1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You guys remember the way we felt exactly 365 days ago?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch City1993, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Dude, we had game seven at home, and simply got caught by a hot team at the wrong time. Grow up. One fourth-quarter collapse does not justify your position.

Rudy Gay might become a really good player? Ok, well, he SHOULD, he was the 8th pick in the draft. Had we not had that trade in place, though, our guy was going to be Sefolosha anyway, so IT DOES NOT MATTER.

But Battier IS in fact a very good player, very good defensively on wing players, since you apparently have developed amnesia from the previous season, of how our most desperate need was for wing defense. This was why so many people were high on Ronnie Brewer, remember?

Just stop with this 'if we're going to lose in the first round EITHER WAY' crap. Unless you can predict the future, it's an idiotic assertion.

2. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

I believe our managements philosophy is if we are drafting anywhere between 2-20 the pick is either:

A) going to be arrested for threatening his gf by gunpoint.
    B) rear-end someone while masturbating in their suv.
    C) never make it out of europe
    D) both a and b.
    E) be bryce drew.

3. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

hence we might as well trade the pick for a known commodity...

4. therox3

therox3 Member

I was upset last night and remain to be upset today. However, I feel in the long run there wasn't much that we could get from the 26th pick. It was more of a shock if anything since most hadn't considered Brooks to be one of the players on our radar. We've known for over a week now that the rockets weren't going to draft for need so the non-selection of a PF shouldn't be such a slap in the face. Fazekas, Davis, and McRoberts were all still on the board but they were all pretty far from safe bets. These guys slipped and they slipped for good reasons.

Sure I'm mad but there's nothing we could have done in that situation to make things much better. It's not like we passed over Durant or anything.

Know I will return to my praying that Brooks can grow a few inches.

5. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I think you need to re-read my posts. I agree, hindsight is 20/20. But now we know that getting Battier didn't push us a level up.

The success of the deal was contingent upon us winning NOW, and we did not accomplish any more than we would've if Gay was on this team.

It's not about one fourth-quarter collapse. I don't care who we played.

Grasp this: Teams take risks. Those risks don't always pan out. So since the Battier deal was signed and co-signed as the "win now" move, then the fact that we got knocked out of round 1 WITH homecourt advantage points to one thing: the trade which mortgaged our future for a chance of success in the present was not a success.

I can't say it was a bad decision when the deal was made. Sure, I disagreed with it, but I would've felt terriffic about the trade had we at least made the 2nd round.

But that didn't happen. Our understandeable "hunch" that dealing for Battier would put us near the top teams was not what we thought it was. I've accepted that we needed to take a risk to win but OH SNAP, it didn't pan out. I don't care about what happened in the past. I let go of it. So you know what I see now? I look at the Memphis roster and the Houston roster and think "Hmmmm, I wish we had a solid young prospect who's bound to improve greatly this coming season."

Instead of holding onto these "intangibles" that I've heard so much about, we let go of the past and find ways to cut our losses caused by the risk we took.

Trade Battier. He's not needed on this roster and doesn't make it significantly better IMO.

6. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

a year ago i was disappointed..but i also had an open mind thinking battier would be good (mainly because i knew a lot more on battier better than gay)..This year im like wtf...UNLESS we are dealing for a PF..then this has got to be one of the sh!ttier drafts i can remember...so the two feelings between last year and this year is totally different.

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Just like last year, we had a great opportunity and squandered it. That's what I was upset about last year, and again this year. Unless we have the #1 pick in the draft, we have consistently sucked at drafting for years now.

I knew Battier would have some value. I just felt that we got the bad end of the trade. We had an opportunity to build our team with 2 pieces, even to trade for someone else, and we way overspent for Battier. If we had Rudy Gay and Swift right now, we could trade for a better player or for 2 players than what we can for Battier, since it looks like they want to trade him.

It's not just who we got with our draft picks. It's that we screwed up on various opportunities in the best draft and deepest draft in years. We could have bought 1st round picks ... we bought 2nd. We should have bought the PHO pick in advance, instead of waiting until the last minute, when someone else did. If we had, we could have Ike Diogu right now, or Rudy Fernandez or Morris Almond. We could have made the Head to LA trade, swapped picks, and grabbed Crittendon. I'd have taken Cook, if I knew we got Crittendon, instead of Brooks. We could have taken Splitter, McRoberts,Koponen, or Davis, instead of Brooks and Landry. We'll watch to see who turns out.

So, in the next few years, if we see we could have had Diogu, Crittendon, Splitter and Davis instead of Brooks and Landry ... that's how we'll judge this draft. This feels more like when we didn't take Lewis after telling everyone we would, and all of us sitting there stunned, and then watching over the years as we thought what could have been, even now. This feels like when we could have taken Clyde, but took McCray, when we could have traded up to get Stoudamire, but didn't want to let go of Eddie Griffin. We just keep doing stupid stuff in the draft year after year.

We do make some decent trades, though. So, maybe that will once again make up for how horrible we are in the draft. But, as usual at draft time ... opportunity lost. That's one of the reasons we probably trade our picks so often.

8. DreamRoxCoogFan

1- i loved the battier-gay trade, and still do.
    2- if you were gonna get a rox tattoo, why not get old school (I mean red-and-gold, not clownsuit)? this one is bound to change sometime in the future...

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yes I felt the same way last night but I still think that the Rockets were taken by Gerry West & Memphis!

10. SmitingPurpleEm

If it gives you any consolation, consider the fact that the Grizzlies were reduced to (futilely) tanking at the end of last season, ended with the worst record in the NBA, and now Jerry West is out of a job, while we won 52 games and made it to the playoffs where we had home court.

11. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

regular season doesn't mean crap, come playoff time, this yrs draft would be contribute nearly nothing to getting out of first round

12. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

3 reasons mainly:

1. The red/silver era was when I got my fiance more into basketball with me and it's one of the things we have most in common.

2. Even minus the two championships with Dream/Drexler, the TMAC/Yao era is very special to me. Tracy has been my fav. player since he joined Orlando and him coming to Houston was a dream come true

3. The R logo looks bad ass when u make it 3Dish and put smoke around it, the others don't :cool:

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say that battier was the choker for that series.

14. user

user Member

Sure, he was one of the chokers for that series.

Damn! When T-mac was with the Magics, it's a one-man show. Now he's with the Rockets, it's a two-man show.

Some kind of Karma.

15. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

honestly, how can anyone down play battier's performance and his role on our team last year. battier is a ture ball player... solid d, great shooter, great hustle, winning attitude, knowledge of the game... i could go on on all day. only a truly uninformed person would say that battier doesn't make our roster better. battier added to any roster in the leauge instantly makes that team better. and one of the few reasons that were even remotely in the game at halftime in game 7 was because of battier's 3 or 4 treys that he hit in the 1st half.

cd and morey did a great job last year in the draft and last night's work remains to be seen. stop making hasty generalizations, please.

16. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

or more likely Aaron brooks could be out of the league within 5 years...ie Rhodric Rhodes

17. Sextuple Double

Last year is nothing close to this year. Anyone who knew basketball knew what Shane was gonna bring to the team. But Aaron Brooks!!?? What's he gonna bring that JLIII won't!!? We might as well get Aaron Brooks the QB for the Raiders.

18. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Sure...

If we had Adelman as coach, Gay would be the better player to have. Battier fit the team philosophy and to me, he is practically the glue of this team.

Somebody has to do the dirty work. Not everyone can be a pretty boy with their flashy dunks and crossover dribbles.

People like Battier end up with rings.

19. sun12

sun12 Member

That's a good argument. So what you are saying, is: even if there were no trade, Rox would pick a sh***t anyway. Oh, what a brilliant argument. So in your subconsciousness, you know the Rox front office does not know how to draft. LOL

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

didn't you tell me how you were gonna tell me I told you so about the gay/battier trade. I guess this your "I told you so"