1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You guys find this new NBA entertaining?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LosPollosHermanos, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

In this scenario, KD still wouldn't get the extra 10MM. The 10MM would go into the league fund to be distributed. However GSW still has to take the luxury tax hit on that 10MM.
    Its not a good strategy for a small market team like Utah to take unless its going to be very painful for the large market team who is getting the luxury of stacking discounted stars. Its essentially a tool for small market teams who are stuck with unused cap space.

2. smp

smp Member

Nope. The owners need to lockout the players and take control. They are the ones with Billions of dollars on the line. The NFL has the right model in my opinion.

Not performing up to your contract? Cut.

b****ing, moaning, locker room cancer? Cut

Can’t agree to terms in next deal? Franchise tag

Want to mix your politics into the game? Blackballed

Fans want to be entertained. Owners want to make money. Players need to play. Quit worrying about playing with so and so and firming little clicks like it’s a ****ing game of dodgeball in middle school.

The balance is out of hand in the NBA. Time to take control so every team in every market has a legitimate chance to compete.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Paul George demanded a trade with 4 years left on his deal. That is awful for the NBA

4. Major

Major Member

Right, but why would ANY other team do it? What's the benefit to them to make an offer they know will get rejected? They lose cap space and don't get the player anyway. They are just sacrificing themselves for the benefit of the league? That's not going to happen.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it is the perfect opportunity to get a ring, he is ringless, Kawhi got 2 already, he knows how to do it. WB does not know.

It's a tad dramatic certainly.

Extreme Defense wins you championships, especially well executed Wing Defense nowadays.

Switch Defense also, but you have to mix it up with Zone and strictly Man on Man.

malakas and amaru like this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

The same thing happens in corporate America as well (minus the shower part....I hope). Top talent gets poached all the time. Welcome to real life, sorry it’s infiltrating your sports getaway.

7. Major

Major Member

The league is probably more wide-open this year than probably anytime in the last 30ish years.

malakas likes this.
  8. smp

smp Member

Guaranteed contracts, max contracts, and a soft cap are the biggest problems. Make a hard cap, let the team pay whatever they feel a player is worth, and allow the team to cut non performers. The players will immediately stop taking less money. They will play for the team that offers them the most money because there is no guarantee they will stay healthy. Get injured, get cut. Better take every dollar you can get.

Obviously there would be a strike but the owners would win. What else is an NBA player going to do to make equal money? They forget how privileged they really are.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That’s not what I’m talking about. The NBA is pointless if guys sign long term deals that don’t even matter.

persian hoopa, Jake Tower and B-Bob like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Okay. You referred to the whole NBA......well too vast for me.

The George situation won't be unique in a few years but uniquely enough that it won't happen every year.

At least I hope it is.

#50 daywalker02, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Players and teams do not want a hard cap.

There are small market teams and large market teams.
    There are few stars and many role players.
    They all must be represented.

This is why its hard to get parity in the NBA. At the end of the day, teams and players care about money over winning.

12. smp

smp Member

Apples and oranges. Sports leagues are not free market organizations. Not even close. The same rules don’t apply.

persian hoopa and BamBam like this.
  13. smp

smp Member

I know the players don’t want a cap and non guaranteed contracts. Not so sure about the owners. Clearly they don’t want it as bad as the NFL did though.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you misread what I wrote. If you can't honor your contract (the way it was intended to) and you want to sabotage your team then you should be penalized. Vince Carter was calling his team's plays out in an effort to force the raptors to trade him at one point. Getting paid millions of dollars to play basketball comes with some strings, believe it or not

persian hoopa likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

exactly.

ITS A JOB.

Asking for a tad bit of professionalism is too much apparently.

persian hoopa likes this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

That’s at 25-30% of the cap. It player could make their true value it would be 55-60% for a true superstar. Very few players are signing a 5 year 220 mil when they can sign 5 years 440 mil and if they are props to them but make them choose.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  17. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Please....you know we would love it if we could have star players team up and sign here, let's not pretend we're better fans. We cheer Harden and we used to complain how the jazz flopped.

Major and amaru like this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

No I understood it. Welcome to the real world.

19. amaru

amaru Member

Soldiers exit their contracts early more than people think. Welcome to the real world

20. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Ah ok gotcha. Yeah that's a bit different. I think with 1 year left on your contract, it's understandable. But yeah for 2 or 3+ years left, I do think that's BS on the player's part

wesbound likes this.