempt in replying about beer and hard liquor, I included all types of acohol as empty calories...my bad.

Actually treeman, how quickly is quickly? To lose permanent healthy weight will require patience, hardwork, and some discipline w/ your diet. If u try some fad diet that are harmful to your body but will make you lose weight, (fat, muscle and water), you will lose it quicker than if u were to try and lose it the right way, but the minute you go back to your normal eating patters whatever they are, you are most likely to gain back that weight and more.

I'm not condoning cigarettes but they are stimulants, like cafeine which basically speed up your body, thereby increasing your metabolism.

Honestly, u don't have to give up alcohol to be healthy but you have to make sacrifices in other areas if you want to lose weight and still drink some.

By the way, long island ice teas rule, as well as blue hawaiians and cop killers.

15. treeman

treeman Member

I want to lose fat. No muscle. More conditioning than anything else. Endurance (running) is my probem. The faster the better...

I gained about 12 lbs when I stopped smoking, which kinda pissed me off (even though I knew it would happen). But at least I can run again... I'm hoping that extra weight will disappear with exercise.

I live on a rather large hill and have been walking up and down it about 3-5 times a day. I also walk about a mile a day on level ground. Every 3-4 days I ride my bike around town (maybe 12-14 miles). Pretty mild exercise, but I'm hoping enough..

What can I drink doing that, and still lose 10-15lbs? I know I can lose the weight doing that (I have a naturally high metabolism)...

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Treeman--

It's true that all alcohol has empty calories, but not all are created equal. Two drinks may have the same alcohol content, but if one has more unfermented sugars, it will have the most calories. You want to look for a "dry" alcohol. A dry beer will have less unfermented sugars than, say...a stout. A cabernet will have less unfermented sugars than a blush. Still, wine and beer will not be your best options. 80 proof and above liquors will be your best choice, and scotch is the dryest of all. Don't ruin it all though by mixing your liquor with something sweet like coke or juice. Use water or soda, or if you must, diet cola.

Learn to drink scotch. It is an aquired taste, but once you learn to like it, you won't want much of anything else. The best way to learn is to drink it with lots of water (which will have a benefit in itself). As you learn to appreciate the taste, you can cut back on the water. An added benefit to dryer liquors: slighter hangovers.

Your basic buddies will respect a scotch drinker.....of course, you'll be an old man there anyway.

17. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

****, I'd buy beer for you. How's that for aid?

A p***y drink is something where the taste of the alcohol's hidden so that p*****s can sip it without grimacing. ZIMA, white wine spritzers, and any of those extra-sweet, fruity, flowery drinks you see chicks holding on 6th Street qualify.

p***y drinks are also known as "girl drinks" but as I'm not out to offend anyone, I chose a different sobriquet.

How in the hell am I supposed to get drunk if I stop in the middle of drinking and exercise? No offense but that's a terrible idea.

Lot easier on the bladder, too.

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I justed wanted to annouce that I have been sober for 18 days now and I feel great! Twenty-one years of drinking, and I finally had enough. Sobriety is cool.

19. davo

davo Contributing Member

treeman, here are my suggestions. Its all about calories in vs calories out. Eat less/better, and exercize more - you should be able to safely lose 1 to 2 pounds per week without any extreme diets.

The average male can can consume between 2000-2400 calories per day and maintain their weight. In order to lose weight, you reduce your nett calorifc intake below that (nett = calorie intake subtract exercize.)

Forget about alcohol - that is not really hurting you - try and drink light beers (100cals each can vs 150 cals for a regular) and definitely avoid mixers like regular coke or seven-up. I have diet coke with my bourbons.

Balance your daily meals -I usually eat light during the day, and allow myself up to 1200 cals for my night time meal, but if I have a big lunch, I sometimes have a Healthy Choice Hearty Portions Microwave meal - they are filling, tasty and only 200-300 calories. Avoid chocolate, icecream, butter, cheese, mayonaise, etc. Pay attention to the calrofic value of everything you eat.

Exercize is crucial, and the more you do, the more you can eat. If you are about to embark on Basic training, there is no use avoiding long runs. A 30 minute run will burn around 500 calories - it adds up quickly - just run slow and steady - walk intermittently if you have to, and build up your milage. If you can manage to run more than 10 miles, the body starts directly burning fat instead of other fuel source, and weight will fall off.

Of course, you cannot count calories all your life, but if you want to safely lose weight in a short time, it is the best way to do it. Avoid high fat foods as well - low cal does not always mean low fat. By being sensible about it, you can lose weight without sacrificing too much. I lost about 8 pounds in 4 weeks, with moderate running (12 miles per week) and watching calories, and still drank beer and went out to dinner/lunch 3 or 4 times a week.

20. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Brian,

Try the Absolute Mandarin with Red Bull.

Its awesome!

I heard somewhere it will kill you.....but i'm still alive
    after doing it all year long!