1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

**** you homeless man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by T-mac&Yao=RING, Sep 1, 2010.

1. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

I think it comes down to this:

You either believe in giving money to the homeless guy or not. If you don't, give your dirty look, think in your head "get a job" and move along. If you do, and your intention is to help him get something eat, then give him enough to get something to eat.

Either help, or don't.

Giving 80 cents is like giving a waiter a penny tip. People do that to either be a douchebag or to make a point about bad service. Saying "if he begs enough people the 80 cents will add up" is a slap in the face, especially when you know you have more to give.

Help - or don't. Giving the 80 cents means you're making a moral stand with a homeless person. And what's the point of that? So he'll learn a lesson? Yeah, that'll teach him.

2 people like this.
  2. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Wow didn't know they ran it like a business.

3. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I never give money to those losers who stand at the stoplights with their little signs asking for beer money. The only time I will give money is if a guy washes my windshield. At least they earned it.

4. VanityHalfBlack

I gave a homeless man a bar of soap, toothpaste, and mouth wash and I told him, "Go and clean yourself up!!!!

5. T-mac&Yao=RING

So if I can't give a homeless person what he or she wants I shouldn't give nothing that makes no sense. I always thought it was the thought that counts. If I'm taking money out of my pocket to help you I don't care how much it is be thankful because I could have just said no.

6. VanityHalfBlack

That's the irony.... One's working while the other is homeless begging for change in your pocket... If it's a homeless chick, it better be an oral presentation before getting a quarter in my pocket.. It sucks for a homeless guy because there is nothing he can do to please u unless he plays the violen or some ****...
    [​IMG]

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Giving 80 cents to a bum is like a slap in the face? lol. The guy is begging for money.

Giving a waiter a penny tip for actually providing you a service is a slap in the face. What is bum doing to earn anything?

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

he's probably mad because you can't buy anything for $.80...

but seriously, he got $ from you, he'll ask someone else and it'll add up for a nice cheap bottle of vodka...

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Interesting. What about the homeless guys who sit and masturbate to women in the park all day? Which category do they fall under?

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I remember seeing some hidden camera piece on the local news many years ago about those guys at intersections. They showed this one guy parking his Explorer a couple of blocks away, then begging at the intersection all day.

They filmed him all day long and estimated that he made about $100. They said he was out there 5 days a week, so he was averaging about $500/week, which comes out to about 24K/year, tax free of course. Maybe my math is wrong, but 24K a year tax free is like 30K a year before taxes.

So basically the guy was making 30K/year. Makes me wonder about the guy I see at the Allen Parkway/Studemont intersection every single day.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Imagine how Clutch feels when folks don't donate to the tip jar.

12. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Well, that's kind of the point.

If you feel like you do, that he's not doing anything to deserve it - then don't give him anything. Why are you giving him 80 cents? So you can be mad when he's disappointed that he STILL can't get anything to eat and not give you the "thanks bro" nod you want?

Why was the 80 cents given? To help? Or to make the giver feel better for not telling a homeless man "no" flat out? Because clearly, getting upset about not getting a "thank you" afterward makes it pretty clear it wasn't given as a way to get the guy something he might need.

Again, if you think he hasn't earned it - and should get a job, clean himself up, is a drag on society, etc. - just move along. 80 cents is pointless.

If I asked you to borrow some money so I could get some lunch and you gave me 80 cents, I'd probably roll my eyes at you. EITHER HELP OR DON'T. I'm not gonna get down on my knees and thank you just because now I only need to ask four more people for 80 cents each so I can get that value meal at Taco Bell.

I really hope some of you people never fall on hard times.

13. VanityHalfBlack

You can buy a glaze donut for that price at those mom and pop donut shops worldwide...

14. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I can't stand it when they run up and just start washing my windshield, it ends up being dirtier than it was before they started.

I worked on Fannin between downtown and the medical center near HCC, every day the same homeless people would come up and ask for money to get a ride "home" or for food. Every time i worked late, atleast one of them was sitting under our awning at my job, with a 32oz beer and/or drugs. After the first time i saw that i stopped giving them anything. I dont know how many times our facilities department would have to clean their crap (yes literally) off our building, or removed the drug needles off our company door steps.

I stopped carrying any cash once i started working there so i could use the excuse, i dont carry cash. It got to the point where i had to leave my cigarettes in my office, so i could say i only brought one down. I had a homeless person try to pat me down when i told him i didnt have any cigarettes on me.

It's ridiculous how much money our government will spend on trying to fix other countries when these same situations are happening all over our country.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

This. Saw a similar piece, maybe the same piece, on Local 2 investigates a few years back. Since then, has always made me suspicious. Call me a bad person if you will but I will not give back to them.

16. T-mac&Yao=RING

True because he's giving us a free site. But I donated last year and plan to again pretty soon.

17. Major

Major Member

Sure - a thank you is nice. But if you *expect* it and are angry if you don't get it, then your charity is actually you just wanting someone to appreciate you, rather than you actually wanting to help someone. Because the latter happens regardless of the thank you, and if you're still pissed, that's clearly not your motivation.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I gave him 80 cents so like why the **** ain't I got my search function an' ****, it's the thought that counts! I'm tryina edit these post!

I never give money to homeless guys. Not because I think they're scum who should stop bothering classy individuals like myself, but because giving them a couple bucks helps them little more than just giving them a beer. They aren't asking for food, they aren't asking for a bus ticket... they're asking for money. And I got my own drug problems to pay for, thank you very much!

The bums in Houston can be pretty aggressive sometimes and some will lay a pretty heavy rap on you if you let them. I try not to be rude, but I don't mind interrupting their spiel to tell them I don't have anything for them. Most are pretty cool about it when they realize you're no mark.

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

You'd think that someone with the moniker "T-mac&Yao=RING" would be a little better at admitting when he's wrong.

1 person likes this.
  20. cson

cson Contributing Member

I want to hit everybody all the time!

1 person likes this.